PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida....got some questions

durcanchris
05-13-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm being transferred to Miami for work. I'm unfamiliar with the city, any suggestions on nice areas or neighborhoods in or around Miami would be appreciated. Suburbs would be nice, under $250K even better. THANKS!!

rjracin240
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm being transferred to Miami for work. I'm unfamiliar with the city, any suggestions on nice areas or neighborhoods in or around Miami would be appreciated. Suburbs would be nice, under $250K even better. THANKS!!

Was stationed in Opa Locka for 6 Years, 6 years ago! Unless you are fluent in Spanish and embrace the Spanish culture get out of Miami, Broward County is the better place to live if you are going to be down that way. There are some Awesome parks in Broward and a little more laid back than in Miami as well as a little lower crime rate. Better schools as well. Where to live in Broward? Davie, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines (but be careful, select the neighborhood carefully). I lived in Sunrise, hoowever it was in a small little pocket right next to an area called Weston (home of Dan Marino, The Rock, Helio Castranevas, and many more celebs). Cheaper house prices probably withiin your budget, but all the snobbery of Weston, withoout the high taxes (expensive schools etc but low property taxes)

LIke any place it is what it is and it is definiitely what you make of it, had a great time while there. Always had something to do every weekend.

Dont have any realtors to recommend,however would recommend not limiting yourself to one, but having several on the hook when you go down to house hunt, that way there if you dont have one that is in tune with your needs then you have another one a phone call away. It sucks traveling to someplace to look at property and the realtor shows you what they like and it is totally different from what you want then havinng to go back to a hotel and start from square one. Get several realtors on the hook (just my .02c worth on that subject from several military transfers over the years)

Couple of links to get you and the family fired up!

http://www.broward.org/Parks/MarkhamPark/Pages/Default.aspx

http://www.sunrisefl.gov/2park_oscar.html

http://broward.expertrealty.com/sunrise/new-river-estates-real-estate
Above link is the neighborhood I lived in, would definitely recommend to you, both links for parks were within 5 minute bike ride of neighboorhood

http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/index

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Congrats on new oppurtunity

DemolitionMan
05-13-2011, 10:43 PM
From what I have read there is a lot of good deals in Miami.

floridamastercraft
05-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Markham is closed for ski boats now :(

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 04:27 PM
All that great cubano food, the cafe cubano and awesome ski schools and scuba diving in the keys at your fingertips... Lucky...

agarabaghi
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
you wont find many places to ski in miami.

i grew up there and the only place in the bay which was decent has not been blocked off. you can still go to marine stadium during the week and when rowers arent there. there is one private ski lake (finger lake) in south miami but im not sure the costs.

TxsRiverRat
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.pbtcenter.com/PBTC/Home.html

Esiegert
05-18-2011, 05:01 PM
You can check Arturo Nelson as well,

http://www.aqasports.com/whoweare.html

jbkriss
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I've lived in Miami all of my 37 years (except for college) and both my parents were born here (rare)... Under $250K, you're going to be way west (West Kendall) or way south (Cutler Ridge, Perrine). As mentioned earlier, your dollar will go a little (not that much) further in Broward county. Nowadays, I live in Broward (Davie) and commute to my job in Miami. PM me your specific questions regarding schools, neighborhoods, culture, freshwater, etc. and I will be glad to help.

PS- Markham is open. That's where I go when I'm not behind the house. It was closed for about a year after Wilma but has been open for the last 4/5 years. My wife's grandfather was an engineer for Broward County Parks and designed Markham so it's a special place for us.

Jim@BAWS
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Please call Mike or Nestor at South Florida MasterCraft

561 737 9423 They can certainly put you in the right direction for skiing

I know MIAMI LAKES has some good sites

Jim@BAWS

durcanchris
05-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I gotta ask....Are there any lakes in Florida that have no alligators!!

durcanchris
05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all of the info so far....PM's will be coming your way when I get solid dates

jbkriss
05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Do you know where your office down here will be? That will play a big factor obviously.

durcanchris
05-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I will be flying alot out of MIA, I would like to live within 45 min from there.

floridamastercraft
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
jbkriss Markham is a nice park. are you referring to the canals with the boat ramps or the lakes in the center? I thought the lakes are for jet skiing only now? looks like the slalom course is gone now too..

Where do you live that you can ride/ski at your house? fresh or salt?

jbkriss
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm referring to the canal on the west side of the park (past the dog park, by the campgrounds). That canal runs parallel to the Sawgrass Expwy. There is also a set of ramps on the south side of the park put you on the part of the canal that runs parallel with SR 84. I use the west side because it's wider and has no bridges. There is a lake inside the park but I have never seen anyone on it. There was a ski club that used it at one time and part of the course remains, but I see mainly RC boats in there. Jetskis use one of the two ramps I mentioned.

I live in Davie in a neighborhood on Nob Hill Rd about a mile south of 595. It's a freshwater canal. Not very long or wide, but good for when I want to ride for an hour or two. When I want to spend all day on the boat, I go to Markham Park. Here's an overhead picture of the canal (looks like a large "C").

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=33324&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.87374,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fort+Lauderdale,+Florida+33324&t=h&ll=26.089009,-80.286949&spn=0.015089,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A

DooSPX
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
You will be hard pressed to find any body of water that does not have alligators in them. Sometimes even in swimming pools.
The lake I ski has alligators, but I have never been bothered by any. Our lake is too busy during the weekend to even see any alligators.

Kyle
05-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Alligators = Kyle's out.

We have alligators in Lake Worth here in Ft Worth Tx. One night we were all (10 boats ish) anchored up at goat island drinking and listening to music with the under water lights on.

We knew gators had been spotted in the lake but probably guessed less than 10 total. We then heard thrashing and splashing within 50 feet away. I could have run on water. I was out and pulling up anchor to go to the truck. Everyone with me knew it was a gator. We peaced out and haven't been back. Since then there has been a 12' caught and relocated back upstream that could come back down stream. Also an 8' and 10' on peoples docks. I'm out.

I don't care how many guns are available to bring or if I went out there with a small army, I'm not getting in.

The image of being chomped then drowned is beyond me.

TxsRiverRat
05-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Alligators = Kyle's out.

Quit being such a puss!

You know if I'd been there we'd have caught it and tamed it as a house pet.

:banana:

Kyle
05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Quit being such a puss!

You know if I'd been there we'd have caught it and tamed it as a house pet.

:banana:

You see these reptiles are bigger then the 5' long snake we caught and brought aboard your boat. You can actually die :)

TxsRiverRat
05-19-2011, 11:57 AM
You see these reptiles are bigger then the 5' long snake we caught and brought aboard your boat. You can actually die :)

LMFAO - you have a spare prop. :eek:

rjracin240
05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Markham is closed for ski boats now :(

They still running the canal to the west??? That is where I barefooted for the first and last time. Was a good time seeing the gators gave you incentive to stay vertical!!!

Lazers
05-19-2011, 02:41 PM
movers (http://www.northamerican.com/)
I haven't been to Miami but obviously know it is an awesome city. My suggestion would be get down there fast and watch the Miami Heat win the championship, haha. I'm rooting for them. I did actually hear Dwayne Wade say though that there are a decent amount of low income areas there. Everyone thinks of Miami as being all glitz and glamor but just like any city I'm sure it has some rougher areas. Enjoy the weather!

dmminfla
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM

I haven't been to Miami but obviously know it is an awesome city. My suggestion would be get down there fast and watch the Miami Heat win the championship, haha. I'm rooting for them. I did actually hear Dwayne Wade say though that there are a decent amount of low income areas there. Everyone thinks of Miami as being all glitz and glamor but just like any city I'm sure it has some rougher areas. Enjoy the weather!

I would have to say the "rough areas" out weigh the " Glitz and Glamor" and don't forgrt to bring a translator.

durcanchris
05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Alligators = Kyle's out.

We have alligators in Lake Worth here in Ft Worth Tx. One night we were all (10 boats ish) anchored up at goat island drinking and listening to music with the under water lights on.

We knew gators had been spotted in the lake but probably guessed less than 10 total. We then heard thrashing and splashing within 50 feet away. I could have run on water. I was out and pulling up anchor to go to the truck. Everyone with me knew it was a gator. We peaced out and haven't been back. Since then there has been a 12' caught and relocated back upstream that could come back down stream. Also an 8' and 10' on peoples docks. I'm out.

I don't care how many guns are available to bring or if I went out there with a small army, I'm not getting in.

The image of being chomped then drowned is beyond me.

We go to Lake Grapevine pretty regularly, no gators there!! Heard of some in Lake Lewisville, but never seen any.

agarabaghi
05-19-2011, 04:02 PM
move to the grove.

TxsRiverRat
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
No gators in grapevine, but... years ago and I have 2 witnesses (one drunk, one sober) that also saw it, we saw an animal with a dog-like head swimming in the middle of the lake (even left a small wake)... When it saw us approaching, it dove under the surface and we never saw it again... We thought otter/beaver/nutrea, at a long distance, I thought it was a tree branch, then thought gator... but then we saw that head and the dive... We still don’t know *** that was and we refer to it when telling the story its name was “Nessy”

We go to Lake Grapevine pretty regularly, no gators there!! Heard of some in Lake Lewisville, but never seen any.

jdl xstar
05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

There's an understatement. Miami is a have and have not city. And there are a ton of have nots and lots of very dangerous areas. Just make sure you don't wander into the neighborhood that goes by the nickname "Pork N Beans"!

That being said, I LOVE visiting Miami but don't think i could live there.

GT500 MC
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
No gators in grapevine, but... years ago and I have 2 witnesses (one drunk, one sober) that also saw it, we saw an animal with a dog-like head swimming in the middle of the lake (even left a small wake)... When it saw us approaching, it dove under the surface and we never saw it again... We thought otter/beaver/nutrea, at a long distance, I thought it was a tree branch, then thought gator... but then we saw that head and the dive... We still don’t know *** that was and we refer to it when telling the story its name was “Nessy”

Call me whatever you want, but I don't ski in any water inhabited by gators, snakes, or sharks. Anything bigger than me, I'm out. I'm starting to get worried about the Northern Pike and Muskie in MN....seen some of those 4-5 feet long..