PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive noise when idling

samll
07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
My 1999 Maristar 210 has a noise (chirping) coming from the drive area when idling. As soon as the transmission is engged the noise stops. Fluid level is ok. Operationally the drive seems fine.

I am wondering if this is something that needs attention. Pease let me know if you have had a similar experience with your v-drive.

Engine Nut
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
My 1999 Maristar 210 has a noise (chirping) coming from the drive area when idling. As soon as the transmission is engged the noise stops. Fluid level is ok. Operationally the drive seems fine.

I am wondering if this is something that needs attention. Pease let me know if you have had a similar experience with your v-drive.

The noise you hear at idle in neutral is normal. With no load on the prop shaft, the gears in the transmission can clash against each other and can be quite noisey. We have been able to provide some relief in that situation by changing the oil in the transmission from Dexron 3 ATF to regular 15W40 motor oil. The motor oil "dampens" the noise significantly.

Engine nut

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Happy b-day E-nut!