PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat- Color Fade

StuSX
05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
So..... the glass guy at my dealer says that this color will come back to match once the water in the gel evaporates when the weather heats up. Boat was floated for a couple months- rest of the time it's been on a lift. I just bought it and it will always be on the lift when not in use. All fresh water.

The dealer put zing on it ( acid based wash), and buffed it, and the color is still a bit off.

Any opinions or experience with this type of thing from the fiberglass/gel coat experts here?

Thanks!

StuSX
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
not obvious from a distance, but on all fours you can see it- see previous pic

Kyle
05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Water is not in your gel coat, probably got blistered or started to blister. That's like saying water penetrated the boat. The acid wash, compound, wax, will not get it out??? My buddy had a mc that was left in the water. We put it on the trailer and used fsr gel from academy. It's acid wash. We used rubber gloves safety glasses and a lot of elbow grease. Option b You can wet sand with 1200 or 1500 grit the whole bottom and then polish it and that will remove it. Option c leave on lift and sun will fade the whole boat and eventually after a month or two it should be blended better.

When I removed the old graphics off my boat and polished it you could kinda see the old style faded into the gel. I left the boat outside during the days for a week and the sun blended it. The boat was in storage at night but 5 days in the sun blended nicely. Then I put the new lettering on and polished and waxed her. Now you can never tell.

StuSX
05-13-2011, 10:04 AM
That's what I thought... water in the gel made no sense. The pics above are where it will sit all summer, so I guess time will tell. The hull is smooth and no signs of any blistering at all. No chips, no bumps, etc..

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Your friends boat was not looking good when you brought it by the lake that day kyle - got any pics of it after you worked your magic on it?