PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater series opinions

West_dt
05-13-2011, 08:29 AM
What's your thoughts and/or experiences good or bad. I'm currently looking for used CSX, x2, or x15 SS. I've heard that there might be problems with the indmar exhaust. Any experience with this?

DemolitionMan
05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
I heard of some issues with those motors.

Jim@BAWS
05-13-2011, 01:14 PM
What's your thoughts and/or experiences good or bad. I'm currently looking for used CSX, x2, or x15 SS. I've heard that there might be problems with the indmar exhaust. Any experience with this?

Call a dealer who knows SaltWater Series boats

Jim@BAWS

Thanks

jim.baws@verizon.net 813 996 2297

Thrall
05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Call a dealer who knows SaltWater Series boats

Jim@BAWS

Thanks

jim.baws@verizon.net 813 996 2297

Reccomend anyone?:rolleyes:
j/k Jim :D

West_dt
05-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Well what's your opinion on them Jim?

Jim@BAWS
05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Well what's your opinion on them Jim?

PM or email me your #

Thanks

Jim

jim.baws@verizon.net

Sodar
05-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I am really, really interested in your (Jim's) reluctance to answer the question here. Is it that you do not want to display the potential issues of the SS Series? Is it that you want the guy's info in an attempt to hard sell him a boat? Is it that you would rather not have useful info on this site, so everyone has to call a dealer to get any questions answered?

I just don't understand why you even participate here when your most prolific response is "Call a dealer"...

flipper
05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I am really, really interested in your (Jim's) reluctance to answer the question here. Is it that you do not want to display the potential issues of the SS Series? Is it that you want the guy's info in an attempt to hard sell him a boat? Is it that you would rather not have useful info on this site, so everyone has to call a dealer to get any questions answered?

I just don't understand why you even participate here when your most prolific response is "Call a dealer"...
Free advertising me thinks

Maristar210
05-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Cameron,

Jim will be glad to answer your question. Call him anytime.

BWB-745-
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
There is a CSX close to our house on Smith Lake, a CSX 225 I think, which ever the smaller of the two is. I personally love the versatility of being able to wakeboard behind it on the lake and then haul it down to the beach with you and troll for dinner.

M-Funf
05-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Cameron,

Nice edit there 210...:rolleyes:

SkiDog
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM

Ive had 2 of them and not EVER had a problem with either one of them.

StuSX
05-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Mine was great- Had the Crusader in a CSXSS and loved it , just not the right application for my lake.. Did have an issue with the exhaust blowing out- but I think that was a problem for all MC that had that kind of muffler on it. in 07.. they put new caps on it and it was fine.

DemolitionMan
05-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Ive had 2 of them and not EVER had a problem with either one of them.

That is because you just used yours to drink on.:D

DemolitionMan
05-13-2011, 08:25 PM
I heard the cooling system is not very good, antifreeze leaks into the exhaust. There has been a lot of overheating issues and cracked heads. Indmar has replaced a lot of these engines because of constant problems.

kenk
05-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a 2007xstar SS with a 6.0 Liter/375hp crusader salt water series engine ...great motor designed for salt water...no afterfit cooling concept...very quiet running...also like hydr steering and other ss features...

Jim@BAWS
05-14-2011, 09:57 AM

There is NO RELUCTANCE on part at all. If the gentleman wants info from the ground up on the SS features I will answer all his questions. The only exhaust issues is the same as on the fresh water ones. The 3 small welds on the exhaust tips have been breaking loose. The manufactuer of them has beefed up the welds. As far as 8 liters go...Everyone knows about them. Since I don't really put 8.1s in our boats unless requested...

What is the purpose of being a dealer if I can answer questions over the phone????

Free advertising me thinks

You think right!!!

Cameron,

Still waiting on that call........

JohnE
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Jim,

I wish you would share your opinion of the SS package on the open forum. I've considered maybe going to an X15, or X25 SS so that I can take it to Cape Cod and Plymouth. Not something I can or would do tomorrow, but it is a thought. It's not near enough in the future for me to call you or Jay or Lee to find out all the details, but something I'd like to read here on the forum. Topics like these are why so many of us come to this place.

Hoosier Bob
05-14-2011, 10:28 AM
The SS package has stars down the side John, The non SS does not. This help? :DJim,

I wish you would share your opinion of the SS package on the open forum. I've considered maybe going to an X15, or X25 SS so that I can take it to Cape Cod and Plymouth. Not something I can or would do tomorrow, but it is a thought. It's not near enough in the future for me to call you or Jay or Lee to find out all the details, but something I'd like to read here on the forum. Topics like these are why so many of us come to this place.

Jim@BAWS
05-14-2011, 11:36 AM
The SS package has stars down the side John, The non SS does not. This help? :D

That wins the JOKE OF THE DAY!!!! Great comeback

Jim@BAWS
05-14-2011, 11:57 AM
The SS package has stars down the side John, The non SS does not. This help? :D

The basic low down is the from the ground up. MasterCraft has gone through a tough validation process to bring the SS package to market...Both MasterCraft and the engine manufactuers have added specfic parts to bring out this product. Hours of validation have been put on the boats. originally a boat was driven from the factory down the Mississippi River to Florida.

From the ground up...

a) galv trailer is a must. As you know MC makes there own trailers so why not get one equipped for salt or brackish use
b) common ground sacraficial zincs and annodes. Located on all external running gear.
c) Hydraulic steering. You get about and extra 1/4 turn in your wheel with this type steering. Works well and you never have to worry about a steering cable again.
d) Lots of additional stainless steel in the boats. Especially the shocks that lift the seats and storage compartments. No CARPET in storage areas. There is of course removable carpet in the boats.
e) Freshwater flush out. just because you have a boat set up for salt does not mean you do not need to still flush you cooling system
f) Motors set up for salt use. 100% closed cooling including the exhaust manifolds. High mount starter and alternators. Different coatings on SS motors for more corrsion resistance
g) addional guages Compass.

That is it in a nut shell. Some folks ask if it is OK to run a Salt Water Series boat in Fresh water. No problem at all. The purchase on an SS boat really opens up another world of boating to everyone. MasterCraft really does it up right when it comes to the SS package. On the retail side of it, it adds approx $6000 to the MSRP price. but also opens up a total different boating experience. Many a customer of ours has purchased a SS boat...but maybe have only gone in salt one time. But they loved it and where happy that they purchased the upgrade on the boat.

The saltwater environment is hard on anything. It does require alot more TLC and cleaning when you are done with the boat. Many folks go put them in a lake when they are done to flush everything out.

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
05-14-2011, 05:17 PM
All CSXs are anniversary boats, right?

Jim@BAWS
05-16-2011, 08:58 AM
All CSXs are anniversary boats, right?

You heard it here first. "RUMOR CONTROL DOUG STARTS EM AND DOUG SPREADS EM"

Jim@BAWS

West_dt
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Anniversary boat? I really want a csx, but they are few and far between and hard to find a decent price on. I've also heard the exhaust and head cracking issues, but not from anyone that saw it personally. I would be lookingat the MCX SS more likely.

BriEOD
05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Nice synopsis Jim. I guess you're not as bad as everyone makes you out to be after all.

JohnE
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Nice synopsis Jim. I guess you're not as bad as everyone makes you out to be after all.

I agree with half this statement.:D

JK, thanks Jim.