PDA

View Full Version : Opinion..Mixed Wakeboard Speakers Cheezy????

X45fun
05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a pair of Skylon Rubicon 350's from my old boat. They are very very good speakers. After spending the weekend with my new boat I have found that the two JL's are not nearly as good (2010 x45). I am thinking of putting the two rubicons in between the two JL speakiers. How cheezy is it to mix speakers on an expensive new boat? Did I just answer my own question? I am thinking of maybe machining angled brackets to point the factory jl's to the aft of the boat and the rubicons to the wakeboarder. This might break up the look. Skylon (who is near me) said that the 350's are the best speakers they have ever made but the stopped making them because they were too expensive. I have JL HD600/4 amp to drive them and they really do rock.

Anyway, does anyone have pictures of their boat with mixed tower speakers or should I just remove the JL's.

jdeml
05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
paint all the grills black, heck Id do it

X45fun
05-12-2011, 11:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing but painting the Rubicons white.....But I think powder coating the JLs black is a better idea.

Cobra Rob
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
get more power to the JLs and you will be much happier

X45fun
05-12-2011, 11:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing but painting the Rubicons white.....

X45fun
05-12-2011, 11:35 PM
get more power to the JLs and you will be much happier

So using the JL600Hd will make the stock speakers that much better?

Cobra Rob
05-12-2011, 11:48 PM
So using the JL600Hd will make the stock speakers that much better?

When I added more power to the tower speakers it made a HUGE difference in quality and volume..

Search and you will see that is a common issue.

X45fun
05-12-2011, 11:59 PM
When I added more power to the tower speakers it made a HUGE difference in quality and volume..

Search and you will see that is a common issue.

Thanks, I will do a search. The question is it is better to leave rubicons in the garage and use the amp for the JL's. I think I will put the amp in and give the JL's a go with the better amp.

FamilyX2
05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
what is currently powering the JL's?

X45fun
05-13-2011, 12:18 AM
what is currently powering the JL's?

Not sure as the boat is getting its 10 hour service. I know its a JL but dont know the amps (sorry to say).

agarabaghi
05-13-2011, 06:47 AM
get a wetsound 485 pod to stick in the middle =P

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe I don't get it, why would it be cheesy?

DemolitionMan
05-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I say powder coat them black.

X45fun
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Maybe I don't get it, why would it be cheesy?

With high end home stuff you try not to mix speakers as they have different frequency responses and sweet spots. Thought it might look funny too with two different speakers up there.

I think I am going to make a custom bolt on tube that bolts to the two inside factory flanges that are on the tower. This way I can mount the skylons on a tube that wont interfere with the bimini. Kind of a fun project too I think.

X45fun
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I say powder coat them black.

That is what I as thinking too. Black would look good against the slate grey and yellow

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Cool - I'm such an amateur in this department, I prob wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. My stereo just stopped working on my boat, we I have to invite people to sing with me for now. LMAO

aaron.
05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
ebay both sets & amps, upgrade to wetsounds. you'll be much happier.

mesquitethrasher
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Get some speakersox to cover them all.

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I really don't have anything to offer on the subjective appearance issue of mixing the speakers.
Dissimilar speakers never effectively sum for amplitude like identical speakers do. So that is more of a cost-efficiency issue when designing a system from scratch. You can double the power and double the speakers but you do not get much of a collective increase above the dominant speaker's output.
The other issue is that when mixing a conventional speaker with an HLCD, just for example, in a one to one ratio you risk frying the conventional speaker, particularly the tweeter. The conventional speaker tweeter has a 1-inch voice coil and an HLCD compression tweeter may have a 2-inch voice coil. The thermal capacity of the two is determined by the circumference which is radically different. Its kinda like driving an 8-inch sub with a smallish VC and a 12-inch sub with a massive VC hard off the same amplifier. You know what will happen next. Plus, the dominant speaker will mask any audible signs of potentially damaging distortion in the subordinate speaker. With a 4-channel tower amplifier you can first tune the JL Audio to limit the power and clipping and then tune the Skylon separately. They won't be equal in amplitude but you can protect the JL. Then always respect the numeric value on your remote display.
Don't assume that you've heard the JL Audio 7.7s anywhere close to their potential off of factory power. While this is a sound quality speaker and a surf speaker and will never be a dominant wake speaker, it will wake up big time with the right power. No comparison. If all speakers are identical then we like to run the JL Audio MHD or HD750/1 to the tower. Its 12.5percent less cost and 25 percent more power to the tower.

David
Earmark Marine

X45fun
05-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I really don't have anything to offer on the subjective appearance issue of mixing the speakers.
Dissimilar speakers never effectively sum for amplitude like identical speakers do. So that is more of a cost-efficiency issue when designing a system from scratch. You can double the power and double the speakers but you do not get much of a collective increase above the dominant speaker's output.
The other issue is that when mixing a conventional speaker with an HLCD, just for example, in a one to one ratio you risk frying the conventional speaker, particularly the tweeter. The conventional speaker tweeter has a 1-inch voice coil and an HLCD compression tweeter may have a 2-inch voice coil. The thermal capacity of the two is determined by the circumference which is radically different. Its kinda like driving an 8-inch sub with a smallish VC and a 12-inch sub with a massive VC hard off the same amplifier. You know what will happen next. Plus, the dominant speaker will mask any audible signs of potentially damaging distortion in the subordinate speaker. With a 4-channel tower amplifier you can first tune the JL Audio to limit the power and clipping and then tune the Skylon separately. They won't be equal in amplitude but you can protect the JL. Then always respect the numeric value on your remote display.
Don't assume that you've heard the JL Audio 7.7s anywhere close to their potential off of factory power. While this is a sound quality speaker and a surf speaker and will never be a dominant wake speaker, it will wake up big time with the right power. No comparison. If all speakers are identical then we like to run the JL Audio MHD or HD750/1 to the tower. Its 12.5percent less cost and 25 percent more power to the tower.

David
Earmark Marine

David, Wow thats great information. I have an HD600 that I used to power the skylon speakers. Maybe I should just try that first with the two factory speakers. The Skylons have compression drivers with horns. I can see that they would easily swamp our the smaller jl's and potentially damage them without me knowing. I guess in order for it to work I would either have to overdrive the JL's or under power the skylons to make them match which really makes no sense.

The other brands look good but I have these rubicons already and dont want to spend an additional $2600 to add two more factory speakers.

I will try the larger amp.

Thanks!

X45fun
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Here are the skylons by the way when they were on my Sanger.

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 12:26 PM
David, Wow thats great information. I have an HD600 that I used to power the skylon speakers. Maybe I should just try that first with the two factory speakers. The Skylons have compression drivers with horns. I can see that they would easily swamp our the smaller jl's and potentially damage them without me knowing. I guess in order for it to work I would either have to overdrive the JL's or under power the skylons to make them match which really makes no sense.

The other brands look good but I have these rubicons already and dont want to spend an additional $2600 to add two more factory speakers.

I will try the larger amp.

Thanks!

I think David has a special on 4 XM7s and a Harpoon for 2k. :D

Again, if I ever buy new I'd go full radio delete on factory stuff.

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Despite CantRepeat's easy solution, that I can't hardly disagree with, keeping it on topic...X45fun, just make sure that the Skylons and JLs are powered by separate channels. From your feedback I think you get it. Just making sure. Just for fun try upgrading the power to the JLs first to note the stand alone difference.

David
Earmark Marine