PDA

View Full Version : Wetsounds speaker wiring question...

willyt
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok... So I've had my wetsounds pro 60s for a season now. I have a kicker ZXM450.2 powering them, simply wired channel 1 - speaker 1/channel 2 - speaker 2. At this output, I'm delivering 150 watts RMS to each speaker, which is exactly the RMS rating on the wetsounds.

However... The ZXM is 2 ohm stable and delivers 225 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Question is, if I decided to wire 2 more speaker wires through the tower and put them in parallel (thus halving the resistance that the amp sees, so 2 ohms) would the additional 75 watts it would be delivering to each speaker be worth the trouble? I know wetsounds rates their speakers conservatively, and the max the amp can deliver is 510 watts (Which is below the 300x2 max rating of the speakers). I also know it's better to overpower speakers than underpower...

David, wetsounds... Some advice here? This is of course, all temporary until I order my x25 with 4 rev10's... Ha

CantRepeat
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok... So I've had my wetsounds pro 60s for a season now. I have a kicker ZXM450.2 powering them, simply wired channel 1 - speaker 1/channel 2 - speaker 2. At this output, I'm delivering 150 watts RMS to each speaker, which is exactly the RMS rating on the wetsounds.

However... The ZXM is 2 ohm stable and delivers 225 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Question is, if I decided to wire 2 more speaker wires through the tower and put them in parallel (thus halving the resistance that the amp sees, so 2 ohms) would the additional 75 watts it would be delivering to each speaker be worth the trouble? I know wetsounds rates their speakers conservatively, and the max the amp can deliver is 510 watts (Which is below the 300x2 max rating of the speakers). I also know it's better to overpower speakers than underpower...

David, wetsounds... Some advice here? This is of course, all temporary until I order my x25 with 4 rev10's... Ha

Just saying, not about your current but next system. XM7s and harpoons.

If I every order a new boat I'll go radio delete on all of it.

willyt
05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Just saying, not about your current but next system. XM7s and harpoons.

If I every order a new boat I'll go radio delete on all of it.

Oh, def, I would have ordered the 25 by now but MC hasn't offered the MK48 torpedo option yet *wink wink MCbydesign...
Yet.. The wiring question remains...

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
willyt,
Normally when you add a second pair of equally powered speakers you should expect at least 3 dB of extra output. That's a worthwhile investment. If you add another pair in this case you will be dropping the power from 150 per speaker, which is good, to 112.5 watts to each speaker, which is definitely underpowered for any HLCD speaker. You'll still hear an increase in volume but it may be half the expected plus 3 db. Also, as you underpower HLCDs they tend to become brighter in texture. Perhaps that's not the goal.
If you added another identical Kicker amplifier simultaneously with another pair of Pro60s you could series the speakers on each side and bridge each amplifier. You would have 150 watts to each of all four speakers and would be running the amplifiers more conservatively resulting in more headroom and a bit warmer tonal balance.
You could also add a pair of Wetsounds MB8s with another and same model Kicker amplifier for an impressive Double-Up system. Much warmer with much better midbass extension and still very loud. In any case, I think you need more power to add more speakers.
As for CantRepeat's comment in the context of this topic...I don't get it. The XM7 is a 6.5" HLCD and the equivalent of a Pro60. I have them side by side on display and most people who audition both find it to be a toss-up which isn't surprising since they are so similar in size. While the tonal signatures are a bit different the averaged output is about the same. You really can't compare either to a 10-inch HLCD.
Speaking of 10-inch HLCDs, we have our Wetsounds Rev 10 samples on display today...as well as the Rev 8s. HOLY TOWER SPEAKER!!!! This is a "Revolution" in HLCD evolution. Got a review going on WakeWorld and posting the Wetsounds Rev 10 results this weekend.
The Rev 8s are shipping this month. The Rev 10s in June.
And we'll have Exile XM9s sometime this summer.

David
Earmark Marine

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
David, I'm pretty happy with the sound of the XM7s you sold me!

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 12:35 PM
CantRepeat,
Thats good to hear and you should be pleased because the Exile XM7s are a great speaker! Given that they are so similar to the Pro60s, if you saw a big difference when adding a second pair then willyt should have the identical experience. But you've got to have the power and it couldn't apply more than for HLCDs.

David
Earmark Marine

brucemac
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
looking forward to the rev10 review....

willyt
05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
david,
sorry, think you guys misunderstood. the first picture is how the system is set up now.

The second picture is after running 2 more wires up the tower to put the speakers in parallel, reducing the impediance the amp sees and delivering more power to the speakers.

Question is, can the 60's handle 225 watts RMS (also.. am i completed retarded for thinking i may be able to do this)?

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 03:50 PM
willyt,
Okay, now I get it. Yes, that should deliver alot of power just before the fire. Sincerely, big points for thinking outside the box though.

David
Earmark Marine

willyt
05-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Haha,
'just before the fire'? I'm assuming it's not recommended to run the amp at 2 ohms and deliver that much power?

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Haha,
'just before the fire'? I'm assuming it's not recommended to run the amp at 2 ohms and deliver that much power?

I don't think you are going to achieve the results you think you might by wiring it that way. In fact, I've never seen that method before. Either its wired in parallel or in series(two speakers to a channel, not two speakers to two channels criss crossed), not in figure 8 fashion.

EarmarkMarine
05-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Enjoy the s'mores.

craig3972
05-13-2011, 07:56 PM
wait till the fire goes out - coals work better on smores