PDA

View Full Version : Recessed battery tray?

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Ok... what idiot designed this?

When ever it rains, which it does almost everyday in FL, the tray fills up completely with water! Lucky the battery sticks out a bit, but its kinda scary to see my battery in like 6 inches of water...

Can a mod be made to drain this tray? or something?

02ProstarSammyD
05-12-2011, 01:21 PM
I modded mine..............by not using the tray. I agree it was not thought out well. I might check this weekend and see whats under it. Would be nice to just have a drain hole in it

Kevin@MWMC
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I was curious about this too. And after a search on the forum, realized there is a reason for it. If anything happens with your battery, such as a leak, it will all leak into the tray and not all over the bilge of your boat. I would personally rather have it leak in the tray than the bottom of my boat.

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Yea im planning on installing a 2nd battery this weekend and was just going to pull both of them out and put then in bins further up, but the wires seem a bit short and i dont really wanna have to buy all aht 0/1 gauge again

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I was curious about this too. And after a search on the forum, realized there is a reason for it. If anything happens with your battery, such as a leak, it will all leak into the tray and not all over the bilge of your boat. I would personally rather have it leak in the tray than the bottom of my boat.

Yea i guess that is the point... but did they have to put it in an area that gets completely soaked? lol

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Is your battery under the front seat or in the rear of the boat?

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 02:26 PM
front seat

carlsonwa
05-12-2011, 02:35 PM
not to hijack the thread here. But does anyone know where one could find another one of those reccessed battery trays for sale? online? I would like to set up a dual battery this year, and would be nice to place it right next to my main battery which is reccessed.

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
front seat

How is water getting in there? I have not had that problem on my 197.

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
im guessing between the back rest and butt rest of the observation seat. It rained really hard yesterday ...

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
im guessing between the back rest and butt rest of the observation seat. It rained really hard yesterday ...

Hate to hear that for you.

02ProstarSammyD
05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Yea not really sure how they get full of water but mine manages to every week. Normally followed by me splashing craptastic water in my face when pulling out the battery and dropping it half way up.

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 04:06 PM
lol i might move it to another box further up... batteries and water should not mix...

TXX9
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
My X9 has the smae problem, but not from rain. I expect it is from when I get water over the bow.
As for having a sealed compartment if the battery leaks, how often do you see good batteries leak? I run optima batteries in everything I have and have never had one leak. If you use a quality sealed battery, I doubt it would ever leak.

Now for drilling a hole. I had the wise idea of drilling a hole in the bottom with the expectation that it would drain into the bilge area. Not the case. I drilled a hole at the aft starboard corner to what should have been the thickness of the plastic tray and did not hit an open area that leads to the bilge area. Now I already had one hole, I went poking (drilling) in each corner and found the same thing. So, now I have 4 holes to seal up to keep water from getting into some unknown area that probably shouldn't be wet.

If anyone else has actually accomplished a drain hole from the battery compartment to the bilge, I would like to know how you did it.

06x2
05-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Don't wanna cover your boat ? :)