PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bunk slides/glides

bxroads
05-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I haven't posted here in a while, mainly because I'm on the competitions tow right now, but you guys have to be the most particular bunch I've seen on the internet so I thought I'd post this question here.

I launch my boat from the trailer three times per week on average. I've a steep ramp thats not exactly ideal for launching. Its wearing out my carpet on the bunks quickly. Loading and unloading creates a lot of friction. I've waxed the carpet. It helped but still not like I want it. I'm considering Surfix bunk slides. Based on everything I've read the boat will basically fall from the bunks at launch and easily pull up on them during recovery. I know that you have to be careful not to dump the boat on the ramp but other than that, is there any reason NOT to use the Surfix bunk slides?

BrianM
05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Don't know if there is any reason not to use them. We have the same steep ramp at our lake. One of the members installed bunk slides on his N trailer and first time out dumped it on the ramp. If you do it be super careful. Personally I don't like them. Just wax the carpet and make sure you dunk bunks completely before pulling back out to load height. Replace carpet as necessary. I have found that although my carpet has matted down in places I have yet to wear through it. Boat has been on and off the trailer at this ramp hundreds of times since I replaced the carpet a few years back.

agarabaghi
05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I have an issue with a ramp we occasionally use that the boat will not slide off the trailer. im not really sure, i think there is not enough angle ...

G-Star
05-12-2011, 03:59 PM
I have an issue with a ramp we occasionally use that the boat will not slide off the trailer. im not really sure, i think there is not enough angle ...

I think this is why the good lord invented reverse :D

Cobra Rob
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I am thinking about LIGHTLY spraying some of that slick bunk stuff on there this year. I have an issue getting it on the last foot or so even with powering it on. Any lower in the water and it's too deep though. I don't unhook until the boat is already in the water though so I am not worried about dropping it on the ramp.

east tx skier
05-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Not sure which trailer you have, Bx, but it didn't take too many times of loading my current boat until I realized that it needed to be floated on to get the most out of my bunk carpet and not leave scuffs on the boat. The old MC I had with the two bunk trailer did not have these issues.

bxroads
05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Prestige trailer.

I'll admit that I don't always load the boat with the trailer in the best position. My wife is backing the trailer 99% of the time and I just take what I can get. I learned quickly that it was better to wear out my bunks and rough up the hull a little bit as opposed to trying to have a civil discussion about backing down the trailer! I was hoping the glides may be my communication compensator!

Also, when it floats on, the bow will come in below the roller. So you have to be careful not to pull on to far, then the driver must pull up a little and get the trailer more shallow for the last few inches of retrieval.

The ramp is gravel with different grades depending on where you launch and the angle you back into it. It's hard for a woman to figure it out (I had to say it).

east tx skier
05-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Give the glides a shot and let us know. I need to wax mine. I don't float all the way on, but I don't power it on. I just hook up the winch and crank.

bxroads
05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It's as close to paradise on earth as you can get. Here's Vader on the ramp before taking a bath.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3456/5716249452_2252b65c98_b.jpg

bxroads
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Give the glides a shot and let us know. I need to wax mine. I don't float all the way on, but I don't power it on. I just hook up the winch and crank.

I just picked up my 196 from some fiberglass work this morning (my brother ran the bow under a dock). This is one of the best fiberglass guys around. He's been building and repairing boats since he was a kid (cheap as heck too, but thats another story). He said not to get the glides. He said that when the boat shifts around during trailering it tends to wear on the hull much more so than carpet. I trust him, he shoots as straight as they come. So I guess I'm going to have to make sure my wife dunks the bunks good every time and make sure to keep them waxed.

timvan
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. It's as close to paradise on earth as you can get. Here's Vader on the ramp before taking a bath.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3456/5716249452_2252b65c98_b.jpg

Where is that at?

bxroads
05-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Its a private lake in south Alabama. The owner likes to keep things on the down low.

BWB-745-
05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
That place looks awesome, how big is the lake?

bxroads
05-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Its sweet, about 100 acres.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/5716325710_85c95dbe84_b.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Its sweet, about 100 acres.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/5716325710_85c95dbe84_b.jpg

Is that green stuff grass or water?

bxroads
05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Its water a couple of weeks after fertilization. Its managed heavily for bass and the water tends to be clear. I can be at the boat guides of the floating course and see the PVC arm all the way out to the turn ball. It floats about 7' deep. They fertilize it every spring to encourage algae growth (better for bass). The fertilizer turns it green in color for a couple of weeks.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Its water a couple of weeks after fertilization. Its managed heavily for bass and the water tends to be clear. I can be at the boat guides of the floating course and see the PVC arm all the way out to the turn ball. It floats about 7' deep. They fertilize it every spring to encourage algae growth (better for bass). The fertilizer turns it green in color for a couple of weeks.

Got it. I am spoiled by all the clear water lakes in this part of the country.

mccobmd
05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I am going to try the slides this summer. I don't unhook my strap until it is in the water so not as worried about dumping it. My ramp is shallow and if I get deep enough to load without powering like Eastie said it floats off to one side or the other half the time coming out.

bxroads
06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Update: today I ordered Surfix slides. I'll report back after installed.

Eagle Lake Rebel
06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again......get a couple of cans of Liquid Rollers and problem will be solved. Apply it to new bunk carpet and it will just about never ware out.