PDA

View Full Version : Need help! My boat half sank

mrm2083
05-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I was working on the boat today while it was on the lift and the back of the lift snapped all of a sudden. I am seriously lucky to be alive as I fell off the boat and it slid down the lift and just barely missed it. Anyways, the back went into the water with a lot of force snapping the platform off the brackets and water came pouring in over the transom. The entire transmission was under water and the the engine had water about half way up the manifolds. The pumps immediately kicked in and in about 20-30 minutes the water was out. My boat is kept in pure SALT WATER! Obviously the engine, even if it works in the short run, will now have mega long term problems. Anyone have any ideas on how I should handle this with the insurance company. The water boat was floating in the canal and i had to swim it back and tie it up so by the time I got everything finished I wasn't really able to get pictures of how high the water was.

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Have you washed the engine off with fresh water? If the engine was not running and the salt water did not get in the engine I would think that you would be ok.

Huskie05
05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Glad you are alright. I agree, with the engine being ok, depending on how long under water it was in.

gatorguy
05-12-2011, 12:14 PM
minimum would be to wash it all off with fresh water. Also draining the fuel my be in order if any water came in through the vent. Most things are designed to get wet, so it should be ok. What type of boat? I'm guessing it's a vdrive from the description.

Sorry for your misfortune, and good luck.

pmkkdx
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
yikes! :eek3: ... I bet that got your attention!!! glad you are okay too!

I agree, if the engine didn't get completely submerged, you might be okay. I would thoroughly rinse with fresh water ASAP, change fluids in engine & tranny. Where I would think the biggest longer term issue would be is wiring & electrical connections.

what boat / engine?

JDJ_205
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the lift. This happened to my friend last weekend - right when he was about to leave on Sunday.

Talk about a nightmare. Hopefully the insurance co. will help out.

tph
05-12-2011, 01:03 PM
You're probably going to need a new starter. Try to drain all the salt water from the bell housing area as well. Good Luck.

rawly
05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I had to wrestle with my insurance company,but they ended up replacing most of the electronics in my boat.I wanted them to replace the boat,but that was not going to happen.Both of the shops I took my boat to wanted to keep the estimate of repairs lower than the cost of totalling the boat so that they would get the business of repairing the boat.Hopefully you can take your boat to a shop you trust that will do what is in your best interest.(My boat is the Swamped X-7 thread) Good luck

mrm2083
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Here are some pics of the lift

TX.X-30 fan
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
How in the world does that happen, what was the lift rated for??

SunCoast 83
05-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Wow is there any warranty on the lift??
Glad you are ok....you could have been seriously injured or worse!!

StuSX
05-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Next time let the other half sink.....

wheelerlake
05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
The guy that owned our Shorestation before us had a cabin cruiser on it, way too big for the lift, and the axle for the pulleys tore through the steel. Between sitting in the river, the extra weight of the cruiser and its age the cables do rust and break, and I imagine salt water can be all the more corrosive. If there's cables, just replace them all at once or you'll be repeating yourself soon. Yes, personal experience, lucky no damage. so sorry this happened to you, good thing you weren't injured. Hope all turns out well for you.

BriEOD
05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
If it were me, I would immediately give the engine and tranny a good and thorough fresh water rinse off. Then, I would get several cans of WD-40 or Corrosion-X and coat the heck out of any thing metal. I would change the oil and tranny fluid. Then, I'd start it up and see how it goes. Other than your platform, your boat might be fine.

Starshack
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Definitely take a lot of pictures and report to your insurance company. You may end up up not submitting a claim but if hidden damage surfaces later you will be covered.

j4rowell
05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Doesn't really seem like it should matter how much the lift was rated for. Those steel beams should not have snapped. It looks like it was the quality of the steel used. Ratings are generally for the cables and motor unless you go with a shoremate lift then it's steel too. Shoremates the only company i've heard downgrades their steel as well.