PDA

View Full Version : Speaker and Amp wiring

scustoms
05-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way to wire the speakers I have with the amps I have..

Can someone take a look at let me know what they think? I did a lot of reading but am rather new to speaker wiring.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=472&pictureid=3066

scustoms
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Taking a second look I think the HLCD's need to be wired in series not parallel. :confused:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Taking a second look I think the HLCD's need to be wired in series not parallel. :confused:

If you put hlcd in series you increase ohm and will lose some watts, the way you have it is ok by me, im sure there are more opinions and ways to hookup ... What are the 4 jl cabin speakers rated at 2ohm?

CantRepeat
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd like to see what david has to say on this.

scustoms
05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
If you put hlcd in series you increase ohm and will lose some watts, the way you have it is ok by me, im sure there are more opinions and ways to hookup ... What are the 4 jl cabin speakers rated at 2ohm?

The cabin speakers are rated at 4ohm and are wired in parallel which would yield a 2ohm load?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
The cabin speakers are rated at 4ohm and are wired in parallel which would yield a 2ohm load?

Yes when paralleled you cut the ohm in half, when is series you add the ohm values. Less ohms equals more watts, more ohms equals less watts. Looks like you are overpowering the hlcds

scustoms
05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok so I realized the error on the HLCD speakers.. Should be 175W @ 2ohm load.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=472&pictureid=3068

scustoms
05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Does anyone see a way to get the bullet 650HPCOAX's in parallel?

I only have four wires pulled into the tower currently it would be nice not to have to pull more..

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Does anyone see a way to get the bullet 650HPCOAX's in parallel?

I only have four wires pulled into the tower currently it would be nice not to have to pull more..

Just splice off 1 speaker to the other like in your diagram

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I read that wrong you will need to run another pair of wires to have all the speakers wired up like in the diagram

EarmarkMarine
05-11-2011, 10:09 PM
On the tower you can bridge two channels into one and safely run the two HLCDs in series.
Or,
You can run those two channels stereo to the pair of HLCDs.
The HLCDs are 4-ohms each.
Bridged power and thermal stability into 8-ohms (seriesed) and 4-ohms stereo (an individual channel to each speaker) will be identical.
The only thing you can't do is bridge the amplifier and parallel the speakers.
You can do the identical bridged/series scheme with the tower coaxials and produce the same power but limit the tower harness to four total conductors.
In any case you will be getting no more than 90 watts to each HLCD tower speaker which is light. But when mixed with standard coaxials you may gain down the HLCDs anyway so that the two dissimilar speakers will be of roughly the same output. I'm definitely not a fan of dissimilar tower speakers because they don't sum efficiently nor is it cost-effective for the amount of output or projection you get. If you try and make the coaxial keep up with the HLCD you can easily fry the smaller coaxial tweeter without really hearing the sound of distortion from the subordinate speaker. I would turn down the treble entirely and gain the two speakers equally based solely on the output of the midbass drivers. Then return the treble to normal and allow the HLCD's treble section to dominate. This should save you from blown speakers.

David
Earmark Marine

Thrall
05-11-2011, 10:11 PM
try this site, it will help you in figuring out wiring configurations, etc.
www.bcae1.com
So will the arc amp put out 175W/ch at 2ohm stable like you show on the HLCD channel?
If so, parallel the 2 coax tower spkrs to one channel as well. You'll still get the 80W to the coax spkrs with only 2 pr of wire going up the tower (1 for the HLCDs 1 for the coax).

Edit: Nevermind, listen to David.

scustoms
05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
But when mixed with standard coaxials you may gain down the HLCDs anyway so that the two dissimilar speakers will be of roughly the same output. I'm definitely not a fan of dissimilar tower speakers because they don't sum efficiently nor is it cost-effective for the amount of output or projection you get. If you try and make the coaxial keep up with the HLCD you can easily fry the smaller coaxial tweeter without really hearing the sound of distortion from the subordinate speaker.

I actually called earmark looking for some Bullet 650 HLCDs and they said you have one pair left.

Perhaps I am going about this wrong I have four bullet 650HP coaxial speakers and cans I was looking to pull out two of the coaxials and replace with two HLCD's. I primarily wakeboard or slalom (the boat is a bit small for surfing)

Few options
Sell the coaxials and run just a set of HLCD speakers?
Stay with the coaxials?

I far from care about being the loudest on the lake but since I have the amps and its 400 for the speakers I assumed it was worth it? Especially since the 6.5" HLCD's are no longer produced if I did upgrade later i would have to buy new cans with them.

EarmarkMarine
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
scustoms,
Without an HLCD you will not get projection from 6.5''s at wake or ski range/speed. Although its not the perfect solution when starting from scratch, you can mix to avoid wholesale changes but I'm showing you were the landmines are buried so you don't do damage. Also, you can add a PAC LC-1 to half the Arc Audio amplifier so you can increase the HLCD contribution during wake/ski and moderate its contribution at rest in close proximity.

David
Earmark Marine

BNIROOSTER
05-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Ok so I realized the error on the HLCD speakers.. Should be 175W @ 2ohm load.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=472&pictureid=3068

To me it looks like the hlcds are wired correctly, but they are mono now?