PDA

View Full Version : VDIG goes dark... again...

mramerman@gmail.com
05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Last season my VDIG on my 2010 x14v would go dark, shutting down the PP with it. It did this frequently, causing the driver to have to be extra on top of the throttle otherwise the boat would decelerate, loosing the skier.

Took the boat back to dealer. Dealer swapped VDIG. System ran fine balance of 2010 season.

Boat de-winterized two weeks ago, first trip out... VDIG goes dark--fortunately not shutting down PP, maintaining speed etc; however, boat needed to be shut down and restarted to reactivate VDIG.

Any thoughts before I haul back to dealer?

Thank you in advance.

vision
05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"

rtw_travel
06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.

I haven't had enough experience with my '12 yet, but what you say is absolutely true for my car. When the engine rpm drops to idle on a weak battery, the system voltage drops enough that a bunch of gauges stop doing their thing.

I wonder if you track the system voltage when running and see if there is a relationship between bus voltage and VDIG problems.

rtw_travel
06-24-2013, 09:31 PM
So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"

On my car, a flaky ignition switch would cause this. However I don't know anything about MC switches to suggest if this is likely.

palm418
07-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.

mramerman@gmail.com
07-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.

I think so? The dealer working with Mastercraft said this particular version of VDIG has a flaw --- there are two ways to start the boat to ensure the VDIG does not lock or go black and that is to ensure the unit has either fully cycled or hasn't cycled at all when starting. As you know, when the key goes from "on" to "start" back to "on" power is diverted from the dash / VDIG. If the unit is still in the middle of its boot cycle it will shut off.

Mastercraft's direction to avoid VDIG shut-off: ...either start very quick (before the cycle begins) or you hold the key in the "on" position until it fully cycles, then strat the boat.

I have to say, armed with this "new" information, my VDIG still (frequently) goes black, causing me to have to turn boat off and attempt to start again. Not sure if I am not quick enough or too quick.

To be honest, I am still skeptical ---my best guess is the power cut off is the issue regardless of timing of the key turn. The fix, finding constant power through the start sequence.

It is annoying and often inconvenient with a skier or boarder in the water; however, I can live with it. My worry is system failure down the road when the boat is solidly out of warranty (which it became this past July).

So Mastercraft---I am trusting you at the moment...

Now to get someone to fix my faulty "Reliable" trailer actuator....

2RLAKE
07-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I have a 2008 X14 and just went through the same thing ... Complete black screen and no PP ... I ended up getting a new VDIG and that fixed the issue for me ... Third VDIG ... Love it when it works!

mramerman@gmail.com
07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
I am on VDIG #2 and the issue remains. The dealer / MC was hesitant to install #3, claiming we would experience the same result.

Do you know if yours is the same unit or an updated model? My dealer indicated a new supplier due to this issue.

bjames
07-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I had my VDIG replaced at the biginning of the season due to one of the buttons not working. So far absolutly no issues.

When you refer to boot cycle, are you referring to the initialization phase where the screen goers white and says "loading......................................... etc?

I too have always wondered about starting the engine before the VDIG has completed its loading.

mramerman@gmail.com
07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I had my VDIG replaced at the biginning of the season due to one of the buttons not working. So far absolutly no issues.

When you refer to boot cycle, are you referring to the initialization phase where the screen goers white and says "loading......................................... etc?

I too have always wondered about starting the engine before the VDIG has completed its loading.

Yes, that is exactly correct. The "official" word from MC via my dealer is to either turn key fast prior to the loading sequence or wait until after it is complete. With this new information in hand, nothing has changed. Turning key fast, turning key slow--VDIG still goes blank on occasion.

2RLAKE
07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
I am on VDIG #2 and the issue remains. The dealer / MC was hesitant to install #3, claiming we would experience the same result.

Do you know if yours is the same unit or an updated model? My dealer indicated a new supplier due to this issue.

#3 was the last part number ... Other two were originals rev 1

tommydbouy
07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I had some trouble with my Vdig going out intermittently earlier this year. I started turning my battery switch to off after every outing and have not had a problem since (knock on wood).

mramerman@gmail.com
07-26-2013, 12:32 AM
I had some trouble with my Vdig going out intermittently earlier this year. I started turning my battery switch to off after every outing and have not had a problem since (knock on wood).

I wish that solved my issue. I turn my battery off too and still have the issue. : (