PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

JEREMY79
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Having trouble with my oil pressure guage. As soon as you start the engine it pegs at 80psi. It has done that since I owned the boat. I have (over time) replaced the guage, sending unit, and the wires. I dont guess its a big deal but I would really like to have it working.
Any ideas??

smsunman1
07-21-2005, 10:07 AM
sounds like a bad ground

6ballsisall
07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Are you sure you have the right sending unit?

smsunman1
07-21-2005, 10:38 AM
forgot about that, I had to replace mine. Like the saying goes OFSD (Order from SkiDim)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Having trouble with my oil pressure guage. As soon as you start the engine it pegs at 80psi. It has done that since I owned the boat. I have (over time) replaced the guage, sending unit, and the wires. I dont guess its a big deal but I would really like to have it working.
Any ideas??
Where is the sending unit located, Which port is it connected to?

PeteS
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
The oil sending unit is located near the fuel pump, under the oil filter. There should be a blue wire coming out, and it operates as a function of ground.

Pull the wire and try grounding it someplace else on the block, and see if that does anything different to the gauge.

A new sending unit can be purchased at DIM for around $20.00. Best of luck.

JEREMY79
07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
My sending unit came from AutoZone. I dont know that it could be a ground as all my guages have the same one. The sending unit has one wire that comes out. (mine are green) it goes to the guage. I guess the sending unit could be bad or the wrong one.

hardycm
07-21-2005, 11:37 AM
If you got the unit from Autozone, its definitely the wrong one. I tried that route once, trying to save a few $$. The problem is that the units on most cars now are binary -- they tell you you have oil pressure or you don't. On boats, they actually output a variable voltage (I think, maybe its resistance) that the gauge converts to PSI.

PeteS
07-21-2005, 11:37 AM
My sending unit came from AutoZone. I dont know that it could be a ground as all my guages have the same one. The sending unit has one wire that comes out. (mine are green) it goes to the guage. I guess the sending unit could be bad or the wrong one.
The way that it was explained to me is that the sending unit uses the oil pressure as resistance for current coming from the guage.

The more pressure from the unit provides more resistance from the current coming from the guage, and equates to a change in the needle location. Therefore, as I understand it, if you unhook the wire from the sending unit (with the boat running), the gauge should drop to 0, then if you try grounding it to someplace on the block, the guage should peg. If those two things both happen, then it's the sending unit. If not, it could be the gauge or a wiring issue.

PeteS
07-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Hardy is correct. My post reflects his thoughts I believe.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 11:42 AM
You said you replaced the gauge, the wiring and the sender. Where did you get the gauge and the wire from. What type and gauge wire did you use?

JEREMY79
07-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I have Teleflex guages.
I dont remeber where the wire came from nowhere special though

was going to post a pic but I cannot get it to work

It is in my galery look at that