PDA

View Full Version : What is this wire I found near my gas tank?

SS LS1
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
While working on replacing my bilge blower hose in my '98 Prostar 190 I ran across this loose Green wire (ground maybe?) located near the fuel fill hoses of the gas tank. It ties into the wire harness connector that goes to my fuel sending unit as you can see in photo #3. Since I have reglued the magnet in the fuel sending unit float the gas gauge is working good again. So is this "ground" wire necessary and where would it have gone to? :confused: The filler neck possibly? Any thoughts?

If this should be in the Maintenance section I apologize up front! ;)

Thanks, Greg :)

kingwoodlee
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I would bet it goes to one of the bolts that hold the filler neck in place. I remember one on my Supra Comp TS6m.

JMann
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Looks like some type of ground wire to me.

rspiecha
05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Read this thread. Ground was removed from filler neck to keep boat from exploding.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10679&highlight=fire+hazard+ground

SS LS1
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Awesome! Umů not the part about the exploding gas tank 8p but the quick reply and the link describing exactly what the reasoning was for the detached ground wire. Gotta love team talk members helping out! :D

rspiecha
05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Just happen to remember reading about it years back. Plus, I don't want fellow members blowing up :)