PDA

View Full Version : most bang for limited bucks

joniron1
05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
I am about to replace the engine in my 1989 prostar 190 due to corrosion through my heads(a large part of the side of one head has been made of 4 tubes of jb weld for the last 2 years to stop water from squirting out,which actually worked pretty well, for lots of hours and fun on the river)My question is for about the same cost I could get gt40p heads or a new 4blade prop,but probably cant swing both right now so I was wondering which would be the most bang for the buck.I wakeboard and run about 275# of ballast @ 23mph (about 2400 rpm's) My boat has generally had enough power I'm really looking for a little steadier pull while wakeboarding .Also are there any items I should replace while the motor is out.I'm thinking of replacing the prop shaft bushing while its easy to get to.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1redTA
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
I would replace the jb welded pieces first, seems like a bad day waiting to happen to me

venetrex
05-11-2011, 07:49 AM
I dunno if its still available, but I purchased a brand new longblock for $1100 shipped to my door. FRom reman engines I think? Even had a 3 yr warranty

Kyle
05-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Pics please of damaged parts

east tx skier
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
There's a complete, professionally rebuilt, multi port Injected PCM GT-40 at my local dealership that would probably make that boat scream. Possibly a little out of the budget. But it's for sale and he's considering reasonable offers.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2011, 12:24 PM
There's a complete, professionally rebuilt, multi port Injected PCM GT-40 at my local dealership that would probably make that boat scream. Possibly a little out of the budget. But it's for sale and he's considering reasonable offers.

Who wouldn't love to repower with that?

Skir68
05-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't! Your boat not fast enough? Why did you buy a MasterCraft?
Gas *** as it is!

Forrest-X45
05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I would replace the jb welded pieces first, seems like a bad day waiting to happen to me

I agree with redTA. You can't run your boat without heads, replace them first then get a new prop in the future. You are on borrowed time with the JB Weld patch job.

jraben8
05-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see pics of the JB stuff too...

gatorguy
05-11-2011, 03:20 PM
You could always use this as an excuse to trade up if that is an option. You know something like: You know honey we will spend XYZ for a new motor and that will come with a bunch of bugs that need worked out over the next few years, time off the water at the shop getting fixed, and we'll spend all this money and in the end it's still the same old boat. Or we could sell it and put that $$ with the money we'd spend on the engine and we could get into a really nice new ______ (insert your favorite new MC). Think of all the fun we'd have.

I've used this logic on my wife, unfortunately she sees right through me.

SS LS1
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree with redTA. You can't run your boat without heads, replace them first then get a new prop in the future. You are on borrowed time with the JB Weld patch job.

++1 if you spend your cash on the prop and the heads crap out then you are SOL. I would rather be out in the boat with a useable (not optimum) prop having fun with my family and friends this summer than not at all. The boating season is too short as it is around here already, the winter would feel even longer if we didn't get to enjoy the boat much during the summer.

CantRepeat
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
If you don't replace the heads, freshen the motor up you the only bang you'll get is a blown motor.

east tx skier
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Who wouldn't love to repower with that?

I wouldn't! Your boat not fast enough? Why did you buy a MasterCraft?
Gas *** as it is!

It has nothing to do with top end speed. It isn't any different, from a displacement standpoint, than what he has in there now. But if he is going to repower, it's a pretty outstanding solution if he can get it to fit under the box. Reliable, torque filled, and 310 hp. Not to many more ways to explain it. I have not driven a ski boat with a better off the shelf engine for slalom. To own one is to love it.

/obligatory engine pr0n

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/Sl3oTW2nnWI/AAAAAAAACXo/ljyqpPuQP-Y/s800/GT40.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
It has nothing to do with top end speed. It isn't any different, from a displacement standpoint, than what he has in there now. But if he is going to repower, it's a pretty outstanding solution if he can get it to fit under the box. Reliable, torque filled, and 310 hp. Not to many more ways to explain it. I have not driven a ski boat with a better off the shelf engine for slalom. To own one is to love it.

/obligatory engine pr0n

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/Sl3oTW2nnWI/AAAAAAAACXo/ljyqpPuQP-Y/s800/GT40.jpg

Serious engine envy:o

east tx skier
05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Serious engine envy:o

Just 10 more hp than my carbie Indmar Carbie with GT-40 heads and the edelbrock intake. Just a beautiful engine from a performance standpoint. I wouldn't dream of tweaking it.

CantRepeat
05-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Just 10 more hp than my carbie Indmar Carbie with GT-40 heads and the edelbrock intake. Just a beautiful engine from a performance standpoint. I wouldn't dream of tweaking it.

No but a little gloss black on that alternator bracket would go a long way to popcorn and drive-in movie!!!

east tx skier
05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
True. But its not for sale. Is just knock new paint off every time i adjusted it every spring hardly worth the bother...at least for now.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
I am about to replace the engine in my 1989 prostar 190 due to corrosion through my heads........Also are there any items I should replace while the motor is out.I'm thinking of replacing the prop shaft bushing while its easy to get to.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you are just replacing the heads, there is no need to pull the engine. The heads can be replaced while the engine is in the boat without much problem. In terms of bang for your buck, I'd say new heads are the way to go. You'll be able to run with the old prop for a bit but will be dead in the water if the problem with the current heads takes a turn for the worse.

joniron1
05-12-2011, 01:04 AM
The motor is definately being replaced,if there was enough corrosion to eat through a head the block cannot be much better ,which is a shame because she still fires right up an purrs like a kitten.The engine I am getting is $1550 for longblock or or 1400 for short block delivered with 2 year warranty.rebuilt gt40p heads are $430 delivered.throw in a set of head bolts(some of mine are so corroded i would have to cut them off) and the difference amounts to gt40p heads or a new 4 blade prop?Given me approaching middle age and novice wakeboarding skills would i get what ineed just from the prop(I'm mainly looking for a little steadier pulling speed (my main wakeboarding buddie and myself cut hard enough for to keep a steady speed somewhat difficult for some drivers ei. my wife)If i could potty train and convince our new baby to give up the formula I could probably afford both,but that seems unlikely!!Also what about the damper plate is that a wear item that should be replaced while the motor is out.

Table Rocker
05-12-2011, 01:16 AM
I would do the head upgrade this year and wait until next year on the prop. You can always change the prop, but if you don't upgrade the heads now you will probably never do it.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-12-2011, 01:58 AM

I have a Jasper 5.8 in my F150 that I had built when I worked there. I worked with the performance dept at Jasper and Ford Motorsports to put it together with all the right parts. Federal-Mogul Sealed Power hypereutectic pistons , Ford Motorsports E303 cam, GT40 heads..... I can appreciate the power and drive-ability that comes with this engine and would love to have it in my '77.

psychobilly
05-12-2011, 02:47 AM
No but a little gloss black on that alternator bracket would go a long way to popcorn and drive-in movie!!!

hehehe CantRepeat lol its not the first time he's been gigged for that alt bracket. lol ;)