PDA

View Full Version : Navajo Lake

seth25
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone have experience with Navajo Lake on the Colorado/New Mexico border. Never been there, looks nice, just looking for some reviews. I will be coming from Denver, so it is about 6 hrs there for me.

Thanks

mrprostar
05-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I've heard great things but also that it is VERY cold. No crowds, decent water, and little wind. We go to El Vado which is another hour or so south and it is very similar. By Fourth of July it is usually ok without a wetsuit, but before that its a "four gasper", as we call it. If you can handle the cold water, you will have a great time.

seth25
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I am looking to go over July 4th weekend. Water temp now is at 50 degrees. Elevation is at 6100', so I was concerned tha water temp may be an issue.

capnkirk52
05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I was just there this last weekend to take my 5th wheel over for the year. Lake level was low but not much runoff has happened. We go to Navajo about 6 times during the summer. Memorial day last year water was 62 degrees, pretty cold. By June is usually warms up to 70-73 range and by the 4th it usually hits 75.

Do you know where you are going to stay? If you haven't reserved a spot, you better do it quick. All the spots that can be reserved usually fill up fast.

Ski-me
05-11-2011, 09:54 AM
We went down there over a holiday weekend, I think Labor Day and was surprised how vacant it was on the lake. Not by yourself alone, but definitely noticible for such a busy weekend.

It was a lot of fun and we would definitely do it again. We rented an RV and towed the boat down as well. Nice, hidden little gem....

x-swagger
05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I grew up on Navajo, and I love it. Very low key compared to the rest of the lakes in NM.

The water is clear and clean, the crowds aren't bad, even on the 4th. If you like to fish it has excellent fishing as well. The best place to find nice water is up the Pine Canyon or towards the back of Frances Canyon. Further North you can get some nice water in La Jara Canyon as well.

I typically don't go there until July, because yes the water is cold. But by the 4th it is nice and if you go there in August it is very nice. 78 degree water with 95 degree air? I'll take it anytime.

Brian B
05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Navajo Reservoir is my second favorite lake next to Powell! They call it little Lake Powell.......

Go in August! Perfect water temp, and weather! I will be making a trip up there with the boat in August. My dad lives 45 minutes away in Pagosa Springs.....

seth25
05-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Going to Powell in august. We were planning to go to Powell over the 4th but are now considering Navajo.

seth25
05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Anyone have pics to share?? It is 8 hours to Powell for me and 6 hrs to Navajo.

capnkirk52
05-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Here are a few. This is right by the Colorado/NM border in Sambrito canyon/cove. You can usually hang there all day with water like this except maybe a couple hours but then you just hang on the shore and have some beer haha. Best water is after the afternoon gust of wind (usually 30 to 45 min = more beer) then from 6pm to 8pm the water is super nice. The lake is low to start this season so there should be ample beaches. It really is a nice place.

Pinion park campground is where me and most of my friends stay. It's a pretty nice place. Only a mile from the marina. The state parks are nice as well but you better think about reserving spots early.

Brian B
06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
^ Thanks for the pics! Love that PWT Xstar! I'm getting ready to plan my Colorado trip for August now! Anyone else planning on going to Navajo in August?

Also, anyone know of lake houses for rent up there? Maybe with a view of the lake? Commuting from Pagosa Springs is fine, but i figured a lake house for a few days would be doable.

Thrall
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Seth,
Tried Blue Mesa?
I've only been there on holiday weekends, 4th and Labor Day and it's nice, hardly any boat traffic and enough areas to find calm water even if it's windy.

Brian B
06-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone going up this week/weekend?