PDA

View Full Version : Tips for changing the impeller on a v-drive

tbmlxstar
05-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I need to replace the impeller on my '02 xstar. I hear it can be tough to remove and replace. Any tips other than practicing being a contortionist?

snork
05-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Throw out the silent master and put straight pipes in its place, bata bing bata boom, problem fixed

seth25
05-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Just replaced the impleller on my 2000 Maristar with the LTR engine this weekend. Very easy, took me all of 5 minutes. Take two flat head screw drivers are pry the impeller out with one screw driver on each side. The impeller should come with some lube, use it generously and the new impeller will slide right in with a little turning motion. Install new gasket, tighten cover, you are set.

CantRepeat
05-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Spray the old one down with WD40 and turn the motor of a couple of times. It will slide out a lot easier.

tbmlxstar
05-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the tips. How about getting to the impeller? Just take the cover off or remove the entire pump?

ttu
05-11-2011, 10:04 AM
just take the cover off. spray a little wd40 in there and bump the starter. should come out pretty easy then.

G-Star
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Best tip I heard was to use a couple of those "old style" metal paint can openers. You can use them to reach the back (or front, depending on perspective ;)) of the impeller, hook on, and yank it out.

76S&S
05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree with G-Star on this one, plus the WD

X-1Texas
05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Just changed the impeller in my 07 X1 and it was a piece of cake. No need to remove the whole pump, just the 4 screws holding the cover plate. Used one of those multi-screwdrivers with the two different bits and took out the larger bit and it fit over the hex part of the screws. Then used a paint can tool and pulled out the old impeller. Will try the WD-40 trick next year.

G-Star
05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I agree with G-Star on this one, plus the WD

Dishsoap works well, too. :)

sully
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
keep a couple band aids handy. :) For putting the impeller back in I take a wire tie wrap put it around the end going first, pull tight, then just keep moving the tie wrap up as the impeller goes into the pump.

kal_dude
05-12-2011, 05:02 AM
spraying WD 40 made all the difference in the world in taking mine out!!! just sprayed a very little bit in the center where the shaft is, bumped the key about 2 times, and it was about 1/4 of the way out, pulled the rest of the way by hand, couldn't budge it before with needle nose pliers, make sure all the chunks are out of the housing, clean inside w scotch brite, spray inside and impeller with binding lube and re-install!!! keep a spare one and gasket just in case, so you don't have any down time if one goes bad when its 95 degrees out!!!

CantRepeat
05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
keep a couple band aids handy. :) For putting the impeller back in I take a wire tie wrap put it around the end going first, pull tight, then just keep moving the tie wrap up as the impeller goes into the pump.

I never thought of that idea! Would make it very easy to get the impeller started.

If its the end of the season and I know I'm not going to reuse the impeller, I just use a set of needle nose visegripes to pull it out after WD40.

http://www.encorestore.com/catalog/6ln_lg.jpg

meotoole
05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I made the mistake of purchasing an impeller puller thinking it would make things easier. It did not. Huge waste of money! The tool is too big to work with on my '05 X10. After a lot of swearing and some research on TT I tried this method - liberally apply silicone spray, bump the starter a couple times (make sure you pull the kill switch lanyard), and pull out with paint can openers and a vice grip if needed. After I got it part of the way out I was able to pull it with my hands. Worked like a charm and took 5 minutes.

TX-star
05-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Changed mine yesterday, dish soap, paint can opener and some needle nose piers

wheeler
07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
mine overheated this weekend. I had a spare inmpeller AND all the tools to change it on the water if needed....however, no way to change an impeller on the water in a 2004 X-10 V-drive. My water pump has to be taken comletely out. The face of the impeller housing is actually touching the silent master, BAD DESIGN!!

First chance I get this winter, that damn silent master is out of there! ;)