PDA

View Full Version : What is your rule?

sully
05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
So we are going for the first time this year and our rule as always been no other family or friends...just in case. My son was really bummed. :( Just wondering if anyone else has first time out rules. I hate to dissappoint him, but I just feel it's a little safer.

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I had this rule but the kids are bigger, stronger, and meaner than I am. Couple of years ago they beat the crap out of me over this rule, its no longer a rule. Shut up and drive Dad....or, Captain Fatty...

samgreazy
05-10-2011, 07:17 PM
haha Huskie, nicely put

MCVOLS
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
We typically don't take anyone else on the first run of the year either, although it is not one of our 'rules'. I reserve the 'rules' for things like, no cheetos, oreos, or fried chicken!

tex
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
My first time out...Please honey...be gentle!

Scott
05-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Too many things can go wrong!! Work out the glitches, then let folks come out..:D

brucemac
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
no cheetos

Thrall
05-10-2011, 07:45 PM
There's definately liability in taking/pulling others, but I have alot of fun with our friends on the lake and wouldn't let that stand in the way of time spent having fun.
I would only bring along people that I generally trust though.

BROUSSARD
05-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Tube+ski Boat=big No-no

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
You get to know people really well when you are on the same boat for any length of time. I choose wisely who I take, especially overnight. Unless they all have bikinis, then I can put up with Cheetos, tubes, and battery operated devices. Usually the wife won't let these types come, well, she does not let them come, I see them in other peoples boats.

Off Topic but funny, at Lake Mead at the dock filling up, kids, wife, and two labs are in the shop getting food, going to the bathroom, God knows what! Boat behind ours was filled with young ladies, around 25 years of age. Lucky guys had a boat full of girls, and they were in a crap Bayliner that looked like it was 15 years old. Here I am in a new X55 loaded, some bumping tune playing that my daughter put in, and these young girls are starting to talk to me. Nice boat! Where you from? 15 seconds of fame was great, then here comes the entire family around the corner. My 18 year old daughter just starting laughing out loud saying check out Dad, I think the word pervert actually came out of her mouth. Get everyone loaded up, wife looks at me and says…nice, real nice honey! (she was teasing) Later that night out of the blue my 9 year old boy came asked me in a loud voice what those girls wanted…. I said son, we will never know….

I love my life! Seriously would not change a thing, but if I was single, had this boat, it would never leave the dock. These MasterCrafts are eye candy at the dock. People just start asking questions.

Covi
05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
No passengers first time out for me. I need to blow the mice out of the pipes and I want all the excitement for myself. I don't need some animal activist saying that they are going to drown. Isn't that the point, they had free room and board all winter. Shoot a little mice twenty feet when that baby comes to life how funny. By the way this has never happened but would love to see it, I tape my flaps shut during the winter to avoid it.

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
We typically don't take anyone else on the first run of the year either, although it is not one of our 'rules'. I reserve the 'rules' for things like, no cheetos, oreos, or fried chicken!

I had the chicken rule too. Well, honestly I never knew it needed to be a rule.

I took a bud, his wife and their son out one time. My bud's wife had some co-workers from Tokyo, called them the Tokyo twins. Anyway, everyone brought their own lunches. You know, sandwich meat, chips, beers and the like. We got out to sandbar and the Tokyo twins break out a fried chicken!!! The entire cooked chicken. :eek3:

DemolitionMan
05-10-2011, 09:04 PM

No Fried Chicken!!!!! That is just UNAMERICAN.

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
No Fried Chicken!!!!! That is just UNAMERICAN.

Fried chicken good, in the boat, sucks come Monday clean up!! :D

DemolitionMan
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Fried chicken good, in the boat, sucks come Monday clean up!! :D

That why I eat on the deck, gives myself a meal and the piranhas.:D

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Does put out or swim count as a rule?;)

PS Eastie is not a very good swimmer!

StuSX
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
So we are going for the first time this year and our rule as always been no other family or friends...just in case. My son was really bummed. :( Just wondering if anyone else has first time out rules. I hate to dissappoint him, but I just feel it's a little safer.

Just in case of what? To clarify, what does "first time out" entail? Is it an all day event, or an hour set with the family?

BriEOD
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
no cheetos

Cheez Balls?

BriEOD
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM

You're sick Bob!

JohnE
05-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Lmao, schenk

MyCabinFever
05-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I look at it this way. If my three girls still want to hang with ol Dad, then bring the friends along. The more the merrier. I can just chalk up teaching another one how to ski or board. I have always said, and I'm taking a risk throwing this out there on TT, that a boat is one of the worst financial investments, however it is the best investment I could ever make in my family.

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
I look at it this way. If my three girls still want to hang with ol Dad, then bring the friends along. The more the merrier. I can just chalk up teaching another one how to ski or board. I have always said, and I'm taking a risk throwing this out there on TT, that a boat is one of the worst financial investments, however it is the best investment I could ever make in my family.

Well said, perfect, I agree.

rzafire
05-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The way I see it, the way we all take care of our boats, there should be no need to get a test run in, or work out the bugs. I would much rather my kids have fun with me and be with me, and want to bring their friends on my boat, rather than have them opt to stay home from trips when they get older. If they are hanging at my house, I know exactly what the kids are doing, right? Be the cool Dad and bring them along!

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
tbh, the only rule I enforce is the topless Tuesday rule.

UrbantuxTN
05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
tbh, the only rule I enforce is the topless Tuesday rule.

I riding with you.... on Tuesdays!

itstone55
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
To each his own, that's an odd rule to me. I doubt anything different would happen the first time of the season versus the last time. The X-15 is my fifth boat and by far the best no worries at all about anything happening.

tex
05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
My first time out...Please honey...be gentle!

Hoosier Bob
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Have you seen him with his top off? You may want to re-think things. Oh, stay away on moonday too!I riding with you.... on Tuesdays!

Maristar210
05-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Whawhoois stuSX?

Stu??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Hoosier Bob
05-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Sounds like a fan! Stu SX! HA!:DWhawhoois stuSX?

agarabaghi
05-11-2011, 12:29 AM
hmm... its always summer here in FL, there really isnt a "first time" out.

Maristar210
05-11-2011, 12:38 AM
My rule is if you are a pain in the a s s boat owner who only lets clear beverages and bikinis on you boat I will show up with sand covered sandals and cheetos.

Life is waay to short to be an a s s hole about a stupid boat. It's just a stupid boat. You know that right?

BNIROOSTER
05-11-2011, 07:04 AM
My rule is if you are a pain in the a s s boat owner who only lets clear beverages and bikinis on you boat I will show up with sand covered sandals and cheetos.

Life is waay to short to be an a s s hole about a stupid boat. It's just a stupid boat. You know that right?

Hmmm must be retired with lots of time to clean up!! lol j/k

CantRepeat
05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Hmmm must be retired with lots of time to clean up!! lol j/k

I am retired and Monday is clean up day, but I'd just leave him and his cheetos on the dock!

03geetee
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
First time out with a classic I agree with a few other posters...all that work "I" did over the winter to keep her alive and running smooth is why "I" am the only person in the boat for the first run. I want to listen, watch, and smell everything to make sure she is all good then I might whisper a few sweet nothings if shes running good, or scream a few choice words if she is not. Regardless when I am through and things are good everyone is welcome to party on the ol girl that is what a boat is for FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

JTR

davidstan
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Same rule exactly.

SkiDog
05-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Good one Steve! I agree 1000%. Its just a damn boat that will come clean, and can be fixed. Life's too damn short to sweat the small stuff! ALTHOUGH, my ONLY rule, I did not allow smoking on my boat.

BriEOD
05-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Good one Steve! I agree 1000%. Its just a damn boat that will come clean, and can be fixed. Life's too damn short to sweat the small stuff! ALTHOUGH, my ONLY rule, I did not allow smoking on my boat.

I thought your only rule was no bikini tops?

chawk610
05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Same rule exactly.

Agreed! Last thing I need are my 9 year old daughters freaking out when the boat dies!!!

TX.X-30 fan
05-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Pervert.....

StuSX
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Whawhoois stuSX?

It's me.

And I agree about being uptight about boats.. life is too short to be an A$$hole about the small stuff.... and I didn't understand his question in the first place re: in case of things happening and the significance of the first time out...:confused:

chawk610
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I think the point is... the first trip out of the year you can run into problems like engine troubs, water leakes, etc... the last thing you need when making adjustments / repairs on the water is 5 extra people in the way. Not to mention... inviting people out to look like an azz when things go wrong with your boat. You guys with the new 50k boats may not experience this as much as us with 20yr + old boats. :)

StuSX
05-11-2011, 10:27 AM
He has a 2009 X14..... If he's worried about mechanicals, take it out alone for an hour the day before...

chawk610
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
That would be the "first time out" then... :)

02ProstarSammyD
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Rule #1-No one but our lil family on the boat when the kids are on.
Rule #2-No kids, family, or friends out on first trip (did it this year and turned into a disaster)
Rule #3-Listen to the captain
Rule #4-No shoes in the boat (no one seems to get this)

DemolitionMan
05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Just don't hit the boat with your ski or board.

starman205
05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
No rule, but I do warn anyone coming out with me that anything can happen the first time out, so don't complain if we have to go home early!!! So far nothing significant ever has happened to return early, my 197TT is built like a tank!!!!!

GT500 MC
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
No first-time out rules. But like Starman, I give everyone a warning, my own disclaimer. Besides, when things do go wrong, it's usually a good teaching lesson for the kids, AND a patience-tester for the wife. I want the kids to be able to handle a little adversity and understand that the boat just doesn't run infinitely on it's own. Yea, being towed in is a bit embarrassing, but it usually makes for a good story the day-after.

And no Cheetos...

Skir68
05-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Wow! Being a new ( to me) bOat owner, I can appreciate all the
Comments about cheetoes and cheeseballs! I think I'll make those same rules
For our boat! Thanks guys!

Dylan
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Rule #2-No kids, family, or friends out on first trip (did it this year and turned into a disaster)

Those are my only two rules, yet they both are rarely followed. First trip out of the season is always a warning, but all are welcome. I usually do my initial check when pulling it off the trailer.

SkiDog
05-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Thats not a rule, its a REQUIREMENT!:D

SkiDog
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Rule #5- You will have NO fun whilst in my boat!

TonyB
05-11-2011, 02:43 PM
There's nothing that hasn't been done or eaten on my boat.

Just sayin'.

chawk610
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
nothing... nothing??? :)

gatorguy
05-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I told my kids that it was just us no friends for the 1st trip this year, but it was also my 1st season with this boat, and I winterized it myself, so I was anxious. Next year I probably wont make any big deals about who comes, but I also won't plan any big excursions until the boat has been water tested once.

As far as eating, shoes, etc... I try to enforce common sense standards, but my wife is above any of the rules, and I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut. That way when it is a school night and I want to take the kids out for a quick set, I don't get any feedback.

Iskidaily
05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Gosh, "first time out" for me tends to be pretty early in the year, so anybody willing to go to the lake for cold water skiing pretty much self - selects out the crowd you might not want.

gatorguy
05-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Gosh, "first time out" for me tends to be pretty early in the year, so anybody willing to go to the lake for cold water skiing pretty much self - selects out the crowd you might not want.

Ya, I didn't mention that, but on our first trip all the fishermen aroung had on jackets and warm hats.

JMann
05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
"No boobs no beer no rides"

02ProstarSammyD
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Rule #5- You will have NO fun whilst in my boat!
rule #6-no smiling in the boat. Fun is to be had in the water and only in the water. Even 303 can't protect against fun

do moobies count? You might want to be clear on this

BNIROOSTER
05-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I am retired and Monday is clean up day, but I'd just leave him and his cheetos on the dock!

....he must also have ALOT of disposable cash too!!! :) :)

Huskie05
05-11-2011, 05:27 PM
There's nothing that hasn't been done or eaten on my boat.

Just sayin'.

Can you say Blood Born Pathogen!? I hope you have wet wipes, good for all types of situations.... so I am told.

BNIROOSTER
05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
First time out with a classic I agree with a few other posters...all that work "I" did over the winter to keep her alive and running smooth is why "I" am the only person in the boat for the first run. I want to listen, watch, and smell everything to make sure she is all good then I might whisper a few sweet nothings if shes running good, or scream a few choice words if she is not. Regardless when I am through and things are good everyone is welcome to party on the ol girl that is what a boat is for FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

JTR

sounds alot like a first date!

sully
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, Went out with just me and my son. Glad I kept the rule. It was fun to just out with just him.

TX.X-30 fan
05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
sounds alot like a first date!

My meter was pegged too...........:D

hbomb
05-12-2011, 03:30 AM
I had this rule but the kids are bigger, stronger, and meaner than I am. Couple of years ago they beat the crap out of me over this rule, its no longer a rule. Shut up and drive Dad....or, Captain Fatty...

holy crap batman.......... found my long lost twin brother!!!!!!!!!
shut up and drive and captain fatty you say........ thats how it goes on the X2.......

they even bought me a "Captains Hat" to go with the image!! just to make me feel important!!

Traffic53
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
our rule is not to live by any ridiculous rules.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Nice job for post #6. :purplaugh

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Rule # 8 don't scratch my anchor.

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
1st day out rules:

1. dont coach my skiing 1st day

2. dont call the wahhmbulance if I complain about spray leg

3. don’t dial the PP to 34 yet

4. show a little compassion on monday when I send the “OMG I’m sore as hell” email

Other than that – be on time and I get the 1st set of the season

DooSPX
05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
The beauty of a closed bow and no backseat. I can take a maximum of two other people. My driver and a babe normally.

aaron.
05-12-2011, 05:50 PM

My thoughts exactly.

***, Grass, or Cash, nobody rides for free. ;)

pram
05-12-2011, 06:57 PM
A no visitor rule on the first outing??

you are just as likely to break down in July as you are in the beginning

I have never heard of such a rule

but it's your boat

do what you want

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
My 1st outing of the year for the last 10 years has been on Jan 1st.

the rule is to KEEP THE CAMPFIRE BURNING!

pram
05-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I riding with you.... on Tuesdays!

you have a thing for topless guys?

pram
05-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I think the point is... the first trip out of the year you can run into problems like engine troubs, water leakes, etc... the last thing you need when making adjustments / repairs on the water is 5 extra people in the way. Not to mention... inviting people out to look like an azz when things go wrong with your boat. You guys with the new 50k boats may not experience this as much as us with 20yr + old boats. :)

if you run the boat in the driveway, where does the problem lie?

TX-star
05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
That rule seems good,first time out this year the engine started smoking on me.

CantRepeat
05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
That rule seems good,first time out this year the engine started smoking on me.

I think you're doing it wrong. :o

TX.X-30 fan
05-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I heard Mod1 makes everyone wax his bilge.

Hoosier Bob
05-12-2011, 11:24 PM
I agree but... No rules here but if you p*** in my bilge, throw your empties in my bilge, leave chicken bones everywhere and step on my seats you aren't going out in my boat again. Sorry Steve but once was enough!:DMy rule is if you are a pain in the a s s boat owner who only lets clear beverages and bikinis on you boat I will show up with sand covered sandals and cheetos.

Huskie05
05-12-2011, 11:33 PM
A no visitor rule on the first outing??

you are just as likely to break down in July as you are in the beginning

I have never heard of such a rule

but it's your boat

do what you want

Prambold!

Not sure if I was not breast feed as a child, but your picture of the clown really scares the crap out of me.

Iskidaily
05-13-2011, 07:11 AM
holy crap batman.......... found my long lost twin brother!!!!!!!!!
shut up and drive and captain fatty you say........ thats how it goes on the X2.......

they even bought me a "Captains Hat" to go with the image!! just to make me feel important!!

I will have to figure out how to prevent my kids from seeing this thread... they would buy me the hat in a nanosecond...

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 07:38 AM

That's just ridiculous!! :D Everyone lives for topless Tuesdays!

Huskie05
05-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Wait, is that the same as Taco Tuesday? Cause I love Taco Tuesday.

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Wait, is that the same as Taco Tuesday? Cause I love Taco Tuesday.

Pretty close, but we call that no underpants Thursday. :D :D

Traffic53
05-14-2011, 06:44 PM

that's not a rule, that's an event. i'm all for events, especially if they become unruly.

-V-
03-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree but... No rules here but if you p*** in my bilge, throw your empties in my bilge, leave chicken bones everywhere and step on my seats you aren't going out in my boat again. Sorry Steve but once was enough!:D

So where do you put your empties?

Fast50dad
03-25-2012, 04:25 PM

I totally agree! Around work the phrase "the best day of boat ownership is the day you buy and the day you sell it.". Either they didn't have a family to spend time with it, and/or it wasn't a Mastercraft!:D

flya750
03-25-2012, 04:38 PM
I call my boat a memory pit... and I make it a point to never look @ the spreadsheet ;) ;)

atlfootr
03-25-2012, 09:10 PM
There is NO first time rules here, reason is the season NEVER ENDS!
But I don't allow shoes of any kind on the boat, barefeet only.
After all it's a Barefoot 200 for crying out loud!

onewheat
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Wow, I couldn't have said this better.

CantRepeat
03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Is it Tuesday yet? You gotta have rules!

-V-
03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
so am I the only one that keeps his "empties" in the ski locker?

onewheat
03-25-2012, 11:55 PM

I just crush it and throw it back in the cooler.

trickskier
03-26-2012, 08:52 AM

No - That's where I throw mine too. However, I do use a trash bag in the ski locker.

tex
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
My 197 has that small box right by the driver's seat=emergancy ice chest/trash can!

JDJ_205
03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Tube+ski Boat=big No-no

Agreed! Buy an I/O if you plan on "tubing".

02ProstarSammyD
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Agreed! Buy an I/O if you plan on "tubing".

My kids can tube any time they want........just on open water. My buddies can ride the tube in serious chop as long as some serious flips are guaranteed. Women can do absolutely anything they want as long as it doesn't put anyone in danger, cause me cleaning time, damage the boat, and is providing g, c, or A.

Like tubes in open water are half as annoying as lake lice

I just crush it and throw it back in the cooler.
Guy I was boarding with last year screwed a lil trash can to the inside wall under the observer seat and just popped a trash bag in. Thought it was a pretty slick way to keep crap from building up. Our lake is a dry lake so having 1 or 2 open in sight is better than having 20 empties in the cooler

GT500 MC
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
My kids can tube any time they want........just on open water. My buddies can ride the tube in serious chop as long as some serious flips are guaranteed. Women can do absolutely anything they want as long as it doesn't put anyone in danger, cause me cleaning time, damage the boat, and is providing g, c, or A.

OK SammyD, I thought I knew most of the vernicular on this board, but you'll have to tell me what g, c, or A means. I think I know what the A is....:o

02ProstarSammyD
03-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Gas, cash, or assets

FoggyNogginz
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
MC should have called that cubby hole a trash can all along. It makes a horrible cooler, but it will hold about a case of beer cans.

Hammers96PS205
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Only 3 rules I can think of and they apply all the time: Drain your shorts on the swim platform instead of in the boat, be mindful of your fins, and the seats are not steps!!

Other than that, lets burn some expensive fossil fuel and have some fun!!!

Ironhorse
03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Wife/driver must make sure there is always a cold beer for after a set.....regardless of the time of day.:toast:

SkiDog
03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Wife/driver must make sure there is always a cold beer for after a set.....regardless of the time of day.:toast:

I like the way you think!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

CantRepeat
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I like the way you think!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

And topless on Tuesday!! 8p

SkiDog
03-29-2012, 06:31 PM
And topless on Tuesday!! 8p

Oh, NO doubt!

mitchelmilitiapres
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
No first run here either! Just a certain time frame when it's difficult to convince folks to come out on the boat, when the water and the air are the same temperature, 60!

No dust to shake out of the boat. Going year round! '08 X-Star with 1500 hours!:D:D

AZX9
03-30-2012, 01:21 AM
First day out is always prefaced with a run in the driveway. Paranoia will destroya. Not that big of deal if my sons digdong friends day is ruined. I agree with the clown, just as much chance that the boat will have an issue in July.

acguy714
03-30-2012, 02:57 AM
Tube+ski Boat=big No-no

What makes you say this!!!!

Iskidaily
03-30-2012, 07:37 AM
I figure if they're willing to put on the cold weather gear to be with me, we're good to go! I'd rather have lots of hands with me if there should be a "***?" moment!