PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Drill Combo Suggestions

Rockman
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Hey folks,

I am in the process of purchasing a new Drill Combo and have narrowed my selection down to 2 Milwaukee combos.

Any suggestions on which one to get?

I do alot of side job construction type work so the combo would be used alot, definitely more than just a weekend toy but not to be used 24/7. I know people who own both and they bothgive high reviews.

Your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F7BIMG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=035575HP0ANS2FH661EZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Cost is approximately $275
Lithium Ion Batteries (slim ones)

M18 " Compact Drill/Driver Delivers 400 In-lbs of Torque and is Only 4 lbs. and 7 " Long
M18 " Hex Compact Impact with the Milwaukee 4-Pole Frameless Motor Delivers 1400 In-lbs. of torque
Voltage: 18V
Battery: (2) 18V LITHIUM-ION Compact Battery Packs (48-11-1815)
Charger: 30-Minute Charger
Carrier: Carrying Case
Includes: Compact Driver (MWK-2601-20), 1/4" Hex Impact Driver (MWK-2650-20), (2) 18V LITHIUM-ION Compact Battery Packs (MWK-48-11-1815), 18V Charger (48-59-1801), Carrying Case

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WJH9WO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=035575HP0ANS2FH661EZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Cost is approximately $350
Lithium Ion Batteries (larger ones)

The Milwaukee M18 cordless 2-tool combo kit includes the 1/2in. Hammerdrill/Driver (2602-20) and Impact Driver with 1/4in. hex (2650-20). The M18 Cordless System's Lithium-Ion battery, patented technologies and electronics, innovative motor design and superior ergonomics provide the most efficient blend of power, weight and performance in the industry. Tools Included: Hammerdrill/ Impact Driver, Storage Case Included: Yes, Volts: 18, Battery Type: Li-Ion, Battery Included: Yes (2), Charger Included: Yes

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't have any advise on which to get, but from some reading I had done, do not leave the batteries on the charger once they are charged. It's been stated that will reduce the battery life greatly.

JimN
05-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey folks,

I am in the process of purchasing a new Drill Combo and have narrowed my selection down to 2 Milwaukee combos.

Any suggestions on which one to get?

Get the one with larger batteries. The storage capacity is better and Li-Ion batteries don't die slowly- they get to the cutoff point and stop, signalling that it's time to recharge. They have LED charge state indicators and if the battery has been overcharged, abused or gets too hot, they have a chip inside that stores the information

If you have a Milwaukee Electric Tool repair center near you, look for refurbs. They don't refurb batteries but they sometimes have kits that weren't selling, so they sell each item separately.

rjracin240
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Gonna throw a twist in here, but my recommendation is go to Home Depot and buy Ridgid, you cant beat the warranty. Free batteries, free brushes, etc.
Sure beats buying a new drill set every two-three years when you weigh the cost of batteries to a new set! Just my .02c

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SF_TH_PR_RIDGID_Power_Tools_Warrant y&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I had a the same dilema last year, except I was going between 2 makita kits. I love having the impact driver, but I did make the mistake of buying the cheaper kit with the smaller batteries. For occasional small projects they last fine, but for larger jobs, the bigger batteries would be nice. I love the light weight of the smaller batteries though.

ctjahn
05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Gonna throw a twist in here, but my recommendation is go to Home Depot and buy Ridgid, you cant beat the warranty. Free batteries, free brushes, etc.
Sure beats buying a new drill set every two-three years when you weigh the cost of batteries to a new set! Just my .02c

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SF_TH_PR_RIDGID_Power_Tools_Warrant y&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Hows the durability of Ridgid???? My first set of Dewalt lasted for quite a few years and almost daily use and abuse... My second set is toast after a couple years first the batteries and now the chuck is pretty much worn out (SLOP).

Rockman
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
My first set of Dewalt lasted for quite a few years and almost daily use and abuse... My second set is toast after a couple years first the batteries and now the chuck is pretty much worn out (SLOP).

That's exactly what happened to my Dewalts...I bought 2 of them when I got out of college and they lasted me 8 years on the same batteries...bought a new Dewalt about 3 years ago and one of the two batteries died after 1 year. So I just bought another battery but performance is not as good.

Not sure what is up with their drills but I did notice a number of them in the trade in bin at Home Depot within the last year.

DemolitionMan
05-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I have no experience with the Milwaukee. I have always been a dewalt guy but my wife bought me a hitachi drill combo for Christmas it seems to work very well.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Ridgid is great for the wife but I would not recommend that for other applications........

rjracin240
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Hows the durability of Ridgid???? My first set of Dewalt lasted for quite a few years and almost daily use and abuse... My second set is toast after a couple years first the batteries and now the chuck is pretty much worn out (SLOP).

I beat the crap out of mine, after not being impressed with my Milwaukee 14.4 drill bought a Ridgid 7 years ago still going with one set of batteries being warranteed with no questions asked. Also bought a 12 volt combo drill which I used working on aircraft and use the impact driver when kart racing, both have been flawless.

Also bought a 41/2 grinder after burning up a Hitachi, and a jig saw. They definitely have me sold on em.

DemolitionMan
05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Not to jack this thread but has anyone noticed that Lowes has a lot of their kobalt tools on clearance and some of their power tools.

milkmania
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
girlfriend bought me a makita 18v li-on and I couldn't be happier as far as torque and life of charge...
got it for Christmas, so I cannot tell about the longevity of it, but I've got a couple of contractors over here here this morning putting OSB on a storage building, (getting ready for steel siding) and when their batteries depleted, I gave them my drill.... they're still on the same battery charge as I had several weeks ago. and if it does go down, 20 minute charge, and they're good to go

It's the same as this one, but my package only had 1 battery :(

Slinkyredfoot
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Go with the fat batteriers on the Milwaukee, more run time for sure and if you are using it a lot you will be happy. Not trying to promote our company but we have a Milwaukee 18v combo kit with hammer drill driver, impactor, sawzall, 2 fat pack 18v lithium batteries, charger and case for $359 if you are interested.

Website baileytools.com, or contact me.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Go with the fat batteriers on the Milwaukee, more run time for sure and if you are using it a lot you will be happy. Not trying to promote our company but we have a Milwaukee 18v combo kit with hammer drill driver, impactor, sawzall, 2 fat pack 18v lithium batteries, charger and case for $359 if you are interested.

Website baileytools.com, or contact me.

Shameless self-promotion..............:D

captain planet
05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a 1/2" Milwaukee 14.4 V Drill/driver that I have had for 13 years and it is great. I'm on the second set of batteries and I have used it a bunch over the years. I would definately get another Milwaukee after this one finally dies, although I fear with Milwaukee being in lowes and home depot the quality isn't what it used to be. :o

I would get the set with the bigger batteries.

And WOW on that Ridgid deal with free batteries. I can only guess that they didn't build the tools to last very long to be able to provide "lifetime batteries". Are they that bad TX?

JimN
05-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I have a 1/2" Milwaukee 14.4 V Drill/driver that I have had for 13 years and it is great. I'm on the second set of batteries and I have used it a bunch over the years. I would definately get another Milwaukee after this one finally dies, although I fear with Milwaukee being in lowes and home depot the quality isn't what it used to be. :o

I would get the set with the bigger batteries.

And WOW on that Ridgid deal with free batteries. I can only guess that they didn't build the tools to last very long to be able to provide "lifetime batteries". Are they that bad TX?

They're not at Lowes- that ended in '08. HD gets the same models as the other suppliers- there's no difference. They can't afford to put out crap any more than another company can.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
". Are they that bad TX?

Ridgid/Rigid............... Good for the wife??? Damn I laughed to myself. :D

Only experience I had was with their staple guns I had to buy for 1 job so I went cheap and passed on Duofast. 2 out of 5 broke in 5,000 sq. ft. of siding. Sounds like others are having good luck.

Slinkyredfoot
05-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Shameless self-promotion..............:D

This is the way I roll, just trying to get the dude the best bang for his buck and put some money in my pocket for necessities. :D

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I have the Milwaukee stuff. I have had it since it came out and beat it up pretty good. I bought from the CPO outlet. 28V set with 2 batteries, circ saw, drill/hammer driver and a sawzall. Added a 28v 1/2 impact driver later and love it. I only use every 3-4 weeks so I have to charge usually. They are very well built and do a great job. The circular saw and sawzall's cut and cut long time! Great at the farm.

Would have bought from Slink but I learned after he had them!

ctjahn
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM

I should add that I am what I consider a fairly heavy user. Not for my job or career but...... Used heavily 3 or more days a week while remodeling the house, fabricating car stuff, garage work, and/or etc....

That is why I was concerned about reliabilty (and sorry to thread-jack but I think this is a great topic!)

Thx!
Cj

JimN
05-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I have the Milwaukee stuff. I have had it since it came out and beat it up pretty good. I bought from the CPO outlet. 28V set with 2 batteries, circ saw, drill/hammer driver and a sawzall. Added a 28v 1/2 impact driver later and love it. I only use every 3-4 weeks so I have to charge usually. They are very well built and do a great job. The circular saw and sawzall's cut and cut long time! Great at the farm.

Would have bought from Slink but I learned after he had them!

I bought my first 18V hammer drill from someone who's a design engineer for Milwaukee Electric Tool and while I waited for him to get done with work, I saw a couple of 2x12's with three rows of holes, leaning up against the engineering building. I counted 24 rows of 3 good-sized holes and when he came out, I asked if they had all been bored with one 28V battery. He said yes, and they were all 2-9/16", which is their largest self-feeding bit but he added that the other board had the same number- 48 holes with one charge and no real signs of fatigue. He also asked if I wanted his corded circular saw, since he couldn't see a reason to keep it when the 28V work so well.

Rockman
05-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Slinkey,

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely bookmark your company for future purchases but I ordered from Amazon this afternoon (the itch to buy was bad! :D).

I did order the 18v driver and hammer drill combo with the bigger batteries. The final price was $320.75 and I also got an extra 18v battery for free as a promotional deal. So I think I got a good deal.

I also ordered the Shaker Raised Panel Router bit set. I have been looking at a few sets but this one seemed to have everything I would need. I plan to make customer cabinets and doors for under and behind our bar and maybe some in the garage.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Only thing now is thinking I should have gotten the 28v based on HB's comments...hmmmm.

RM

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Thought about selling my corded stuff as well but I have an older Milwauke Dropfoot I just can't give up. I know they really bragged about the 28v stuff and it is as good as they say but I have heard almost if not as good input regarding the 18v Milwaukee stuff at a lower price. Different pricepoint but maybe more bang for the buck there. 28V is pretty expensive.I bought my first 18V hammer drill from someone who's a design engineer for Milwaukee Electric Tool and while I waited for him to get done with work, I saw a couple of 2x12's with three rows of holes, leaning up against the engineering building. I counted 24 rows of 3 good-sized holes and when he came out, I asked if they had all been bored with one 28V battery. He said yes, and they were all 2-9/16", which is their largest self-feeding bit but he added that the other board had the same number- 48 holes with one charge and no real signs of fatigue. He also asked if I wanted his corded circular saw, since he couldn't see a reason to keep it when the 28V work so well.

Rockman
05-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Thanks HB, make sense.

I think I will go grab a beer and wait for the UPS guy to arrive.:D

Hoosier Bob
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Read below Rock! I think they made the 28V and since have been spending a ton of time on the 18V stuff. I have not used the 18V but have not heard anything about it but good. Even comparisons to the 28v. Let me know how it works out. My guess is you won't second guess yourself.:DSlinkey,

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely bookmark your company for future purchases but I ordered from Amazon this afternoon (the itch to buy was bad! :D).

I did order the 18v driver and hammer drill combo with the bigger batteries. The final price was $320.75 and I also got an extra 18v battery for free as a promotional deal. So I think I got a good deal.

I also ordered the Shaker Raised Panel Router bit set. I have been looking at a few sets but this one seemed to have everything I would need. I plan to make customer cabinets and doors for under and behind our bar and maybe some in the garage.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Only thing now is thinking I should have gotten the 28v based on HB's comments...hmmmm.

RM