PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Recommendations

Duane D
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I lost my anchor at the bottom of a cove last weekend (stupid tree). Anyway, I need a replacement and I am not sure what would work the best. I had a pretty big Danforth style one with the points that would dig in and hold pretty good before it got snagged and stayed on the bottom of the lake. What I am not sure about is how the mushroom style ones work and how big/heavy it would need to be to hold my '06 X2 in place.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Box anchor and never look back.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Default.aspx

etduc
05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a 16# mushroom anchor, supposedly for boats up to 35'. It would have to be a pretty sandy bottom, or find a tree. Where we boat, lakes are hard bottom lakes, so it does okay, unless big wakeboard boats around. I've gone to using a 35# dumbbell (it wasn't being used anyway) If I anchor overnight, I add another. Doesn't take up much room.

Some people like these, but pricey: http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/2055-collapsible-box-anchor-large-offshore-boat-40-cabin-cruiser-32-25lb-25-h-9-5-l-5-5-w-collapsed-galvanized.html

Of course, the tree thing, would still be an issue.

rjracin240
05-10-2011, 11:06 AM
few hints on anchoring that hopefully will avoid losing your anchor! If nothing else some amussing reading.

http://www.marinews.com/boating/boating-articles/buoy-your-anchor/597/

FrankSchwab
05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I use a small mushroom anchor when we anchor to swim - but it's more an advisory anchor than an authoritative one, i.e. the boat stays put when it wants to but drags the anchor around when it doesn't.

I have a box anchor like CantRepeat linked to when I want the boat to stay put. 60 mph winds during thunderstorms at Lake Powell? No problem.

/frank

djkslc
05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
3rd vote for the box anchor.

JPK
05-10-2011, 02:05 PM
4th for the box anchor.

LaRue
05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
another vote for the box anchor

Duane D
05-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. That box anchor looks awesome! I bought a cheap-o 15lb mushroom this week but it doesn't seem to have enough meat and taters to keep us in place all the time. I like Frank's definitions of advisory vs authoritative. The mushroom is definitely advisory.

Anyone got an extra box anchor laying around? Lol!

TN X-45
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Box anchor rocks! Just throw and dont worry about it. Dont need to set it and dont even need to run a bunch of line out.

mpabreo
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Fortress anchor. By far better than any other anchor out there.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/

LaRue
05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. That box anchor looks awesome! I bought a cheap-o 15lb mushroom this week but it doesn't seem to have enough meat and taters to keep us in place all the time. I like Frank's definitions of advisory vs authoritative. The mushroom is definitely advisory.

Anyone got an extra box anchor laying around? Lol!

http://www.slideanchor.com if you want a new one. craigslist if you want a used one. i bought a 1 year old anchor with bag for under a $100 this winter.

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Box anchor, just bought one, tried it out at Lake Mead, holds very well. I bought the large box anchor.

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Fortress anchor. By far better than any other anchor out there.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/

That's very debatable.

captain planet
05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Box anchor and never look back.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Default.aspx

That looks pretty sweet...but $120? :confused: If I could find one used that would be great.

brucemac
05-10-2011, 05:19 PM
the box anchor is the cats meow unless there's heavy wind, chop and a sandy bottom. mine broke free several times last year on a houseboating vacation during a storm. had i had my danforth style with me, i'm confident i wouldn't have had to reset so many times due to the deeper bite. i guess my point is, i wouldn't trust it overnight in a storm. granted there were 50+ MPH gusts, but you get the idea. nice not having to deal with the chain and a 2:1 scope is plenty in most situations.

CantRepeat
05-10-2011, 05:23 PM
the box anchor is the cats meow unless there's heavy wind, chop and a sandy bottom. mine broke free several times last year on a houseboating vacation during a storm. had i had my danforth style with me, i'm confident i wouldn't have had to reset so many times due to the deeper bite. i guess my point is, i wouldn't trust it overnight in a storm. granted there were 50+ MPH gusts, but you get the idea. nice not having to deal with the chain and a 2:1 scope is plenty in most situations.

Not sure what the issue was. I've had my boat and 3 others tied to the back end in a 30 mph winds and wide open dam gates with flow of at least 20 knots.

brucemac
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
the issue was the wind and the amount of silt/sand on the bottom. had it been mud/clay, i'm sure i would have been fine. the teeth just aren't quite long enough. the wind would literally "roll" the box anchor along the bottom--even with an anchor buddy. i'm not discounting its upsides, i'm just saying it isn't the end-all-be-all for every situation. this year, i'm bringing the danforth along just in case.

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 06:10 PM
the issue was the wind and the amount of silt/sand on the bottom. had it been mud/clay, i'm sure i would have been fine. the teeth just aren't quite long enough. the wind would literally "roll" the box anchor along the bottom--even with an anchor buddy. i'm not discounting its upsides, i'm just saying it isn't the end-all-be-all for every situation. this year, i'm bringing the danforth along just in case.

what size box anchor did you buy for your boat. They said with mine I needed the larger box anchor? Wind at Powell can get down right nasty...

Tri4X2
05-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Anyone in Austin use the Box????

brucemac
05-10-2011, 06:28 PM
i have the small (not the baby). the large seemed like overkill and the small was rated for my boat length of 21'. "Small Box Anchor - Offshore / Sport 18' to 30', cabin cruiser to 24'"

maybe a length of chain would have made the difference, but i had always heard it was not needed. the thing has been great with just that one exception and you can't beat how it small it is when collapsed.

StuSX
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
If your line is not long enough, the box will bob with your boat and roll with the wind..

Longer rope let out fixed that problem for me on my CSX. I think it says twice the length as your depth in order to avoid the bobbing issue...

brucemac
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
started with 2:1 before the storm. no issues. storm came on steady with 20-30MPH sustained winds and 50+ gusts, went to 3:1+ and brought in boards and wakesurf board. i finally set it about 200 yards up wind and was able to tie the transom line to a huge stump which put me at about a 45 to the wind. that finally ended up holding, but i didn't sleep very well. :)

Huskie05
05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
started with 2:1 before the storm. no issues. storm came on steady with 20-30MPH sustained winds and 50+ gusts, went to 3:1+ and brought in boards and wakesurf board. i finally set it about 200 yards up wind and was able to tie the transom line to a huge stump which put me at about a 45 to the wind. that finally ended up holding, but i didn't sleep very well. :)

I hear that! When weather is coming unglued at night I get no sleep, none! One night at Powell we had a storm come thru that the devil himself was riding. It was unreal! I was up all night changing rope, engaging the engine to help easy tension so we would hold on the anchor. Wife, kids, and both dogs slept right thru it. It can get ugly fast, so I opted for the one size bigger box anchor. If the storm is bad enough, nothing will hold. I carefully pick camping sites now, especially if the forecast call for devil weather.

Funny thing is after that storm we came around the bend and came across a Mastercraft that was banging against the shallow rock, I about threw up. I jumped in the MC, keys were in it, and got it off the rock carefully. We drifted out in the opening for a while before people came by and claimed it. His reaction, What a Storm!! Their campsite was 1.5 miles up another canyon. The MC looked pretty good for being a drift all night.

brucemac
05-10-2011, 06:58 PM
yeah it's no fun. this one was especially brutal because it was the tail end of wheat harvest on the upper plateaus miles up wind. so it was literally a dust storm. i have video somewhere from my flip i should post. it was just flat out nasty. the houseboat broke loose and we just about beached her sideways. we ended up just barely getting her turned right and had to burry the upwind line with about 600lbs of rocks. luckily the rest of the trip was fantastic, but it has made for some great stories with our friends.

Covi
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
I plan on purchasing the baby box next week. I have gone back and forth on the baby and the small. Bottom line if I anchor it's in very shallow water and usually not much of a breeze. I may have one or two other MC tied to me but that's it. I love the fact that they fold flat. It looks like it would fit perfect under the passenger seat next to my battery.

TN X-45
05-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I will say one other thing - in GA that thing is a PAIN to pull up from the mud/clay. I always dredge something up - log, bottle, etc and about 20 pounds of mud. Not fun cleaning off while dangling on the front of the boat and the usual "swaying of the anchor" does not work. I just use my foot now :)

frosty
05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Anyone have any experience with a box anchor and the sea grass like they have in florida?

timvan
05-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I will say one other thing - in GA that thing is a PAIN to pull up from the mud/clay. I always dredge something up - log, bottle, etc and about 20 pounds of mud. Not fun cleaning off while dangling on the front of the boat and the usual "swaying of the anchor" does not work. I just use my foot now :)

+1 but it holds great in the mud! I start swinging it as soon as I see it under the surface and its seldom not clean by the time I pull it in

Ive pulled up boulders, small logs and my favorite was a full fishing net which took a lot of pull to get up..

Tlxstar
05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
another vote for the box anchor...

mgurley
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_440672_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=440672

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_106109_-1?Ntt=anchor&Ntk=All

Anchor buddy rope is a must...many anchors will work...above is what I am using.

GT500 MC
05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Heard a couple people say the teeth may not be long enough if it's sand. If it's 4-5 feet of water, sand bottom, and a 1-2 foot wave, is the small box anchor holding a x14v? Based on experience? Don't want to beat a deadhorse but will be purchasing an anchor this week so looking for any experiences.

ttu
06-04-2011, 01:47 PM
sorry to bring this one back up but like a idiot i lost my small box anchor last weekend over the holiday. i have a 07 x2 and curious if a extra small box anchor will work with my boat. i never had a problem with the small but the size was a pain for storage.

Kyle
06-04-2011, 03:51 PM
The lakes that I roll are either sand or silt. Now when I say silt I mean 2 to 3 feet of silt. I put my dive gear on one day and went to the bottom and it's so soft you can put your arm in to your elbow before you realize you are on the bottom. I have an anchor that sets fine in sand but will never work in the silt. I'm betting if I bought the box anchor it would disappoint me.

CantRepeat
06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
The lakes that I roll are either sand or silt. Now when I say silt I mean 2 to 3 feet of silt. I put my dive gear on one day and went to the bottom and it's so soft you can put your arm in to your elbow before you realize you are on the bottom. I have an anchor that sets fine in sand but will never work in the silt. I'm betting if I bought the box anchor it would disappoint me.

I'm thinking harpoon anchor!

iplount
06-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Another vote for the box anchor. Works great out west in the nor cal lakes and in the delta.

TN X-45
06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
ttu - lost mine this week too. I found 2 coupons for West Marine doing a google search. 30% off and free shipping. $130 for small delivered!

ttu
06-05-2011, 09:06 AM
thanks. i'll look for the coupons.

venetrex
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I bought a chene anchor, it was only $40 new. And it does not need a chain. Easy to store without potentially scratching up the boat..

ttu
06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
ttu - lost mine this week too. I found 2 coupons for West Marine doing a google search. 30% off and free shipping. $130 for small delivered!

found the free shipping coupon. do you remember where you found the 30% off coupon? thanks.

lanep82
06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I bought a box anchor 2 weeks ago. it has been working GREAT! (And I got the small, not the large)

aquaman
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
For sand and silt bottom lakes the Mushroom anchor works great and will not foul.

deminimis
06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Strictly rivers with sand, rock or silt. The sm Box anchor has done well, but its not fail-proof as we've drifted more than once in fast currents. If I was to do it again, I'd do the same. All in all, I've been very happy with it.