PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to get cruise control / perfect pass?

dirtk38
05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
One thing I am starting to realize is the possible benefits of having a perfect pass system, especially for attempting to wake surf. It is very hard to hold the boat around 10 mph when it is loaded down with about 1500+ lbs...so hard that so far I don't trust anyone but myself to drive the boat in that configuration.

Problem is, I've about spent my boat budget for the summer, and a new perfect pass wake edition edition is $1195. Anyone have any ideas for finding a cheaper way to get some sort of cruise control? Biggest requirement is that it must work well holding the slow wake surfing speeds. Thoughts?

bcboy
05-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Try Ski it again . com...they usualy have used ones.

east tx skier
05-10-2011, 10:41 AM
You can cobble together a used system like bcboy said. You might also check with Jody at Fl Inboards. They are doing a lot of conversions from Perfect Pass to Zero Off and he tends to have some PP systems and Fuel Injected Ford Motors on his hands from time to time.

In the end, you'll probably still have to buy a couple of new components, most likely the throttle cable linkage and wiring harness for your boat. But the older gauges and master modules are probably still available from people upgrading to stargazer.

If it were me, I would probably do without and save money over however long it takes to save it so I could buy a Stargazer system. Not sure if that's the best for surfing, but it's the best for what we do that PP offers.

Justjoe
05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I've got a master module and a black faced guage. Pm me.

dirtk38
05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I've got a master module and a black faced guage. Pm me.
PM sent.

Can anyone comment to the effectiveness of a StarGazer or other PP generation when trying to hold surf speeds, especially in a 205? I'd hate to spend the money and find out that PP struggles with that speed as much as I do.

east tx skier
05-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Works great a trick speeds (16 mph approx). Other than that , I got nothin'.

BriEOD
05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
I have a 2000 PS 205 DD with PP (slalom, trick, jump, wakeboard, and RPM mode) that runs off the paddle wheel system. We surf regularly at 9.8 mph and I cannot imagine doing it without PP. I have no experience with Zero Off, etc. However, PP meets all of my needs just fine.

My

DemolitionMan
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
My stargazer moves about 2/10ths when surfing.

YooperScott
05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I put Stargazer on my '95 190 last year and now wonder how you can even pull people without it. It's that good (to me). Makes surfing WAY easier because manually driving in the 10 mph range and holding speed is pretty hard. The PP stays with a couple tenths.

Edit: Slalom it's great too and allows for less 'ideal' drivers to still pull well. I haven't used it much pulling people wakeboarding as that just doesn't get done behind my boat much. Primary is slalom and surfing is for the tired out from slalom and/or the lazy people. :)

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190 - Stargazer

Jeff d
05-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I have no experience with RideSteady but it can be had for $695 after $100 rebate if you send them pics of your install:
http://www.hydrophase.com/

I have Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake and the GPS is dead on with speed at factory KDW setting varying about 2-3 tenths from the setpoint. I plan on experimenting with the KDW next time I'm out to try to make it a little bit more idiot proof because right now if the driver punches the throttle I get about a 5-8 MPH overshoot with ballast full.

If you ride in a place that has a significant current the paddle wheel is preferable to the GPS due to the fact that it automatically compensates for the water's movement.

From an installation perspective the GPS cuts the install time in about half. I put mine in in about 1-1.5 hrs with no previous experience. If I was cutting a big ole hole in the hull I would have stressed out about where to put it and what not for longer than the whole StarGazer install took.

dirtk38
05-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I think you guys have convinced me that StarGazer is the way to go. Now I just gotta find the parts! Anyone need to offload some??

east tx skier
05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
As long as you don't deal with a current regularly, it works great. If you have a regular current, GPS is not a good reference point since it is speed over ground rather than speed over water.

Brian B
05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Is there a particular Stargazer model I would need for my Indmar 2001 X10?

There are a few on ebay for $860.

aswile
05-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Justjoe- I PM'd you regarding your PP gauge.

Jeff d
05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
The main variable from a functional perspective is the cable for the servo. Everything else is pretty much the same given a particular generation of PerfectPass. The only other variable would be the gauge face and bezel which would be cosmetic.

You have the LTR right? That requires a somewhat specialized cable with a molded elbow (~ 45 degree) due to the fact that the throttle body is all up on the crosmember of the ski pylon and is pulled in an almost straight up and down direction.

So, you could likely round up all of the used parts that you need but unless you get lucky you'll probably need to order the LTR servo cable new from Perfect Pass. Not sure on the price but it can't be too terrible since there's not much more to it than a bicycle brake cable.

Jeff d
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I did a quick search on eBay and saw all of those StarGazers for sale by GreatLakesSkipper for $861.

All the ones I saw were DBW (Drive By Wire) modules and will NOT work with your 2001 year model boat. I believe that $860ish would be about the normal "street" price for a DBW system. You need the one with the servo for older boats.

Ski-me
05-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I wanted to do the same as you but also as cheap as possible. I just didn't know how "great" PerfectPass would be as I had no experience with it. What I found was that there were a lot of different gauges out there....color, size and boat specific labelling (Malibu, CC, Tige' , etc).

I didn't want to skimp or piecemeal the servo and cables so I ended up purchasing that new. I also got a new, matching, 3 line display gauge. The only used item was the brain. I found a 6.5ng Digital Pro module for about $100 and then bought the rest new.

I ultimately saved some money and with the 3 line display, I can always upgrade to Stargazer if I wanted to. Basically, a cheaper PP entry point.

I do only waterski so mine is RPM based only. I do not have a paddlewheel that may be necessary for the slower, wakeboarding speeds. It works great for me and I do love it! Definitely worth the upgrade!

I believe the new Stargazers don't need the paddlewheel anymore so that's a definite plus. Makes it all the more easy to upgrade if I want to in the future....

Edit:

I just looked at my old expense sheet.

I paid $100 for the Module and $526 for the rest of the parts. Total investment $626.

kskonn
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I use mine for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. Works unbelivable, I can't imagine not having it on my boat. I do not have stargazer because I mainly am out on damned up rivers with a current and bridges. I called PP about upgrading and when I told them where I take my boat they told me not to do it, to stick with the paddle wheel, just another reason I like perfect pass, honesty and good business practices.

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
The main variable from a functional perspective is the cable for the servo. Everything else is pretty much the same given a particular generation of PerfectPass. The only other variable would be the gauge face and bezel which would be cosmetic.

You have the LTR right? That requires a somewhat specialized cable with a molded elbow (~ 45 degree) due to the fact that the throttle body is all up on the crosmember of the ski pylon and is pulled in an almost straight up and down direction.

Actually I just have the Vortec MX, so hopefully that makes things a little easier. How much can I mix and match gauges and control modules? Would a gauge from the previous PP generation (digital pro?) work with the StarGazer control module? What about the servo?

I do only waterski so mine is RPM based only. I do not have a paddlewheel that may be necessary for the slower, wakeboarding speeds. It works great for me and I do love it! Definitely worth the upgrade!

Yea I think I'm going to have to have some sort of speed input for this to be helpful at surf speeds. Trying to avoid the paddle wheel if possible since I will be on lakes (no rivers) 90% of the time.

Ski-me
05-12-2011, 02:22 PM
You could always try it without a paddlewheel and then add it later if you found that it wouldn't hold steady at the slower speed.....

Again, I don't wakeboard so take my advice with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
What model Mastercraft do you have?

I can't understand why anyone would skimp and only want a wake edition.

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 03:14 PM
What model Mastercraft do you have?

I can't understand why anyone would skimp and only want a wake edition.

1998 ProStar 205. I'm not a 3-event skiier, just a recreational guy that would like to get into some surfing. I don't see the need to pay more for the features of the higher-end StarGazer that I would not use.

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
The difference between the wake and the 3 event is $200, Id save up for the 3 event so you have a full system. One thing I cant stand is how when my skier wants to turn around (instead of drop) how the wake edition surges in speed to scary fast. I just hate the wake edition.

DemolitionMan
05-12-2011, 03:27 PM
What is everyones opinion on zero off? My boat has pp and zero off so I am kind of torn between the two.

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I ski on a PP Digital Pro 6.3, and love it. It’s old school I know, but I have no interest in competing so if I run a 34 mph 16.95 versus a 33 mph 17.50, I really don’t care. As long as I can run into 28 off, I am happy. So to answer your question, PP, 0 Off and SGazer are all the same to me.

Jeff d
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
What is everyones opinion on zero off?

Only an option for boats with DBW.

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The difference between the wake and the 3 event is $200, Id save up for the 3 event so you have a full system. One thing I cant stand is how when my skier wants to turn around (instead of drop) how the wake edition surges in speed to scary fast. I just hate the wake edition.

Intersting, I didn't know about that. What is the hardware difference between wake edition and 3-event? Gauge, control module, or both?

Only an option for boats with DBW.

Actually in my search for used PP parts, I've found a few guys that are doing ZO conversions for guys with older non-DBW boats. It's a somewhat involved process that requires engine modification, but apparently it can be done if you really want it. I guess the conversion technically turns your non-DBW into a DBW.

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.perfectpass.com/perfect_pass_products.html

Look at the prices, i would not try to save the $200.

JeromeM
05-12-2011, 06:04 PM
What about these guys, $795. http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

????

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
What about these guys, $795. http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

????

Have to admit that I'm interested. Wonder if anyone around here has any experience with it?

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 06:33 PM
but it's for wake boarding only

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 06:49 PM
but it's for wake boarding only

That would be a dealbreaker if its true, though so far I dont see anything saying that it couldn't hold slalom speeds. Am I wrong?

pram
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Find a boat sitting in a slip with it already installed at midnight??????

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 06:58 PM
It looks like you'd have to call them, but I think theres no 1st / 2nd segment timing...

Pluse the description said "Introducing Ridesteady -- watercraft speed control for wakeboarders"

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Find a boat sitting in a slip with it already installed at midnight??????

Looks like these guys are brand new (as of last month), and I can't find a review anywhere. You can return it for a full refund if you don't like it, but you'd still be stuck with a hole in your boat...

dirtk38
05-12-2011, 07:01 PM
It looks like you'd have to call them, but I think theres no 1st / 2nd segment timing...

Pluse the description said "Introducing Ridesteady -- watercraft speed control for wakeboarders"

I'm not serious enough about skiing for that to be an issue. I just need something that will hold a consistent speed whether its 35 mph with an empty boat or 10 mph with 1900 lbs of extra weight.

TxsRiverRat
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
How would you calibrate it then?

Ski-me
05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't chance it on some "new" product. The also offered something if you posted your install too. Obviously not many have heard or installed this product.

Stick with what's been proven.....PerfectPass.

That's my:twocents:

BrianM
05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
You could always go the simple PP Cruise route. Lot less money.

The on;y difference between Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro is the smart timer. If you are not running a course with magnets then WBP is going to perform exactly the same as Digital Pro

Jeff d
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
but you'd still be stuck with a hole in your boat...

Well, you could fill the hole with a Perfect Pass paddle wheel if you returned the Ride Steady.

I'm the one who brought it up but I'd still be a bit hesitant about buying it since it's so new and there's so little information out there on it.

TxsRiverRat
05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
You could always go the simple PP Cruise route. Lot less money.

The on;y difference between Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro is the smart timer. If you are not running a course with magnets then WBP is going to perform exactly the same as Digital Pro

Youre forgetting about the surging throttle on the turn arounds. Trick mode does it too... Plus no good way to calibrate

BrianM
05-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Youre forgetting about the surging throttle on the turn arounds. Trick mode does it too... Plus no good way to calibrate

PP specifically says in their instructions to disengage in the turn arounds.

east tx skier
05-13-2011, 05:07 PM
PP specifically says in their instructions to disengage in the turn arounds.

I remember the first two versions of SG doing this. But ever since the last update over two years ago, I haven't had any trouble surging in the turnaround with the system engaged.

Jeff d
05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
What do you mean by surging throttle in the turns? Accelerating past the set point? Or opening the throttle in an attempt to maintain the set point? My Wakeboard StarGazer does the latter but not the former. How does the 3 event version know that you're turning?

Brian B
05-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Is there a particular Stargazer model I would need for my Indmar 2001 X10?

There are a few on ebay for $860.

Any input would be appreciated! Thx :)

TxsRiverRat
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
When I have my 6.3 in trick or wake board mode, it does the surge when i turn around... the fix is to not turn around or make a huge circle.

Jeff d
05-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Any input would be appreciated! Thx :)

I responded to this on the previous page. You need the non DBW Master Module with the LTR or TBI servo cable (Depending on which engine you have).

Not sure which ones you're looking at on ebay for $860 but all of the ones I saw were DBW which would not work on your boat. Best price I could find on StarGazer Wakeboard for non-DBW a few months back was $1090 shipped from onlyinboards.com but that was only thorough the end of February IIRC.

munkymush
05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
i have a full perfect pass cruise system for sale if anyones after one? i upgraded to stargazer so the cruise is now out of the boat and unused ..

Brian B
05-17-2011, 11:44 AM
i have a full perfect pass cruise system for sale if anyones after one? i upgraded to stargazer so the cruise is now out of the boat and unused ..

Please email pics and information! BrianB @ Rhino Forums . Net

Thanks Jeff D!

plasticbaldy
03-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Is it sold ?
Anyone else got one for sale ? Need Paddle wheel type PP for Indmar with Push Pull Throttle Cable.

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Ive got a pp wakeboard pro 6.3 master module and gauge I'll sell ya for 150 shipped. Would need to gather some wiring, servo, etc but its a cheap start. Its gathering dust in the garage right now. Will even throw in a paddle wheel rebuild kit

east tx skier
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
What do you mean by surging throttle in the turns? Accelerating past the set point? Or opening the throttle in an attempt to maintain the set point? My Wakeboard StarGazer does the latter but not the former. How does the 3 event version know that you're turning?

Old post, but the original version of SG would surge past the set point in the turns. However, it didn't know it was doing this. It was a function of the system not recognizing speed in the sharp turns. It was measuring speed in a straight line. Then, suddenly, the boat wasn't in a straight line anymore. The system gets the impression that the boat is at a virtual standstill and guns it. You'd have a really hot 180 and the system would then have to settle down as you headed back toward the course.