PDA

View Full Version : Prostar

BROUSSARD
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Ok, I know the issue of closed bow vs. open bow has come up before, but why do you rather one over the other? I guess what are the pros and cons?

-Andre

Lars
05-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Girls like to hang out in the bow => nuff said :)

Double D
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Girls like to hang out in the bow => nuff said :)

LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

HDAVIS
05-09-2011, 08:23 PM
The way I see it, there are 2 main reasons. #1 boats with bows are heavier thus have a somewhat bigger wake for a slolam skier. Reason # 2, I think the MC closed bow are much better/sportier looking. The PS190 has a cleaner look and profile and a better wake for that type skiing.

Skipper
05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I am a closed bow PS 190 owner. It is a slalom machine! However, the space is very limited. Friends that have open bow ski boats have another option for seating...the bow. I have always skied well behind PS 197's. They are a great slalom boat with the added seating.

Barefooter92
05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
PS 190 is the King of Slalom. The PS 205 is the King of Slalom with a family!

broncotw
05-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I have owned both the 190 and 197! BOTH are awesome ski boats and I am not good enough to tell the difference in wakes between the two! Currently, I own a 2010 190TT and love it..... I also liked the 197 but I have always liked the closed bow "look" as opposed to the open bow! Another factor for me was with the open bow you will inevitably take water over the bow and end up swamping your upholstery (there are threads on the 197 taking water over the bow in this forum).... As a result your upholstery will begin to dilapidate over time..... You will still take water over the bow with the 190 but it will just wash off the bow.....

I cannot argue with Lars -- chicks do LOVE to hang in the open bow!

Just my two cents!!!

east tx skier
05-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Ok, I know the issue of closed bow vs. open bow has come up before, but why do you rather one over the other? I guess what are the pros and cons?

-Andre

We went from open to closed. Our reasons were that, for the model years covered by our budget, the closed bows had better ski wakes. They also had more storage. We didn't use the open bow much. We have young kids and prefer not to have them up there. Also, I have found that there is a bit less upkeep on the closed bow. I was constantly having to clean the bow seats and dig pine needles out from between the cushions. That has not been the case with the closed bow.

We have been extremely happy with our choice.

Your mileage may vary.

Sodar
05-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Closed bow boats are cool. The newer PS 190's are much wider than the older 190's and this makes the interior much "roomier".

The bow in he PS 197 is pretty much useless, unless you really know how to jockey the boat around to avoid dunking it. It takes some work and is not guaranteed your bow riders will not get a nice shower every now and again.

Consensus? I like both. The open bow works better for me, but the closed bow does look cooler and offers more storage.

Starshack
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Closed bows for serious slalom skiers -1991 - 1994 PS190 IMO is the best slalom boat ever made - Nautique closed bow is just as good (we ski behind both) but own an MC as that is the boat of choice on our lake (close to TN) and our club boat in Atlanta is a Nautique. PS205 is a good family boat but does not compare to the PS190 as a true ski boat - difference between a Corvette and maybe a Camaro.