PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Question

Huskie05
05-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Transmission Question

I was in buying a new wakeboard today at marine Products here in SLC. They are always great and continue to be great. Got talking to one of the guys that has been there forever about the boat we just bought, X55 with the LSA. They are usually pro Supra boats which they sell in the back. Long story short he was asking about how I thought that engine would do being new to the boating world and how the transmission would hold up with all that torque. I understand that the LSA is not proven on water yet and their might/could be a few hiccups but he got me thinking about the transmission.

So I am asking you all, how have MC transmissions been over the years? Think this is something to watch over more carefully, fluid levels? That is a bunch of torque (540 or so) and that is a lot of weight with the X55, not to mention loaded down with gear, people, coolers, camping crap for a week at Powell. Just wanted to throw this out to you all, this board is very knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

He was saying that Supra tends to wait longer to make changes to their line-up as far as engines. He told me Supra guys are old MC guys…

CantRepeat
05-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Just keep an eye on the fluid level. I'd bet the tranny is going to be the least of your worries/issues.

And when I say least I mean not an issue.

MIskier
05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
The Lsa is unproven in the marine industry, but the transmissions are made by a company called ZF marine, who provide drive-train components to everyone from towboats to huge ships. They are very robust, that being said just routine checking of fluids and there should be no worries. Like with a transmission in a road vehicle the transmissions in the boats have a max hp and torque limit for a given model, so the transmission has been paired with the LSA with the torque and hp in mind.

Huskie05
05-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Great info, thanks guys.