PDA

View Full Version : Need Help? Winterization really?

TXMC230
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
ohh well

mark g
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear your problems, if I read correct you didn't winterise the boat and stored outside, if your winter temps are low, you maybe looking at $$$$$, I just bought a 197 from a guy who didn't winterise the boat last year, temps got down to -15 the engine froze and cracked the block in several places resulting in him having to drop a new engine in it, my gain but hate to hear stories like this, water in the oil was the first he new of it.
I know of a few owners who have suffered cracked blocks this last winter over here in the uk due to low temps.
Good luck hope your problems are not this bad

TXMC230
05-09-2011, 06:19 PM
i am in Austin Tx temps are for the most part are well above freezing. We might get a few days of sub freezing but only for a day or two then back up to 60's.

mark g
05-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't think it takes long for the damage to set in, hope your lucks in though, could be just a gasket, head or inlet manifold,

psychobilly
05-09-2011, 06:54 PM

psychobilly
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
TXMC230 It dipped down into the 20s in Feb in North Houston where I'm at so I'm sure you seen the same over there. I did a load of research on here and thank God mine's OK. I've learned a lot by DIY. I also learned about how the block can get rust in it and block off the "block drain ports" and I had to dig them out with a piece of wire to fully drain the block. It may sound weird but I got really intimate with that boat, learning everything I could about it. It seams to have paid off so far. I'm not a motor guru but what from what I've read in these forums, it's not looking good for you...

TX.X-30 fan
05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
i am in Austin Tx temps are for the most part are well above freezing. We might get a few days of sub freezing but only for a day or two then back up to 60's.

My friends Chris Craft froze solid this winter on a lift. We had 72 hours at 25 and below, much lower at night. He was on a trip or could have lowered the boat into the lake and most likely been fine. Lots of frozen motors here.

This was the only winter in 10 you needed to winterize, sorry hope its not bad.

east tx skier
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Most damage from failing to winterize occurs in the southern states.

And, of course, most statistics are made up. But I digress.

Sorry for your trouble. I could make some recommendations as to how to proceed this coming winter. But instead, I'll just say that I hope you got lucky and that everything works out for you.

jpcarter
06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I keep my X2 in my garage over the winter and don't winterize, but here in NC it can be below freezing in there for several days straight in the winter, so I put a 100w incandescent work light down in the bilge under the engine block and close all the openings. Stays nice & toasty.