PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell: '99 MariStar 210

JMPassch
05-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Looking for some ideas on what could be smelling as if it's burning in our 99 MariStar 210. Just bought the boat this year and it runs great. However, if I run for ten minutes at almost top speed there is a slight smell of something burning when we stop. No smoke but clearly a burning smell. Boat has only 300 hrs on it and wasn't used much the last few years.

Looked over / under the motor and can't find anything melting or appear to be getting hot. Temp gauge raised a little after running that fast but not over 175.

Impeller is very hard to get to but a blind feel and it seems to be fine.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions?

Thanks

FrankSchwab
05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Try the stuffing box - perhaps someone cranked it down too hard to stop a leak, and it's getting hot at speed.

Could be the exhaust manifolds - a slight bit of oil or other residue, getting hotter during long, hard runs.

/frank

tph
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Does it smell like hot rubber? My belts used to heat up because of a pulley problem.

JMPassch
05-10-2011, 04:35 AM
My first thought was rubber burning. Could it be that the belts need to be replaced? What was the pulley problem you had.

tph
05-11-2011, 03:34 AM
My first thought was rubber burning. Could it be that the belts need to be replaced? What was the pulley problem you had.

The alternator pulley was not in line with the other pulleys. So, the belt was binding. I added some washers to the alternator attachment bolts. That seemed to solve the problem. Mine was actually coating a portion of the inside of the engine cover and parts of the motor with a fine black dust before I fixed it.

JMPassch
05-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I'll make sure to check the belts.

Frank....this may be a dumb question but where is the stuffing box and what exactly does it do?

TimfromLowell
05-11-2011, 02:19 PM
It is the seal / brass nut that is tightened around the shaft and it prevents water from entering the boat whaere the drive shaft enters the boat. Newer models use a system that does not require adjusting.

Grantx15
05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
i know you said your impeller is is hard to get to but i would take that out and look at it. i had a burning smell early this year. when i checked out the impeller it was well chewed up. you really have to remove it to examine it fully, it’s a tight squeeze to try and stick your fingers in to feel all the fins.

JMPassch
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
I've been keeping a close eye on the temp gauge and have driven the boat pretty hard. We haven't had the burning smell at all the last few times out and the temp has been staying at 160. Hoping it stays that way. Thanks for the suggestions though. I picked up a new impeller and am keeping it stored in the boat.

wakescene
06-02-2011, 11:41 PM
JMPassch,
What you were smelling was most likely the WD-40 and other products that were a result of the winterization. I normally coat my motor with fogging oil when I winterize. In the spring I lube things up as well with lubricants that will get hot and cook off.
The first few hours out on the water that first day I always tell people not to be concerned with the burning smell...unless I say something!!!