PDA

View Full Version : LTR Hot Water Supply

seth25
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Ok guys, I have researched this and there are a varity of answers out there. I am installing a heater in my 2000 Maristar 230 with the LTR engine. On the back of the engine, I see the thermostat housing with one plug and one with a temp sensor on the other side. There is a fuel line in the way on the plug side and very little room on the sensor side. Some have mentioned putting in the supply line at the block drain at the bottom of the engine on the drivers side. There is no knock sensor there on my boat, just on the other side. When I have had the boat running and winterized shortly after, there is very hot water coming out of that plug when I remove it.

What problem would I have using this location? I am using the 1 1/4 x 5/8 Y for the return line to help out this heat output at idle.

It would be very easy to use the bottom plug, but I will find somewhere else if there is a problem here.

Thanks
Seth

Shooter McKevin
05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Hey Seth,

FWIW, that block drain is where it is on my LTR (my motor faces the other direction of course). It seems like the most practical place for it but I think I remember reading that it can get plugged with sludge there. I also think I read that some motors have a spot higher up on the block that has hotter water, but mine has plenty of heat.

I'd hook it up there and try it out, just leave yourself enough extra hose to move it later if you aren't happy with it or you find a better spot.

I don't use my shower much but I do need to investigate an issue with it. It runs with lots of volume and pressure for the first 10 sec and then usually dies down to a trickle. I'm pretty sure it's not the hot line getting plugged because both the hot and cold slow down (and I've checked and cleaned the line).

Kevin

seth25
05-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Is there some sort of Inline filter that can be installed to help with any sludge?

Thrall
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
seth,
There should be a steel plug on the top port, rear of the engine on the intake manifold I believe. Has an allen head in the plug. That's the reccomended heater hookup. Right next to the flame arrestor/air cleaner.
I wouldn't worry about a filter, not out west where you boat anyway.

seth25
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I see that plug, but there is no way to get a fitting in there without removing the fuel line that is in the way. Removing the fuel line is possible, but I was exploring other options before doing that.

Thrall
05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I see that plug, but there is no way to get a fitting in there without removing the fuel line that is in the way. Removing the fuel line is possible, but I was exploring other options before doing that.

I see. Is it a hard line? You could pull off of one of the block drain plugs, that's where it was on my 190 and that worked ok.

agua4fun
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Check out
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15649&highlight=heater+hookup
I just hooked mine up the the port shown - ran the boat in the driveway and water was warm coming out of that port - ill let you know in a week or so how it is after running on the lake for a few min.

seth25
05-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Thrall-Yep the fuel line is a hard line, looks a pain to deal with

Aqua-let me know how that port works out. I'm leaning towards that plug or the block drain plug. Either way, I have the 1 1/4 x 5/8 Y coming that is supposed to help out with heating at idle.

Shooter McKevin
05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Check out
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15649&highlight=heater+hookup
I just hooked mine up the the port shown - ran the boat in the driveway and water was warm coming out of that port - ill let you know in a week or so how it is after running on the lake for a few min.

Aqua4fun's post made me realize you guys are talking about heater supply lines and I was talking about shower lines. Duh. Sorry Seth, my previous post is irrelevant.

My heater is connected where the plug is shown in the red box on post #4 of the linked thread.