PDA

View Full Version : Need help with slight oxidization on stern..

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi guys, I was hoping for some input and expertise on removing a small amount of chalkiness or oxidization on the stern of my boat just above the platform.
The boat gets the most sun on the rear where it is not covered and as a consquence the platform and mall section of blue fiberglass taking a bit of a beating. Going to do a platform cover this spring but that's a whole other issue for later...
In past years a bit of wax would do the trick but yesterday after a couple of coats it became clear that i need to go to the next step. That's my question...what is the next step?
I don't think I need to start wet sanding yet right? Any specific products that i should be looking at?
Thanks in advance
Rob

agarabaghi
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
have you tried any of those oxidation removal products? meguires has one.

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Not yet. I was looking for a recommendation before buying anything.

I am hoping to take the afternoon off tomorrow and head to the lake to finish up and drop the boat in.

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Thought this would be a no brainer...:confused:

Alright alright, i will do the search............

Jeff Lyman
05-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Just did my 205 this weekend and with same issue on the transom. Get an electric buffer not a grinder. Use a wool pad with a heavy cut compound. Over the years I have used every brand made thay are all about the same. The idea here is to remove the chaulked up gel coat. Buff untill it is gone, you wont go thru, be very carefull not to hit any decals or say good by! Finish up with finer polishing compounds then swirl mark remover useing a foam pad in the buffer, good luck. Yes Meguires has some of the best products.

I did a two step polish on my hole boat in 2 hours and it looks new!

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Jeff, I will look for the heavy cut compound tomorrow.
It's not all that bad so i don't want to go overboard trying to fix it.

So when you finish up with the polish, you mean straight wax right?

I notice you are in Syracuse, only about an 1.5 hours from me. If you ever want to do a road trip to Canada and want a pull, let me know! Our place is north of Kingston.

rhsprostar
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM
McGuire's Oxidization removal worked like a charm. I used the fake wool bonnet on a polisher, then followed up with wax...presto like new!