PDA

View Full Version : Play in Rudder?

jdhart73
05-09-2011, 02:45 AM
While I was under the boat (06 X2) "attempting" to put on a new prop (14.25 x 14) I noticed some play in the rudder when I moved it from side to side. Its not much but its there. Incidentally I cannot install my prop because I am about 1/4 of an inch shy on room, rudder is in the way no matter how I twist and turn it or the prop.

My question is 2 fold, any tricks to getting this damn prop on? And should I have any play at all in my rudder? Would greasing help this or do I need new seals etc?

Thanks,
Jake

Chief
05-09-2011, 06:13 AM
While I was under the boat (06 X2) "attempting" to put on a new prop (14.25 x 14) I noticed some play in the rudder when I moved it from side to side. Its not much but its there. Incidentally I cannot install my prop because I am about 1/4 of an inch shy on room, rudder is in the way no matter how I twist and turn it or the prop.

My question is 2 fold, any tricks to getting this damn prop on? And should I have any play at all in my rudder? Would greasing help this or do I need new seals etc?

Thanks,
Jake

Check the block that holds the steering cable mounted under the engine. Mine had developed some play in it and I would notice the tail of the boat would fish tail while on plane.

As far as getting the prop on, it will go on: Just turn the rudder all the way to the right and try and thread the prop on. It takes some patience, but it will go on. I have the same prop.

Good Luck

jdhart73
05-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks chief. Our boats are tough to get to anything regarding the rudder! What am I looking for in this box you mention? I've looked back there and see the fitting for greasing the rudder assembly, is this where I'm looking?