PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Connect Garden Hose to Cooling System

rand49er
05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Many moons ago, I used earmuffs connected to a garden hose to provide water to the engine cooling system of my inboard/outboard while running the motor in the driveway. Is there such a similar device to get water up through the water intake on the bottom of the hull, or am I resigned to disconnect the hose at the impeller housing and cobble up some sort of connection to provide cooling water?

Skipper
05-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Just say no to the toilet plunger!

Disconnect the intake line at the transmission cooler input. Connect a four foot length of flexible hose in its place. Fill a five gallon bucket with water and lower the end of the hose into the bottom. Keep the hose running to keep water in the bucket.

Great system. Keeps water to the cooling system. Easy conection to cobble up.

JimN
05-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Many moons ago, I used earmuffs connected to a garden hose to provide water to the engine cooling system of my inboard/outboard while running the motor in the driveway. Is there such a similar device to get water up through the water intake on the bottom of the hull, or am I resigned to disconnect the hose at the impeller housing and cobble up some sort of connection to provide cooling water?

Considering the one whole minute that it takes to make the connection, I don't know why you wrote "or am I resigned to disconnect the hose at the impeller housing...". Don't bother with a nut driver- use a 1/4" ratchet and socket. Leave it in the boat's tool kit and you can use it for all of the other hose clamps.

rand49er
05-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Considering the one whole minute that it takes to make the connection, I don't know why you wrote "or am I resigned to disconnect the hose at the impeller housing...". Don't bother with a nut driver- use a 1/4" ratchet and socket. Leave it in the boat's tool kit and you can use it for all of the other hose clamps.That connection isn't the problem. It's cobbling together the fittings necessary to go from that diameter to my garden hose's diameter. If I had a (roughly) 2" diameter garden hose, it'd be a bunch easier. I just wondered if you more experienced guys knew if there was an off-the-shelf gizmo that I could purchase and avoid the ghetto thing that I know I'll end up doing. Don't get me wrong, I can do a marvelous ghetto thing, but if you think I'm going to post up pics of it, you've got it all wrong. Okay, I'm off to Home Depot. :rolleyes:

jdhart73
05-08-2011, 10:21 PM
If you want something that will hook up to a garden hose get a perko flush. You will hear mixed reviews on them but mostly positive. Just cut your raw water line and put it in place.

PERKO FLUSH (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=25608&pdesc=Make_Freshwater_Flushing_Simple_Connecting_G arden_Hose_With_FlushPro_1_1/4_inlet&aID=601L7&merchID=4006)

johnlanguab
05-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Whats wrong with the toilet plunger?

JimN
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
That connection isn't the problem. It's cobbling together the fittings necessary to go from that diameter to my garden hose's diameter. If I had a (roughly) 2" diameter garden hose, it'd be a bunch easier. I just wondered if you more experienced guys knew if there was an off-the-shelf gizmo that I could purchase and avoid the ghetto thing that I know I'll end up doing. Don't get me wrong, I can do a marvelous ghetto thing, but if you think I'm going to post up pics of it, you've got it all wrong. Okay, I'm off to Home Depot. :rolleyes:

The hose needs to be 1-1/4" diameter to fit the pump inlet, right? Why not get a PVC fitting that's threaded to accept the hose and then slide the 1-1/4" hose onto that? One hose clamp and you're done. I would also put a shut-off valve at the end of the hose so you don't have to get out or kink the hose in order to stop the water.

I prefer to drop that hose into a container that's 5 or more gallons and use the garden hose to supply water to the container. That way, you can see how fast the raw water pump draws water and if there's a problem, you'll see it immediately. If the hose is connected directly to the raw water pump, you may not know about a problem until it's a bit late.

Miss Rita
05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Get a plastic T-fitting with 1.5" barbs on each end and a 3/4" NPT hole in it. Next, a brass fitting with 3/4" NPT male threads on one end and male garden hose threads on the other. Last, a female-female garden hose adapter and cap. You'll need to cut the intake hose at a strategic location close to the impeller and insert plastic fitting. (measure thrice, cut once) Connect hose to the brass fitting, and you're set. Your garden hose will supply all the water you need for running in the driveway. When you're done, place cap over fitting.

east tx skier
05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
3 feet of 1.25" clear PVC flexible tubing, hose clamp, bucket, ball valve to shut off hose. Takes about 3 minutes to have up and running and is as reliable as anything I have used.

cdstukey
05-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Everybody else has valid points, but here is what you asked for
- fake a lake

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAK01

Thrall
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Whats wrong with the toilet plunger?

Read my sig!:D

rand,
There's many methods that everyone uses, just do a search on here and pick which one you like.
For ease of hookup, my old 190 had a Tee in the r/w line with a ftiing that you screwd onto the garden hose and then quick connected to the tee. Worked great, no tools involved after the initial install.
Now, for the few times I run the boat ona hose, I just remove the r/w hose from the hull pickup and put the garden hose in it, works fine too.

rand49er
05-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Whoa! Get up this am to see a lot of great suggestions. Thanks, guys!

While splicing T fittings into the intake hose is a solution, wouldn't it restrict water flow during normal operation? As much as I like that Perco Flush, is it restrictive? The Fake-a-Lake is what I was talking about. How does it seal up against the boat bottom? Does the handle extend against the ground/driveway? That might be the way I'll end up going.

Thanks again, guys. This is indeed a great community!

EDIT: Just read the description (duh!) and the Fake-a-Lake's handle extends from 16" to 28" and works as long as there are no obstructions caused by the trailer.

chawk610
05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I keep min really, really simple. Put a bucket in the boat, run garden hose to it... put water intake hose in (taken directly from hull), fill the bucket and maintain that while boat runs. Takes me like 5 min. to set up.

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Just like Jim and Chawk say do the bucket in the boat setup. I just used it on the weekend to run my boat in the driveway ad you would be amazed at hopw quickly a full 5 gallons of water is used by the motor......and that is with the hose still running!

Just get a piece of the crush proof clear tubing 1 1/4 dia. I use about 5 feet or so. It takes 1 minute to disconnect the inlet for the raw water from the pump.

I had to shut the motor down 4 times to allow the bucket to refill before my motor got up to 160.

03geetee
05-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Bucket method here, used it once already to wake the boat out of hibernation then after all was good with the universe I used it again after installing my new impellar. It is so simple its almost stupid.

Great system for sure, I can sit in the seat with a beer in hand watching the tach and temp guage and simply get up adjust the ball valve to adjust the flow. Couldnt be any more simple I think I have 12.00 invested in parts to make it.

JTR

mig
05-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I use this for cold water to the shower, and to hook up a hose to run the engine out of the water. Can't run the engine high rpm for long this way but it stays cool running under 1500 for as long as I want. Not factory but convenient.

Miss Rita
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
The picture above is what I was trying to describe.

Sorry all you hose-in-the-bucket fans, nothing is simpler or faster than a garden hose to an inline fitting.:)

I think the Perko device is really expensive for what you get.

I have a Fake-a-Lake. It's a PITA to use, it always leaks, doesn't provide as much water as other methods. It's like new, I'll sell it to anyone who's interested.

aaron.
05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
there might be nearly 300 threads already covering this topic...

epnault
05-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I just made one last week. I think this is pretty cheap way to do it.

Step 1 - Find a 5 gallon bucket

Step 2 - Buy a 2ft section of PVC pipe
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100348475/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Step 3 - get 2 of these couplers 2" to 1 1/4"
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100372299/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Step 4 - Find a plastic fitting you can mount to the bottom side of your bucket that has an end that is 1 1/4 ID that you can mount to the coupler above and epoxy (or use marine GOO) to the bucket (you will need to drill a hole of course).

Step 5 - Stick a garden hose into your bucket and mount the system up to the boat-I have a DD so it was a straight shot. You may have to get creative with V-drive.

I will send pictures later.

epnault
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Below are the pictures. Pretty simple system.

ntidsl
05-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I use this for cold water to the shower, and to hook up a hose to run the engine out of the water. Can't run the engine high rpm for long this way but it stays cool running under 1500 for as long as I want. Not factory but convenient.

isnt this after the impeller? wouldnt this burn your impeller up? I'm not sure about this?!?!

mig
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Yes it is after the impeller. The water seems to column in the hose to the circulating pump instead of running out the water intake under the boat. Some water does leak out the bottom, but the pump housing stays cool unless you run higher rpm for several minutes. I first tried introducing hose water in front of the impeller but the pump housing warmed up fast.

ntidsl
05-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Just seems the impeller would be spinning dry but seems not by your explanation.

what I always thought was funny was that some people say that using a fake a lake doesn't provide enough water and later agree that excess pressure can damage your engine...which is it?

I've used fake a lake 2 times a year since 1996 when I bought my 87 supra and I still have the same fake a lake to this day. I'll never modify my engine in order to hook a hose to it...I'll never say anything bad about those who do.

JimN
05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Just seems the impeller would be spinning dry but seems not by your explanation.

what I always thought was funny was that some people say that using a fake a lake doesn't provide enough water and later agree that excess pressure can damage your engine...which is it?

I've used fake a lake 2 times a year since 1996 when I bought my 87 supra and I still have the same fake a lake to this day. I'll never modify my engine in order to hook a hose to it...I'll never say anything bad about those who do.

I don't know why damage could be caused by pressure- the water would just exit through the exhaust manifolds and this has no restriction to water flow.

A Fake A Lake can work as long as the water flow rate is high enough- it's not an issue of pressure and those who tell of their 5 gallon container being drained quickly is proof. Static water pressure means nothing.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Just duct tape the water hole to use as a plunger too.

Miss Rita
05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
A Fake A Lake can work...

Yes, they work just fine, but they're a PITA

Thrall
05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Whoa! Get up this am to see a lot of great suggestions. Thanks, guys!

While splicing T fittings into the intake hose is a solution, wouldn't it restrict water flow during normal operation? As much as I like that Perco Flush, is it restrictive? The Fake-a-Lake is what I was talking about. How does it seal up against the boat bottom? Does the handle extend against the ground/driveway? That might be the way I'll end up going.

Thanks again, guys. This is indeed a great community!

EDIT: Just read the description (duh!) and the Fake-a-Lake's handle extends from 16" to 28" and works as long as there are no obstructions caused by the trailer.

The Tee on my 190 looked kind of like Mig's but it was marine specific with a quick disconnect for the hose. No water flow issues, kept an aluminum head LT-1 cool.
While I haven't heard any other complaints about the Perko flush Pro, I put one on my X2 when I bought it and right off the bat, the engine wouldn't suck water through it and overheated, smoked an impeller. Never did give it a second chance.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
The Tee on my 190 looked kind of like Mig's but it was marine specific with a quick disconnect for the hose. No water flow issues, kept an aluminum head LT-1 cool.
While I haven't heard any other complaints about the Perko flush Pro, I put one on my X2 when I bought it and right off the bat, the engine wouldn't suck water through it and overheated, smoked an impeller. Never did give it a second chance.

Backwards??

Thrall
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Backwards??

Nope, first thing I checked though. It airlocked or something and wouldn't let any water through.