PDA

View Full Version : Ran aground today, what to do now?

Finnsdad
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
First day out on the lake today, went great until the ride back to the landing. The weeds are not up yet, and I guess I was a little off on where the channel is this year. I was going about 20 and ran up onto a sandbar, about 1' of water. The boat stopped and the engine cut out. Took 3 guys to push it off into deeper water.

After getting deeper, the boat started fine and idled fine. The temp did not raise above normal after several minutes of idling. Do I need to be concerned about any sand in the engine issues, and if so how would I check/fix the problem.

There is some vibration at 10mph+, so I must have bent something. There are some wavy areas on the prop edge, the prop is also very shiny so it must have made quite a few turns in the sand. A quick visual check didn't show any bent fins/shaft/rudder. Is there a good way to diagnose if there was any damage to those? I plan on sending the prop to OJ, should I just wait till it comes back and then run it to check for any more vibrations?

At least is wans't a rock bar!

milkmania
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
after you replace the prop, you can check the shaft for "run-out" to see if the shaft is bent using a dial indicator.... I'm not sure how the strut is checked to see if it got bent.

smarter people will be along shortly:o

André
05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
What a bad way to start your season.Sorry about that.
Your prop is probably ding somewhere.If you have a prop shop near you they could tell you for sure and repair if possible.
Worst case scenario,have it fix for spare and buy a new one...
Good luck!

CantRepeat
05-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey Finn,

Don't feel bad. About 4 years ago our lake was down about 6 feet. I ran my 92 into a sand bar. I went from 30 mph to stop in about 20 feet.

The issues was not the sand in the water system it was the running gear. You can check your impeller for sand but I do not think you will find any.

My issue was a bent, prop, prop shaft, strut, rudder and rudder housing. The strut and prop were pretty easy to see. The shaft, rudder and rudder housing were a little hard to detect. It wasn't until I had the prop off and was pulling the shaft to change the strut that I discovered the bent shaft, rudder and rudder housing were all bent.

The issue with the rudder was that was bend back away from the boat. Look at your rudder from the side, not from the rear to see if it is bent. When I noticed the rudder was bent back I look at the housing to see that it had a crack in it.

I blame the old depth finder on this but really it was my error. Some $1400 bucks later I now know where the channel is for sure.

Good luck on your repairs! If you have questions just ask.

My boat was a 92 direct drive Maristar 210.

Finnsdad
05-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Did the shaft appear to spin normally despite the damage? Mine seems to be spinning by hand like it did before.

What is the ballpark cost to have oj repair the prop?

CantRepeat
05-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Did the shaft appear to spin normally despite the damage? Mine seems to be spinning by hand like it did before.

What is the ballpark cost to have oj repair the prop?

No, my prop needed two hands and lots of pull to spin, after my grounding. If you are spinning freely then you might have made out.

You'll need to talk to Eric about prop repair. He's on here but a Monday morning call might be best.

FrankSchwab
05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Ballpark as I remember is in the $125 range, but don't hold me to that.

/frank

mccobmd
05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Remember, there's only two kinds of boaters, those who have hit something (the ground counts) and those who will. I also am in the first group and it happened at a lake I've been at for 30 years in a spot I've been through 300 times. Glad everyone is safe. If the worst problem you have needs prop repair and not orthopedics you're doing pretty well.

Finnsdad
05-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Good point, we are safe and that's what matters. My wife is 6 months preg with #2, feeling fine so I think we're ok.