PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Maristar 225

stdasco
05-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I am looking at buying a 1993 Maristar 225. This is my first venture into inboard boats. Have always wanted a Mastercraft. I have a couple of concerns that may not be concerns. First, I noticed there was water in the bottom of the engine compartment and in the floor storage area. Boat was in the water when I drove it. Also, does not have a trailer. How easy will it be to find a trailer for this year boat? Thanks for your help.

Jeff d
05-08-2011, 09:29 AM
The water could be from any number of places. I'd say the most likely 2 sources would be the water circulating pump or the exhaust riser gaskets. The only way to tell would be to look at the engine while idling in the water or connected to the hose. It may not be immediately obvious when idling though because the pressure in the cooling system will be higher at higher RPM. So, you might have to get someone to actually drive the boat while you look at it.

I'm not sure about any specifics on the '93 225 but the exhaust riser gaskets are generally pretty inexpensive ($5-8 each x2) and the water circulating pump is probably in the $100 range. You'd probably be able to get a comparable pump at any auto parts store for a decent amount cheaper but that's not recommended for use with an open cooling system. So, you should get an actual marine water pump to ensure maximum pump life.

Other potential sources could be the prop shaft seal, engine cooling hoses or the plugs/petcocks on the bottom of the engine for winterization.

I'm not sure what boats would have trailers that were interchangeable trailers with the 225 but you'd probably be right on the line where you could go with a single axle or a tandem. If the only trailer that will work is another used 225 trailer then I'd guess they wouldn't be that easy to find. Unless you're only towing locally I'd go for the tandem but they don't come cheap. So, make sure you're well compensated on the boat price to cover the trailer.

Jeff d
05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Boat was in the water when I drove it.

BTW you're on the right track here :D

Seriously though if it was slipped then the water could be from anywhere. Before you buy you could see if you could get all of the residual water out of the hull to see where it comes from. A small amount isn't that big of a deal but if the bilge pump is coming on every 10 minutes when running then that's a problem.

My MariStar 230 has leaky riser gaskets right now so when I take it out for about 2-3 hrs I get 2-3" of water at the lowest point in the hull if i don't leave the bilge pump in Auto. I plan on fixing this soon.

stdasco
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info. The boat is at a marina and has been in dry stack. But the dealer said it had been detailed recently so could have come from being washed. Was only about an inch or so but was kinda murky looking. Think I can get it in the 7500 to 8000 range.

oldairboater
05-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Inboards leak. Even if they get the new style shaft seals there is always rudder seal. Exhaust risers and mufflers. I found a hose clamp snug but not tight yesterday with water oozing past it. I have had to re-glass a crack in my muffler that was allowing water to drip into the bilge last spring. I have old style packing ----it is supposed to drip. My automatic bilge comes on at least once every few hours when we are in the boat unless everyone is crawling in and out of the water into the boat. Then it runs every hour it seems. It is amazing how much water comes in the boat with people. Call around at some of the reputable dealers for inboards--they will help you get prices for trailers. A place to start. Do not go cheap on an ill fitting trailer---they will damage a boat quickly and badly.

rholmes
05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
If that boat is in good shape (not great mind you) tell me where it is if you aren't going to buy it at that price!!!

lt14me
05-13-2011, 09:03 PM
As an owner of a 1993 Maristar 225 with the Lt-1. I can tell you it is an awesome boat. I would look at the shaft seal first if it is taking on alot of water. The original trailer was made by DHM enterprises who is now california trailer works located in Sacramento.916-381-7619

scharette
05-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi!

i have a Maristar 225 1995 tandem axle trailer for sale. only one problem : i'm in canada :D