PDA

View Full Version : Stand up Paddle Boards

smsbrett
05-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I really want to get one (or 2) of these for this summer. I think it will be a good change of pace from simple kayaking and provide something to do without having to pay for gas especially for when others aren't around to ride, etc.

Anyone have experience? Recommendations for where to get one? They seem pretty expensive so I'd like to find a decent one at a decent price.

Justjoe
05-07-2011, 11:27 PM
It's cool. Not like real cool, but....cool.

Get an old Mistral Superlight. Nice paddleboard, and you can sail the bageezus out of it.

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I paddleboard. Bought mine last year. It cost $1,200. and that included the paddle.
It's a great sport very relaxing, you can have a lot of fun on them. SurfTech is a good brand.

barefoot
05-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm in the market for one as well. I've paddled on a few, but haven't made a decision on what kind to buy. It's a great activity to do early morning and sunset. Besides, it's really good for your core.

smsbrett
05-09-2011, 10:26 AM
anyone have comments about http://www.supatx.com/ ?

I'd rather not spend $1200. unlike my boat where I did see value in paying top dollar for quality, I'm not sure what added benefit I get from buying a top of the line paddleboard. Maybe I'm wrong.

Tri4X2
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
if you want a good board pay the money. DO NOT BUY SUPATX, unless you want a throw away board. You bought a MC for a reason, take the same attitude into the purchase of a board. Many brands out there will do just fine, but the cheaper you go the more you will pay in the long run. My wife and I have two custom boards that we bought in Hawaii years ago, they are great and have never had a soft spot one. Just beware. It's a great sport and we really enjoy it. My other advice is to get some lessons with someone that has been doing it for years and go from there. PM me if you want more info, and no I don't sell them just enjoy water sports!!!!

www.tropicalblends.com

www.surftech.com

http://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/

johnlanguab
04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I just bought one from Appomattox River Company. It's a beginner board that is made of plastic, like a kayak. I figure I can use it for wakesurfing too. It's the Imagine Surf, priced very reasonable.

mzimme
04-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I've seen people doing this while I've been on beach vacations. For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why people would pay money to stand on a surf board and paddle around the ocean. Seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

Can someone explain exactly what would motivate them to go spend 1200 bucks on something that looks so boring?

ttu
04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
i might be going out on a limb here but maybe they want to get some exercise!!:rolleyes:

mzimme
04-13-2012, 02:28 PM
i might be going out on a limb here but maybe they want to get some exercise!!:rolleyes:

If that's what it is, awesome. The first time I saw people doing this it was kids renting the boards out in the gulf. Surely they weren't in it for the exercise.

I'm genuinely curious... I'm completely ignorant on these things.

johnlanguab
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Waste of time? I'm not sure utility is the thing we're looking for in recreation... It's great for your core, and for someone like me who can't sit still, it's a lot of fun.

shepherd
04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I've seen people doing this while I've been on beach vacations. For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why people would pay money to stand on a surf board and paddle around the ocean. Seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

Can someone explain exactly what would motivate them to go spend 1200 bucks on something that looks so boring?

Ha! Exactly what I was thinking. Those things are very popular around my area. They even have free loaners at the rec center marina where I work. I've been thinking about trying them, figured it could at least be pretty good exercise. Despite the exercise benefits, I don't see how anyone can call it "a lot of fun." Maybe I'll change my mind when I try it. :rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
04-13-2012, 03:27 PM
My SIL makes them out of wook strips.

I have no interest.

johnlanguab
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
http://www.imaginesurf.com/gallery/surfer/IMG_1134.jpg

Sodar
04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Getting out on or in the ocean whether boat, board, yourself or any other means is the best thing in the world.

SUP boarding is great. The wife & I do it around the marina all the time and sometimes I get her to venture out into the ocean and into the waves. I'd much rather stand-up paddle board than be in a Kayak, too. I like being a little higher to see around.

shepherd
04-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Now THAT looks like fun. And a bit challenging too. Unfortunately, we don't have whitewater around these parts.

EricB
04-13-2012, 05:07 PM

This looks like a death wish to me....

barefoot
04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm using an old windsurfing board as my SUP. Works fine and a cheap alternative to buying a new one.

Brian B
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
^ Thats gnarly! This is what we do in Colorado

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/DSCF0153.jpg

Brian B
04-13-2012, 06:44 PM
I have a friend who rides his paddle board down stream through class 1 rapids on ^ that river! THAT sounds like fun to me. They now have inflatable boards.

mzimme
04-13-2012, 08:18 PM
That looks fun on those rivers... paddling around on a lake, however, not so appealing.

sizzler
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
i have one that is inflatable...use it for exercise at the lake and for a bit of wakesurfing ...and for the surf down in Cornwall

bpinhigh
04-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I love my paddle boards! I have a yolo and 2 supatx throw away boards for guests. You would be surprised the fun we have late night goofing off around the dock. Also I use mine to bass fish off in the early mornings. Nothing beats a workout while fishing! The kids love them too. my wife does yoga in the mornings. Google sup yoga st Augustine, its atleast enjoyable to watch:)

As far as the supatx boards they are great around the dock and stable for first timers. Seem to last okay I've had mine for 2 years no damage yet.

shepherd
04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Google sup yoga st Augustine, its atleast enjoyable to watch:)

I agree! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQzV8ASd-XQ

SkiDog
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Davis Love III has recently opened a paddle board shop on St. Simons Island, Ga. where he lives. He does it to stay in shape for golf. he's says its a great workout for your abs!
http://www.mcgladreyclassic.com/news/2011/08/15/paddle-putt-opens-on-st-simons-island/

georgea0731
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I've been toying with getting a paddle board. I may keep my eye out for a demo sale or someone upgrading to an advanced model. I worry that I'd be excited for a few trips another the house, but get tired of the same area on the lake. We'll see. Keep any info. good or bad coming.

johnlanguab
04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
My paddle board arrived today. I got the Imagine Surfer from Appomattox River Company for $480 +/- shipped to Alabama. I don't see any more though, they may have sold out. It looked like the best price out there for a plastic beginner board.

NatesGr8
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
anyone here have any experience with tower paddle boards (http://www.towerpaddleboards.com)?

NatesGr8
05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Bump!

shepherd
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I drank the SUP kool-aid this week. They have free SUP rentals during lunch where I work. Went out twice. I enjoyed it. I doubt it does much for your core/abs (at least I didn't feel anything) but it was a pretty decent low impact upper body workout.

I still wouldn't call it "exciting" but it's a pleasant way to tool around on the water. It sure beats eating lunch at my desk while I browse TeamTalk!

coz
05-30-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/laird-hamilton/blame-laird-85057335.jpg
http://zacheven-esh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/laird.jpg

atlfootr
06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
I bought a paddleboard, mine last year cost $1,200 and that included the paddle.
A friend of mine bought several the other day, guess he has a lot of friends.
Maybe I'll get to use one sometime ...

Brian B
06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm off to San Diego tomorrow and I think I'm going to rent a paddle board and put my 4 year old on it and cruise the shoreline in the bay!

StrmChzr
03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Wasn't very impressed the first time I paddle boarded at Lake Tahoe a couple summers ago. Snagged a SUPAtx for $750 at the beginning of last summer with intent to use for cardio and core strengthen - kind of like New Year's gym membership that never gets used.... Except, I started paddle boarding most weekend mornings when buddies weren't available to go out in boat. I've found it to be a very enjoyable when the waters calm early in day. Consider it an acquired taste type of activity for cruising around when conditions are conducive. Not for everybody, but definitely some folks will "get it" and enjoy chillin on the big board when not jump waves on wakeboard or wake surfing behind the boat.

SKIBUMM
03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I was very skeptical of them but my wife wanted to take a couple of them down to Lake Powell last year for our two weeks. I reluctantly called a friend who rents them and he hocked me up with a couple of them. They were never not being used from sun up til sundown. I went out with my wife for about an hour everyday and it was a great time and a good workout. I have since used them in Mexico to surf and that was a blast. Most likely will be purchasing a couple this summer as my daughters are always asking if I can go grab a couple from my buddy for them to use on a lake in a subdivision that is very close that no power boats are allowed on.

orbeamlb
03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Finally tried it myself in Cozumel during our January cruise. There are several places to rent them here in Austin so I'll try it a few more times before buying one. Found it good for balancing with the slow speed.

Table Rocker
07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
My 9 year old has been wanting to try a stand up paddle board. I am thinking it might be fun for midday when we are usually not in the boat. Any input would be appreciated. Is it something she (and the rest of us) will likely do more than a few times? I realize it depends on the individual, but what has been the experience of the TT crew?

There is one on Craigslist that I figure could be had for under $500. It appears that SUP ATX is lower end.
http://images.craigslist.org/00c0c_8JojKRdXhx9_600x450.jpg

shepherd
07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I bought a YOLO board about 7 months ago after being initially skeptical. While it was initially fun and unique, I mainly use it now for exercise (you get out of it what you put into it -- 30+ minutes of steady strong paddling is a pretty decent upper body and aerobic workout). But, for me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for the workout aspect of it, I probably wouldn't use it much at all.

I don't know about kids, but it seems like one of those things that a kid would get bored with after a few tries. I wouldn't call it "fun" in the same sense as skiing, surfing, etc.

Table Rocker
07-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I bought a YOLO board about 7 months ago after being initially skeptical. While it was initially fun and unique, I mainly use it now for exercise (you get out of it what you put into it -- 30+ minutes of steady strong paddling is a pretty decent upper body and aerobic workout). But, for me, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for the workout aspect of it, I probably wouldn't use it much at all.

I don't know about kids, but it seems like one of those things that a kid would get bored with after a few tries. I wouldn't call it "fun" in the same sense as skiing, surfing, etc.
Thanks, it sounds like I might just need to rent one for the day and let her get it out of her system. She sees other kids on them in the cove and wants to do it. Being a solo activity, I'm sure she would tire of it quickly. She is the chatty one in the family.