PDA

View Full Version : X45 Stereo Upgrade - Part 1A- Subwoofer

1970RSZ28
05-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Now dont get me wrong, the stock X45 stereo is VERY good, I just want BETTER! More bass, more amplification and a killer set of tower speakers. My X45 has the stock Clarion head unit, no tower speakers, JL Audio free-air sub, 4 JL Audio interior speakers and the JL Audio M6450 class A/B, 6 channel marine amp (Which is now for sale, used once, mint, $350.00). After alot of research and talking to many professional audio installers, I decided to go with the Boston SPG555 subwoofer. It has a unique oval shape that boasts a 13 inch subwoofer in a 10 inch space. It can handle 1000w RMS and only needs 1 cubic foot of air in a sealed enclosure. It also has a removable 2 or 4 ohm voice coil that can be replaced without removing the sub from the enclosure. Now where does it go? I chose the X45 for the huge amount of space and storage area and I didnt want to lose any of this, if possible. Ive seen people put their sub box in the observers seat area but I cram alot of stuff in there. I also didnt want to cut the boat, if possible. I decided to mount the box in the area behind the pilots' seat and use the stock sub cutout hole for the sound to exit. I normally use this space for backup towels and life vests so losing 1 cubic foot of space isnt a big deal. This would mean a little more work when fabbing up the box. Here are 5 photos with another post to follow.

kskonn
05-08-2011, 12:46 AM
That is some nice fab work. Building a box is not as easy as it looks, looks like this is not your first rodeo. Don't forget to Silicone that up, probably want to coat that MDF so that it doesn't swell up from Moisture.

I put my sub behind the observers seat with all my amps. I went the opposite route, I put in a ported downfire box with a 12 in Wet Sounds xxx sub. It slams, probably a little to much, but I love it. and I didn't mind losing the space, I do not store much on the boat besides towels, life jackets, noodles and wakeboards(in the racks).

Cobra Rob
05-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I have my box in the same location on the 45.. It's 3 10" Kicker L5s though..

1970RSZ28
05-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Wow, thats alot of sub!