PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News!!!

milkmania
07-20-2005, 07:37 PM
ABC Board OKs Alcohol Sales At Sam's Club

POSTED: 6:19 pm CDT July 20, 2005
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Board voted 3-2 on Wednesday in favor of allowing Sam's Club to sell liquor. Sam's Club plans to use the permit to sell liquor when it opens a new store in Fayetteville. The store will be located near Interstate 540 and Highway 112. Your Hometown News will have a live report with reaction from Little Rock

rodltg2
07-20-2005, 07:39 PM
dont get it whats the big deal?

milkmania
07-20-2005, 07:41 PM
it may be just an Arkansas thing....
they're only allowed to sell wine that is manufactured within the state.
and beer.

Liquor's a whole other animal!:friday:

bucky
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
it may be just an Arkansas thing....
they're only allowed to sell wine that is manufactured within the state.
and beer.

Liquor's a whole other animal!:friday:

They're still decades ahead of 3.2% Oklahoma. :rant:

Dear Lord, please save us from your followers!

milkmania
07-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Lord, save us from your followers!

yes, but this is a step closer to selling liquor in the Ft. Smith, Ar. store:purplaugh

sidenote:
just another way to run the mom & pop liquor stores out of business:rant:

lakes Rick
07-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Liquor in the front

Poker in the rear......

bradamerry
07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Liquor in the front

Poker in the rear......

MarkP
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
ABC Board OKs Alcohol Sales At Sam's Club

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The Arkansas Alcoholic Beverage Control Board voted 3-2 on Wednesday in favor of allowing Sam's Club to sell liquor. Sam's Club plans to use the permit to sell liquor when it opens a new store in Fayetteville. The store will be located near Interstate 540 and Highway 112. Your Hometown News will have a live report with reaction from Little RockUm, Congrats??:confused:

jayocheskey
07-20-2005, 11:58 PM

Move to Texas, we'll get you some good 'ol 5%

bucky
07-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Move to Texas, we'll get you some good 'ol 5%
Unfortunately, Texas is nearly dry all the way to Dallas from here. 2 liquor stores in Paris, one on I-30 outside Rockwall. :mad:

Leroy
07-21-2005, 12:30 AM
In Belgium they have many 10-12% beers. One of those went a long way!THe whole interstate thing on alcohol is crazy. Moving back from Belgium we had to ship our wine supply (200 bottles) into Canada and get it trucked over the border as it was illegal to bring wine from Europe in Indiana or we would have to pay tax.

parks_jr_55
07-21-2005, 12:36 AM
In Belgium they have many 10-12% beers. One of those went a long way!THe whole interstate thing on alcohol is crazy. Moving back from Belgium we had to ship our wine supply (200 bottles) into Canada and get it trucked over the border as it was illegal to bring wine from Europe in Indiana or we would have to pay tax.

You could come to Wisconsin and drink some Milwaukees Best. I didn't realize this until the other day but Miller makes all the beer for Wisconsin stronger than the beer being sent outa state

Leroy
07-21-2005, 12:41 AM
Sounds good Parks! Used to be a favorite beer in college (along with Blatz, Wiederman, ....can't remember anymore....), but I was probably getting the watered down stuff!

bucky
07-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm getting sentimental. I Think I'll pop down to Texarkana tomorrow, buy a single (driving, understand) and go see the Coors distributor from Smokey and the Bandit! :steering: :toast:

SDmc205
07-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Thats always the craziest thing about traveling in other states. All the funky liquor laws. Here in good ol' California, if the store is open you can buy whatever you want, whenever you want. That skeazy hoe you picked up at the local dive bar wants another drink at 3:00 in the morning, 7-11 is open for your alchohol buying convenience.

What a beautiful world. :D

sizzler
07-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Liquor in the front

Poker in the rear......

too funny.......i like the double-entendre :worthy:

ajgressette
07-21-2005, 07:11 AM
We still have Mini-Bottles and no beer or liquor sales on Sundays. Liquor can only be sold in special stand alone stores called ABC Store.

Stock up on Saturday!!!!!!! :friday:

Gimme 2 ice clold 40oz, one for each hand....HA! :uglyhamme

MarkP
07-21-2005, 07:43 AM
We still have Mini-Bottles and no beer or liquor sales on Sundays. Liquor can only be sold in special stand alone stores called ABC Store.

Stock up on Saturday!!!!!!! :friday:

Gimme 2 ice clold 40oz, one for each hand....HA! :uglyhamme
PA just recently started opening the “state stores” (liquor store) on Sunday as a trial in selected areas. Luckily my area was one of the selected and proudly we have achieved record sales.:friday: .

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Sounds good Parks! Used to be a favorite beer in college (along with Blatz, Wiederman, ....can't remember anymore....), but I was probably getting the watered down stuff!

How about some Schlitz and Pabst Blue Ribbon?

lakes Rick
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
PA just recently started opening the “state stores” (liquor store) on Sunday as a trial in selected areas. Luckily my area was one of the selected and proudly we have achieved record sales.:friday: .

Its a money thing.. Oregon does the same thing and booze is about double what it is in California.. TAXES....

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 12:46 PM

You can't even buy beer at Sam's in my backwards-***, puritanical town. :rant:

But a bunch of out-of-beer drunks driving 30 minutes to the liquor store is a good idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately, Texas is nearly dry all the way to Dallas from here. 2 liquor stores in Paris, one on I-30 outside Rockwall. :mad:

It will surprise you the % of Texas that is actually dry. Growing up in Houston, I would never have realized it. But there are dry counties everywhere. I, unfortunately, live in one right now.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
We just visited Nassau Bay, and boy did that suck..... Glad we brought our own, but had to share!!!

parks_jr_55
07-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Old Milwaukee?

Don't know how old you guys are.

milkmania
07-21-2005, 05:31 PM
You can't even buy beer at Sam's in my backwards-***, puritanical town. :rant:

But a bunch of out-of-beer drunks driving 30 minutes to the liquor store is a good idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

east tx skier....
smaller words! lol

are you going to try Samuel Adam's Utopias 2005?
50 proof and $100.00 a bottle
limited run of 8000 bottles

50 proof = 25% alcohol:headbang:

*edit:
Puritanical
Of or pertaining to the Puritans, or to their doctrines and practice.

ohhhhh.......that's what it's called:o

3event
07-21-2005, 05:41 PM

PBR me ASAP! Anyone remember that? In WI there are still fans of that stuff, and I even found a bar last year that had Pabst on tap ! There's a story about a local stock car racer named Dick Trickl (no kidding, just google it if you dont believe - how would you like that one as a kid?????). He was a big name around here. Got sponsored by Coors. For the photo ops, it later became known that he dumped the Coors out of the can and refilled with Pabst every time, wouldn't drink anything else. Wisconsin beer fans are pretty set in their ways.

Meanwhile....Parks JR, wheredya hear Miller beer is stronger for the home market? That's key information.

parks_jr_55
07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
PBR me ASAP! Anyone remember that? In WI there are still fans of that stuff, and I even found a bar last year that had Pabst on tap ! There's a story about a local stock car racer named Dick Trickl (no kidding, just google it if you dont believe - how would you like that one as a kid?????). He was a big name around here. Got sponsored by Coors. For the photo ops, it later became known that he dumped the Coors out of the can and refilled with Pabst every time, wouldn't drink anything else. Wisconsin beer fans are pretty set in their ways.

Meanwhile....Parks JR, wheredya hear Miller beer is stronger for the home market? That's key information.

Dick Trickl is from Wisconsin Rapids. Where I live. I have heard that too about dumping the Coors.

It was on the travel channel once when the toured beer places.

jraben8
07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
It will surprise you the % of Texas that is actually dry. Growing up in Houston, I would never have realized it. But there are dry counties everywhere. I, unfortunately, live in one right now.

Around Dallas its by municipality. All of the little city councils want to appeal to the bible belt contingency that got them elected but want the taxes that it generates. So they put it up for a 'special election'. If it passes, they can simply tell their supports that were against it, "its not my fault". The voters that were for it don't care because we finally have easier access rather than having to remember to pick some up on our way home from work. 9 times out of 10 you were going to pass through a city that was wet.

milkmania
07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
told ya8p

now we hear from Mom & Pop.....

Small Liquor Store Owners Oppose Board's Decision

UPDATED: 12:36 pm CDT July 21, 2005
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Small liquor store proprietors are protesting Wednesday's ABC Board decision to allow a new Sam's Club store in Fayetteville to sell liquor. "Every person who owns a liquor store in Arkansas is now going to have to compete with every grocery chain and Wal-Mart," said liquor store owner Matthew Britt. "We think the board has been misled and that Wal-Mart will be back down in here in a year or two and change the laws so they can have liquor in every store." According to Wal-Mart officials, that's not the case. "Let me be very clear we have no intention of pursuing any changes in the law that would add to our ability to have more than one license in the state of Arkansas," said Wal-Mart spokesperson Bob McAdam. The new Sam's Club in Fayetteville will be the only Wal-Mart store in Arkansas allowed to sell liquor. Officials plan to tear down the store in Springdale and build a new store near Interstate 540 and Highway 112. That store will have an adjoining wall but won't share any entrances or exits. They said that if all goes as planned, the store will be open in one year. Those who oppose the liquor license can appeal the board's decision. Earlier this year, the ABC Board turned down Sam's Club's request for a liquor license. But officials with Sam's Club appealed that decision, which prompted Wednesday's hearing and vote on the issue. Fayetteville officials were worried that millions of dollars in tax revenue would be lost if the ABC Board didn't approve the request. City leaders showed up at Wednesday's hearing to show their support for the project -- but other community leaders said they are against the plan.