PDA

View Full Version : Help! Oil Change drain tube stuck down dip stick

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 12:06 AM
My friend was trying to change the oil on my recently purchased 1998 MC Pro Star 190 by sliding a platic tube down the dip stick tube with the intent of pumping the oil out from there. BUT the plastic tube is now stuck down there and won't come out.
Has anyone heard of this happening before???? Might anyone have any ideas for me on how to get it out??? It's really stuck. Mike
***Also*** If anyone might have any tips on how to prep the boat for the season that would be great!!!
We have already changed the spark plugs and impeller. I was wondering should I grease it anywhere?

wtrskr
05-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I've got a '94 and I had to pump the oil out of the dipstick. Mine didn't come out easy but it came out with a slow steady pull while twisting. You should be able to remove the dipstick if you have to.

I would download an owners manual and look at the regular maintence items (go under general topics and look in the FAQs thread) One area to grease annually is the rudder. You'll need a grease gun but it is pretty easy.

Jerseydave
05-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Can you reach the plastic tube to pull it out with pliers? If it's just stuck, try spraying some silicone spray or WD40 down there to make it slide out.
The whole dipstick tube can be removed too if you need to do that. On most engine it is pressed into the block so it will take some effort to remove it.

Where do you ski on LI? I have a friend from Levittown LI that has an X-star.

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
THANK YOU! We tried that pulling and twisting motion. I guess just get back there and try it again. Grease rudder with grease gun, download owners manual. I'll get back to you with how it went later. Mike

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm in Stony Brook. It would be great to meet your friend as he skis and is on Long Island.

Jerseydave
05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm in Stony Brook. It would be great to meet your friend as he skis and is on Long Island.

His name is Kevin in a 2001 red/white X-star. I think his spot is one of those shallow areas somewhere within eyesite of Jones Inlet? (sorry, I've never ridden at his site yet) I know he can only ride at high tide, too shallow at low tide. Introduce yourself if you see him. He is Lazypiper on this forum.

Any luck with the dipstick tube situation?

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 10:08 PM
The plastic tube broke off somewhere inside of the oil pan.
We then discoverd that the boat has an oil tube/plug to drain the oil.
We now have the oil changed, but we have about a foot or so of this of plastic tube somewhere in the oil pan area. Could it be wrapped around something in there???
Do you think a foot or so of plastic tube in the oil pan area could cause a problem?
Are there any working parts in the oil pan? Could it melt in there and clog the screen.
Should I not start this engine until I get the remaining piece of that plastic tube out out of the oil pan area? Any thoughts? Mike
**WE know the plastic is not in the dip stick tube since we replaced it.

MCMIKE
05-07-2011, 11:21 PM
WELL! I just discoverd this exact same problem is discussed on this forum in July 2009.
You can find it searching Team Talk "Oil syphon hose stuck in the pan"
In the artical the guy gets lucky and frees the tube from the oil pan.
Me! Mine broke off in the pan. Now the question is. Is it ok to run the boat with this plastic tube in my oil pan.

Jerseydave
05-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Can you remove the oil drain hose from the bottom of the oil pan without lifting up the engine? If so, maybe reach in there with a grabber tool (Snapon, Mac or NAPA) to remove the plastic siphon hose? You really need to get that out of there. It prob won't melt, but it could get caught in the crankshaft or oil pickup and cause some bigger problems.

Philscbx
05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Rebuilding engines, you'd find broken nylon timing gear chucks in most Ford engines.
The screen on the oil pump won't allow much larger than sand to get through, so no worry there.

Lets assume the worst, the screen is missing, now what.
What's next in line leaving the oil pimp to see bits of plastic hose?

I'm still Trying to figure out why the dipstick vs the normal drain would be used.
Oh, I get it, the boat is in the water.

I do recall the ad's as a kid that grew up on the farm in the 60's. I never wanted to try it.
It's not possible to get all the old oil out, plus very slow process from barely 1/8" hole in tubing.

In the near future, if anyone is interested, I'll show images or video how to speed drain the engine oil out the transom drain faster than you can pour it in without spilling a drop.
Its pretty cool. I had to streamline the process or go nuts.

Looks like I need to update the process with boat already in the water.
No problem.

MCMIKE
05-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Jersey Dave, Wish me luck, I'm going to give that grabber and a hook a try. @Philscbx I'd sure like to see that video of how you speed drain the oil.

MCMIKE
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
JerseyDave , Philscbx, Wtrskr, if you search my name on here you will see I posted about this twice in my panic. I replied in that other post about this, that I'm having the engine pulled so a mechanic can access that oil pan...

MCMIKE
05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm just going to leave it in there and see how it goes. I'll let this board know if any problems come from having 29 inches of plastic syphon tube in my oil pan.

Jerseydave
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Only 29" of plastic tubing Mike? Wow, I was picturing a lot less.
Good luck, hope it all works out for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

X45fun
05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Just above the oil and splashing in the oil is the connecting rods. with this much tube it could easily get wrapped around the bearings. I would imagine that with time it will get eaten up enough so that it just sits in the bottom of the pan. The little pieces of the hose though could clog the screen so I would change my oil a lot during the first 10 hours.

X45fun
05-12-2011, 10:32 PM
truth be told I would pull the pan and get it out.

MCMIKE
05-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks X45fun, We started the boat yesterday no problem AND I am going to take you up on your advice of many oil changes in the first 10 hours, looking for pieces of that plastic tube in the oil. Again, Thanks, Mike

JimN
05-15-2011, 10:02 AM
My friend was trying to change the oil on my recently purchased 1998 MC Pro Star 190 by sliding a platic tube down the dip stick tube with the intent of pumping the oil out from there. BUT the plastic tube is now stuck down there and won't come out.
Has anyone heard of this happening before???? Might anyone have any ideas for me on how to get it out??? It's really stuck. Mike
***Also*** If anyone might have any tips on how to prep the boat for the season that would be great!!!
We have already changed the spark plugs and impeller. I was wondering should I grease it anywhere?

Why did he use the dipstick tube when the boat has a rubber hose with a brass fitting on it specifically for draining the oil, mounted at the normal drain plug location? This hose is used when using a vacuum pump, too. That way, there's no problem with the tube breaking off and if it gets stuck, which is almost impossible, it's not a big deal.

JimN
05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
For those of you who think using gravity to drain the oil is a good idea, Harbor Freight sells a vacuum-operated oil changing tank for about $120 and having used that kind (not the same brand- the one we had sold for over $300 at that time and it was identical). It needs to be charged by compressed air but even without owning a compressor, it can be done at a gas station. One charge is more than enough to drain more the oil on one of these boats.

It takes a few minutes to draw all of the oil out unless the engine hasn't been run and it's really cold.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lubrication/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 10:19 AM
For those of you who think using gravity to drain the oil is a good idea, Harbor Freight sells a vacuum-operated oil changing tank for about $120 and having used that kind (not the same brand- the one we had sold for over $300 at that time and it was identical). It needs to be charged by compressed air but even without owning a compressor, it can be done at a gas station. One charge is more than enough to drain more the oil on one of these boats.

It takes a few minutes to draw all of the oil out unless the engine hasn't been run and it's really cold.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lubrication/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

Great link Jim. I plan to add the drain tube to my oil pan and will be picking up one of these. There are a number of other extractors for the same or more money that don't look near as well built.

JimN
05-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Great link Jim. I plan to add the drain tube to my oil pan and will be picking up one of these. There are a number of other extractors for the same or more money that don't look near as well built.

I think some of the tubes are brass, too. At least, the one we had came with two plastic and two brass ones, of different diameter.They were flexible enough to follow a curve but as long as they weren't bent too far, they didn't kink.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I think some of the tubes are brass, too. At least, the one we had came with two plastic and two brass ones, of different diameter.They were flexible enough to follow a curve but as long as they weren't bent too far, they didn't kink.

My driveway has the perfect incline to drain oil once I get the oil pan drain hose set-up. Might not even need the extractor. I have used the hose in the dipstick method without incident so far. I know I am on borrowed time time and plan to make the switch.

JimN
05-15-2011, 10:48 AM
My driveway has the perfect incline to drain oil once I get the oil pan drain hose set-up. Might not even need the extractor. I have used the hose in the dipstick method without incident so far. I know I am on borrowed time time and plan to make the switch.

Q-"Hey-wanna go skiing?"
A- "Sorry, I'm waiting for the oil to drain out of my motor"

Q-"How long will that take?"
A- "About a half hour. If I had a vacuum tank, it would only take a couple of minutes"

thatsmrmastercraft
05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Q-"Hey-wanna go skiing?"
A- "Sorry, I'm waiting for the oil to drain out of my motor"

Q-"How long will that take?"
A- "About a half hour. If I had a vacuum tank, it would only take a couple of minutes"

Can't argue with that. :D