PDA

View Full Version : Stopping water from puddling on cover?

YooperScott
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I have a '95 190 and whenever we are at the lake the boat stays in the water (very clean water) and gets covered every night. Trouble is whenever it rains the cover allows the water to create huge puddles that suck the cover way down and then it gets pulled up over the sides, etc.... I started putting the rear seat up in the "sundeck" position which helps a little and have tried various heights with the poles which also helps some but has yet to solve the problem. I've been thinking I need to build/buy something that can quickly connect onto the handles running down the sides of the boat that bow up and run across the boat to keep the cover up. Anyone have any simple easy way to stop this problem and best yet can you share some pictures?

Hoping I can fix this issue this year because i'm thinking if we have plans for going to the lake multiple times within a close enough time period I may leave the boat in the water and save the gas money of driving the truck up north (for the sole purpose of putting boat in and out) and drive the car which gets much better mileage at $4+/gallon.

Thanks,
Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190 - PP Stargazer

Miss Rita
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Get some slat rail connectors and an appropriate slat:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=20582&pdesc=Slat_Rail_Connectors_2_pack&str=support+slat&merchID=4005

east tx skier
05-06-2011, 04:47 PM
You can also build something similar out of pvc pipe. The one I have seen slips over the ski pylon. Just below the windshield level, there is an elbow off the pylon supported pipe that goes straight back. It has Ts off to the sides with the pipes connecting to the grab rail (probably cut some pipe in half to make it clip on there). At the back, it goes down with a 45 degree elbow joint and abuts the base of the rear seat.

Something like this (sorry for the bad sketch).

Starshack
05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I made one out of PVC and it works great - did not think about an elbow from the pylon but that is a good idea. A couple of suggestions - put it together dry fit and try it out with a bucket of water or a hose - you can recut and adjust as necessary. I ran a tight line from the bow eye to the stern to get an idea of how high it needed to be. On final assembly have a dry joint in the middle so you can take apart for storage - I used 1&1/2 PVC - lesser diameter is a bit flimsy. Diagram above is good plan.

agua4fun
05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a different but simalar boat (2001 PS190) - and float the boat with the cover much of the summer. I found that if you can get some weight hanging on each side to pull the cover tight the (2) normal poles for the cover work great. I often use a 1/2 gallon milk jug full of water hanging from the tie loop on each side abut 2' behind the pylon location. works great - the boat is completely dry. - I just need to find something that looks better. I want to fill a bumper with water, but haven't tried it yet.

ahhudgins
05-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Get some slat rail connectors and an appropriate slat:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=20582&pdesc=Slat_Rail_Connectors_2_pack&str=support+slat&merchID=4005

A friend of mine leaves his 190 on a lift all summer and he uses those slats and connectors and it works great. The slats are adjustable so you can put the arc as high as your cover will allow.

YooperScott
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replys. I guess I never paid enough attention to the Overton's catalog because after seeing the link I went and looked and low and behold there they are. I think i'll order 2 (hopefully that will do it) at ~$45 and try that. I definitely like that PVC idea but I can just imagine myself wanting everything perfect and spending many hours building it and wind up with $30+ in tubing/fittings/etc.... I actually like that idea better but since I store and use my boat 380 miles from home I tend to like to spend as little time needing to mess with anything while there. Also going to the store for 'just one more fitting' is a pain up there too. Wash, wax, oil, etc in the fall before storage and use it when there spring and summer. My mom has SO many house projects that I seem to spend 75+% of the time working on those and want the boat to be turn the key and go for "relaxing" time.

Thanks again

Scott

YooperScott
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Actually scratch the above post. Went to order on Overton's and read the reviews which scared me off. I'll just buy a bunch of various PVC fittings, tube, etc and bring it north with me Memorial Day weekend and build one like Easty spoke of supported from pylon to back and side to side. That way if something doesn't work the first time can always just cut/add/modify.

Thanks,

Scott

rhsprostar
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
White PVC pipe is the answer. I use one that is about 4-5 feet long. It slides over the ski pylon and just sits on the floor. On the top you use a PVC end cap to keep the cover from fraying. It gives you a tent effect to the nose and rear.

Start with a longer piece and try it, if the sides of your cover don't come down far enough take it to your chop saw and cut off 2 inches, and repeat.
I like it because it is fast and easy and never falls over. IMHO you don't need any arms or anything.

barefoot
05-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I have a pretty cool setup on my boat....came with the boat when I bought it. Essentially, I have a line running from the bow eye to the stern eyes connected in the middle by a bungee cord and a 3ft piece of wood. It's enough to create a 'tent like' rise where the water would pool.

Shooter McKevin
05-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Pop the engine cover and let it hold the cover up.

pmkkdx
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I made up a PVC structure similar to those described above for my '83 S&S. very simple and inexpensive ... one time set up, then only about a minute to assemble/disassemble when putting cover on/off. The slats seems pretty simple route too though.

loeweb
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
My MC cover has a loop that fits over the pylon and tightens down to the tow eyes in the back of the boat. I cinch the cover up starting with the skirt rope then all of the tie downs, then the tow eye straps, then go around and tighten all of them again if possible. That is only on the trailer so the tie downs help a lot.

davidstan
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I have a different but simalar boat (2001 PS190) - and float the boat with the cover much of the summer. I found that if you can get some weight hanging on each side to pull the cover tight the (2) normal poles for the cover work great. I often use a 1/2 gallon milk jug full of water hanging from the tie loop on each side abut 2' behind the pylon location. works great - the boat is completely dry. - I just need to find something that looks better. I want to fill a bumper with water, but haven't tried it yet.

I like the milk jug idea :D !! Actually i tried it one summer but we got a good downpour and the weight of the water on the cover eventually out weighed the jugs plus when my wife saw what i did she laughed and thought i was trying to be funny. Next summer we bought a boat lift.

jbkriss
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I used to use a large wooden dowel with a tennis ball over the end. Just cut a hole in the tennis ball, put it over one or both ends of the dowel and prop it up under the cover (tent-like). Water will run off the sides without a problem.