PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Wakeboard

lanep82
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Good morning. I was out of the wakeboarding world for about the past 6 years due to an ACL tear and basically me just being nervous getting back into the sport.

Currently, I have a Hyperlite Belmont board and Parks bindings. I believe these were purchased back in 2003 or 2004. It's been awhile.

That being said, I bought my first MC a few weeks ago and am looking at getting back into the 'game'. I went to Hyperlite's website and I didn't recognize any of the wakeboards/binding names and was wondering if I could get some advice.

$ isn't really an issue but I don't need TOP TOP of the line, by any means.

I am 5-11 about 200 lbs (I know, I am a fatass)
I would say that I USED to be an average wakeboarder. Plenty of jumps/surface tricks/basic backrolls and tantrums. That's about my skill level
Are continuous rockers still good?

Any advice for make/model would be extremely appreciated!

aaron.
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
oh golly. sky's the limit dude. There are a ton of awesome boards on the market. I'd say just find one that looks good to you, and has good channels on the bottom. Avoid flat jib boards, unless you plan on hitting sliders and other obstacles. I'm a pretty big fan of my Ronix One, but the other brands all have comparable models.

between 3-stage, continuous, hybrid...it's whatever dude. Some of the staged rockers will give you hella pop off the wake.

the biggest question for you to decide is your boots. Closed toe or open toe. If you choose closed toe, make sure they aren't too small or you will jam your toes on every hard landing.

you're gonna be surprised, boards & boots have come a long way in 6 years. its amazing.

Jerseydave
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Get out and demo a few different boards first before you buy.

I like my Watson and my Lyman (Lyman a little bit better) with closed toe Watson or Shane boots. The TRIP is a good all-around board also. But I have not tried many others, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! :D

I'd like to try the new Slingshot wood-core board though, looks interesting. Plus I like the fact that Slingshot is made here in the USA.

Jerseydave
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
The Hooke

Their fasttrack binding mounting system looks great too.......an infinite number of adjustments for mounting your boots.

aaron.
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
slingshots are dope. I have two. 2009 Response & 2010 Reflex

they aren't the best boat-riders because they are made mostly for kite, cable & winch. They are flat on the bottom for hitting sliders, thus they feel slippery behind a boat because of the lack of rails/channels. beware.

If you are a highly practiced fin-less rider, you probably won't have a problem...but the fair weather rider will have difficulties compared to riding a watson, etc...

When it comes to hitting/jibbing features, Slingshot is king.

cf_koch
05-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree that you should test ride bords if you have the opportunity. I also have had great luck with a Liquid Force Watson and Transit bindings.

lanep82
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Man. Thanks a bunch for all of the help so far. I have been taking notes!

I will say a few more things.....I DO want a good all-around board. The lake I ride on is never that smooth so I'd like to get a board that can handle the 'open seas'. As I understand it, some boards are better for that then others.

The closed-toe boots is a new thing to me! I just noticed that the other day. I REALLY liked my Parks bindings and I am thinking that I may stick w/closed-toe. What is the big difference in the two? Major advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks again.

aaron.
05-06-2011, 02:35 PM
closed toe:

Pro:better support/construction, keeps your feet super warm in cold water, the board will feel as though its a part of your body.

Con: You need to make sure you have the best fitting boot you can find, or you may find your toes getting jammed into the front of the boots. If you live in a tropical climate, you may find your feet roasting haha.

***Depending on who you are, its either a pro/con, that closed toe boots will only fit the owner the best. Other people with different sized feet may have problems using your board....and they could stretch your boot if their feet are too big. For me its nice, keeps people out of my boots!!

open toe.

Pro: More forgiving to multiple sized feet. They allow your feet to breath. Don't have to worry about stubbing your toe.

Con: Less support, and pretty sure the OT tecnology hasn't really advanced in years (other than weight). Edit: oh, and if you come in and stomp a hot landing, there is a chance of your feet pushing through the opening. I've ruined OT bindings this way.

chawk610
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Good morning. I was out of the wakeboarding world for about the past 6 years due to an ACL tear and basically me just being nervous getting back into the sport.

Currently, I have a Hyperlite Belmont board and Parks bindings. I believe these were purchased back in 2003 or 2004. It's been awhile.

That being said, I bought my first MC a few weeks ago and am looking at getting back into the 'game'. I went to Hyperlite's website and I didn't recognize any of the wakeboards/binding names and was wondering if I could get some advice.

$ isn't really an issue but I don't need TOP TOP of the line, by any means.

I am 5-11 about 200 lbs (I know, I am a fatass)
I would say that I USED to be an average wakeboarder. Plenty of jumps/surface tricks/basic backrolls and tantrums. That's about my skill level
Are continuous rockers still good?

Any advice for make/model would be extremely appreciated!

Did you tear it wakeboarding??? Just curious