PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Pro Star 197 "Swimming" tracking issues at higher speeds

ACM197
05-06-2011, 02:27 AM
On my 2006 197; MCX w/ 1:1 and ACME prop, at higher speeds and flat water, it slowly starts to drift/swim/float a little to the right and left when pulling a footer. This problem is intermittent--not sure if it has something to do with the slow current and angle of attack, or a possible bent rudder? Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Thank you

jkski
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Is your rudder "loaded" (ground on one edge) at all? I can recall a similar feeling from some of my 197's on nice flat water until I loaded the rudder to place a slight constant tension on the wheel.

east tx skier
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Check your tracking fins. Maybe one of them is bent.

Sodar
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Is your rudder "loaded" (ground on one edge) at all? I can recall a similar feeling from some of my 197's on nice flat water until I loaded the rudder to place a slight constant tension on the wheel.

Exactly. If the rudder is "neutral", it does tend to fishtail a bit.

barefootnaked
04-21-2015, 06:38 PM
ifni want it to track right which side of the rudder to grid down and how much

jkski
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM
When looking at the rudder from the rear, I grind the right side trailing edge which makes it such that the boat pulls to the left if you let go the wheel so when course driving it has a constant pressure turned to the right. My advice if you have never ground a rudder before is to grind it evenly down the one side a little bit and then test as you can always grind more but can't put it back on (yes, you can always grid the opposite side to cancel out if need be).
Good luck and hope this helps.

CCAnderson
04-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Use a file to tune the rudder. Grinding removes material very fast especially in soft materials like those used for our rudders. You only need to remove a bit of material which only took me maybe five minutes. I took off a wedge 1/16" deep and 1/2" long which gave plenty of "load".