PDA

View Full Version : Loose Bolt on Engine Tranny

agua4fun
05-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Let me start by saying i am no engine guy - more of the electrical type.
durring my pre-season engine check - I found this loose bolt in the rear of the engine & tranny?
2001 PS190 5.7L LTR - 1:1 Tranny

The problem is I cant get it out because it backs into the engine mount, and i cant get a tool on it to get it back in. If i try to use pliers from the side - it doesnt seem to want to go back in.
Maybe it is not alligned with the internal thread properly? Hopefully it isnt sheared off inside and i cant get it out to check.

Either way am i missing an easy way to get at this, to get it back in? Is this something that i am going to have to take the boat to the dealer to get the engine out 1st?

The 2 pictures show the extent the bolt can slide freely in/out

Thanks,
Dave

CantRepeat
05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't have my 92 any longer so I can't go look. But, there should be two of the those bolts that hold that part of the mount to the tranny. If I remember right, there should a small set bolt that screws in the side of that mount on the tranny side.

If you support the tranny, loosen that set screw, unscrew the lower bolt enough to loosen the mount at the tranny, you should be able to get the top bolt threaded back into the tranny. Once in just tighten up the two mounting bolts and then the set screw.

You should be able to support the engine with a bolt jack under the exhaust manifold.

I maybe wrong on the set screw but I do recall something that holds the black mount part to the round shaft.

agua4fun
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Hmmmm im a bit confused - I think there is just 1 of these bolts on each side. but ill check that when i get home.
So if i support the tranny and loosten the large engine mount screw (big bolt on lower left) that may loosten the whole joint up enough for me to get the loose bolt in? but how do i get a tool in the hex screw? or do you just grab it from the side with pliers?

CantRepeat
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
No, sorry I didn't explain it that well.

In this photo, you can see two mounting holes. I believe yours is the same.

http://mikesell.net/images/boat/mount.jpg

You will need to investigate and see if your mount is like the one I remember.

But if one bolt is out the mount may have shifted. If you loosen the second bolt after supporting the transmission you should be able to put the one that fell out back in and tighten them both.

CantRepeat
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
You also may want to check prop shaft alignment too.

Say hi to Klinger for me as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
You also may want to check prop shaft alignment too.

Say hi to Klinger for me as well.

Nice touch on both counts.

agua4fun
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
yeah that IS it. Now i understand. How did you come up with an exploded picture of this part so fast? crazy!

Klinger stops by town for a few events each year - eats a pacos hotdog and leaves

CantRepeat
05-05-2011, 05:22 PM
yeah that IS it. Now i understand. How did you come up with an exploded picture of this part so fast? crazy!

Klinger stops by town for a few events each year - eats a pacos hotdog and leaves

google velvet transmission mount (images)

Klinger best character on M*A*S*H

What year model boat do you have?

agua4fun
05-05-2011, 06:07 PM
yeah i should have put that in the original post - ill edit it above for the future.
2001 PS190 5.7L LTR - 1:1 Tranny

CantRepeat
05-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Did you get this fixed?