PDA

View Full Version : Amp question ... quick please!!!

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
So I have a question...

Im running a WetSound 485 pod, and my car audio amp lasted a whole week till it went into protection mode. I guess the moisture in FL killed it quick.

So im looking at some Cadence Marine Amps.

The Cadence SQA 4

Specs:
4 Ohm RMS Power: 4 x 60 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
2 Ohm RMS Power: 4 x 100 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
4 Ohm Bridged RMS Power: 2 x 200 Watts @ 13.8 Volts

So my question is... if i take the 2 x 200 bridged channels and wire them togother to pod, basically going - to - and + to + into the connector of the wetsound speaker, will it get ~400x1 or will i kill the amp?

CantRepeat
05-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't think it works that way.

If you have 4 channels coming out of the amp you can bridge to two channels just like it says.

So you take the + on channel one and the - on channel two to make one bridged channel, then do the same to channels 3 and 4 and end up with two bridge channels. You can not bridge 4 channels into 1 channel.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 10:36 PM
yea...

well i took another cheap route and pick up a "pyle" of **** amp for the week. $250 overnighted, and it will run my 4 cabin speakers, and give me 250 - 500 x 2 @ 4ohm for the tower speakers... should work at least for now. And it is "marine" labeled... we shall see...

willyt
05-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Speaking from experience here... Blew both my pro60's with a cheap overpowered amp. Your amp is just as important as the tower speaker. If your running a 485 you've got the most powerful tower speaker out there (or at least that I've seen). You need to match it with a amp that's equal in quality. Don't go cheap on the amp, I'll cost you in the end.

And yes, I realize I'm an idiot for blowing my 60s. Cost a bunch to get them fixed, but after a new voice coil they sound great.

BNIROOSTER
05-05-2011, 06:18 AM
So I have a question...

Im running a WetSound 485 pod, and my car audio amp lasted a whole week till it went into protection mode. I guess the moisture in FL killed it quick.

So im looking at some Cadence Marine Amps.

The Cadence SQA 4

Specs:
4 Ohm RMS Power: 4 x 60 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
2 Ohm RMS Power: 4 x 100 Watts @ 13.8 Volts
4 Ohm Bridged RMS Power: 2 x 200 Watts @ 13.8 Volts

So my question is... if i take the 2 x 200 bridged channels and wire them togother to pod, basically going - to - and + to + into the connector of the wetsound speaker, will it get ~400x1 or will i kill the amp?

It sounds like if you wire it like that then you will change the ohm load back to 2ohm bridged and that amp isnt stable at that ohm load bridged. Plus it would be mono.

agarabaghi
05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Speaking from experience here... Blew both my pro60's with a cheap overpowered amp. Your amp is just as important as the tower speaker. If your running a 485 you've got the most powerful tower speaker out there (or at least that I've seen). You need to match it with a amp that's equal in quality. Don't go cheap on the amp, I'll cost you in the end.

And yes, I realize I'm an idiot for blowing my 60s. Cost a bunch to get them fixed, but after a new voice coil they sound great.

Well spec wise the pyle "o sh|t" is comparable for running what I am running. The key will be in the tunning, and making sure that even if someone tries to crank it up all the way, its limited (via headunit / cross overs / etc...) I needed something for this weekend asap, and my budget is not allowing me to spend the money on high quality marine amps. I really didn't think a standard amp would have crapped out so quickly. Anyways as soon as i have some $$$ saved up I plan on investing in the JL marine line. For now lets hope that the pyle can holds it's weight.

houtexX30
05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't think it works that way.

If you have 4 channels coming out of the amp you can bridge to two channels just like it says.

So you take the + on channel one and the - on channel two to make one bridged channel, then do the same to channels 3 and 4 and end up with two bridge channels. You can not bridge 4 channels into 1 channel.

This is correct. I would be extremely hesitant to run those wetsounds off a cheap a$$ amp. Even though the specs match up, it is not too much power that will blow a speaker, its distortion. In fact, its better to over-power a speaker than to under-power it. You also have to take into consideration that with cheaper products they severely over rate their output i.e. 500 watts doesn't really mean 500 watts. Whereas with a quality product like JL, kicker ect what the amp is rated at is what it will actually produce, and then some. That being said, I am not familiar with pyle marine but I do know that pyle in general is what the OP said, a "pyle" of $hit. If I were you and you absolutely had to use that amp, I would be really cautious as to not try and over-drive your speakers. It will end up costing you way more in the end. Just my 2 cents

agarabaghi
05-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Like i said. It will be all about tuning. I might just not hook up the tower speakers this weekend. But i feel that if i take caution i could get at least decent sound out of the amp, and eventually pick up a better tower speaker amp.

My last JL amp just crapped its self. Unfortunately it was not a marine amp, so i blame that. I figured I will get a cheap "marine" amp, and see how it holds up to the humidity in Florida. If it doesn't die with in a month, I will look to upgrade to something better.

lanep82
05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
But i feel that if i take caution i could get at least decent sound out of the amp

I agree. Just be careful and you SHOULD be ok for a weekend.

agarabaghi
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Yea, and if not ill have a great story to tell.

I just pulled my JL J2 360.2 amp apart to see if anything was wet / corroded. Inside looked fine, but then when i removed the side panels, i could see a bit of corrosion. I have it sitting in out laptop drying rack at work, and ill pick up some rubber gaskets or weather stripping to try and seal up the amp if it does come back to life haha...

venetrex
05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Just buy JL ausio marine amps. The jl audio 6450 can be had for $250 or less on many sites. And thats a Great amp. Only reason why I changed mine was I wanted the HD amps so my battery does not go dead. Read the reviews on them. But they are BIG money and there are no deals out there on those...