PDA

View Full Version : Left side of passanager storage?

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 10:39 AM
What is behind the left side of the passenger storage? Is this somewhere you could screw an amp into?

It not that its going to go through the hull is it?

Its a 2006 X1

Double D
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
What is behind the left side of the passenger storage? Is this somewhere you could screw an amp into?

Its a 2006 X1

I added a piece of wood with carpet and mounted it on there.

frosty
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Its a 2006 X1

If it is where I'm thinking it is...it is the inside of the boat hull.

I think that when people mount amps on that side, they fiberglass in small blocks of starboard, then screw the amps or boards into the starboard.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
yea i just checked, thats def inside of the boathull...

Damn so where the hell do i mount this amp lol.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Isnt there suppose to be a place on the right side where the factory amps are installed if your got them?

frosty
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Isnt there suppose to be a place on the right side where the factory amps are installed if your got them?
I got lucky, there were a couple of starboard mounts fiberglassed in on the right side on my boat.
look for black lumps under the fiberglass.
Or, do it yourself!
You might also be able to remove the bow cushion seat back on the port side, and thru bolt your board to the back side of the seat.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
ill pull the carpet and see what i find... i wondt if i could just liquid nail some starboard to the fiberglass =P ....

And what exactly is starboard? That honey comb stuff?

rgardjr1
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM

More like a plastic cutting/chopping board from the kitchen:

http://www.kingplastic.com/products/starboard.aspx

In my boat there are pieces used as dividers in the engine compartment/rear storage compartments.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
yup i have those as well... cool good to know...

paus21
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Mine are mounted on the back wall (so right behind the bow seat) and the right side wall of the passenger storage compartment. Back wall was the factory interior and the other was done for the sub and tower speakers added later.

frosty
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
ill pull the carpet and see what i find... i wondt if i could just liquid nail some starboard to the fiberglass =P ....

I'm not sure if Liquid Nail would stick to the starboard, it's slippery.

Be warned, starboard is very expensive. Nice to work with, though...you can shape it just like you can with wood...the shavings makes a mess, though!

The thinner sheets of starboard can be purchased at We$t Marine, but they may not have the 1/2" - 1" thick pieces suitable to glass in, though.
See if you have a marine salvage place nearby, they often sell starboard by the pound, and you can get some small, thick pieces to glass in pretty cheap.

Don't be real hesitant to glass in some blocks, it is pretty easy, just tape the block where you want it, get some fiberglass mesh, and wet it down with resin... and cover the block and at least an additional 2-3" around it with the mesh.

If you dig around under the boat, you will probably see examples of how they added these blocks at the factory... they look like black (usually) lumps under the 'glass.
Look under your windscreen, it was probably screwed into starboard blocks that were glassed in.
The mounting for the strut attached to the observer's seat, and bow cleat are also likely places.

If I was going to glass in some mounting blocks, I would spend the $$ on the starboard (other materials could split, or absorb moisture...and you have a quality boat, and glassed-in blocks are basically a permanent alteration, so use quality materials...then you won't have to re-do it!).
Then you could use what I like to call 'PMS' - Poor Man's Starboard - $10 cutting boards from wal-mart. :D to mount your amp to the PMS, then mount your PMS board to the starboard mounts.
If you covered your PMS with carpet, no one but you would know.

If you look at the pic I posted in your other thread about circuit breakers, you can see the cutout for the cutting board handle (err...PMS) in the pic.

agarabaghi
05-04-2011, 02:06 PM
haha...

I think ive figured out another solution...

Right now i have my JL J2 360/2 mounted to the floor under the passenger seat. It is raised up 1 inch on rubber feet.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/996/imagexyr.jpg

I am going get 1/2 inch black PVC 3inch high, and mount the JL J2 360/4 amp on top of it.

According to my measurements i have ~10inch before the lip of the fiberglass where the passenger seat rests.

so:
1in raised rubber feet
3 inch pvc
2.5inch amp
=
6.5 inches tall... so it will clear