PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Tristar 190 Open bow WIW?

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Hello again. I'm back to boat shopping and there is a 89 Tristar open bow 3 hours away that i'm interested in. I have 3 little kids age 6,4,2 and we are ready to start getting on the water. What do you all think this boat is worth? We'd like a Prostar 205 but just cant afford $15k for one right now. This Tristar is $7500 and i can swing that but i dont want to make a rookie mistake. Here are some pictures from the seller.

thanks,
Paul

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 12:21 AM
More pics.

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Last ones. thanks guys. Here is a video also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhPoujWgT0
Paul

Miss Rita
05-04-2011, 01:10 AM
I have an '89 TriStar. Random thoughts:

1) checkout the mechanicals, have a pro do it
2) the bow retaining strap on the trailer is f'd up, what happened to it?
3) for $7500 you can't get hurt too badly, you might end up selling it in a couple of years for $6500
4) your kids are small enough that it won't be too crowded, but it'll be tight. There's not much storage
5) When I bought mine it needed all new trailer lights, new tires, new wiring
6) if those rub marks on the starboard side are so easy to rub out, why doesn't the owner do it?
7) test drive, test drive, test drive
8) it's all glass, no wood to rot
9) it's 21 years old, expect to do some fixing

wheelerd
05-04-2011, 02:55 AM
I had a 91 Tstar and enjoyed it. We have two young kids.

Your potential boat looks like a good deal for 7500. The TriStar is probably the most affordable way to get into a MC and enjoy MasterCraft style and quality and Indmar reliability.

Ditto to MissRita's comments. Also, the tires are not trailer tires. Check that if you're planning to tow long distances.

Remember,
Cosmetic stuff can be repaired or replaced and is easier to see.
Structural or mechanical stuff is more costly and harder to detect.
Take your time and check it out thoroughly.
Good luck.

tph
05-04-2011, 03:44 AM
Is that a replacement engine or did MC offer GM powerplants in '89?

chawk610
05-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I love it... "looks" like a fair deal. But definatley heed Miss Rita's advice!!! Especially #9 :) (speaking from experience with '83MC)

bturner2
05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Ditto on all the comments above. I had a 89 TirStar and loved the boat. As this boat has a very low free board you'll need to keep a close eye on the little ones. Based on the price, the pictures (and pictures can be very deceiving) and the stated price this looks like a very reasonable deal.

When you go look at it add up the cost of all the items that you'll need to repair/replace to get the boat were you want it to understand you real cost for the boat. Two things for sure will be the bow stop and tires on the trailer. I always plan on at least another $500 - $1000 in expenses to get the boat where I want it. That doesn't mean you have to do them immediately but that expense will still be there.

kyfooter
05-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Depending on where you plan to boat, it could be great for the family or a regret. If you plan to boat on a weekend, with rather choppy water, I don't think you'll be happy. The hull on this boat is rounded up front, and flat for the rear 75%. This boat will not "cut" through any waves...it takes a beating. It also plows at slower speeds...meaning if you turn at a slower speed, it's like driving a bulldozer.

On the other hand, if you plan to use the boat on relatively calm water, it's a great choice for an intro boat on a budget. Has a respectable wake, and is good enough for wally skiing.

The bow will be good for kids only. It's extremely small with no storage in the boat. Tandem axle looks cool, but is unnecessary...double the cost to replace tires, bearings, etc.

I would recommend the 205 over the Tristar...but I understand the budget issues and if you know what you're getting, best of luck.

CantRepeat
05-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Looks like the already put the newer updated carb on it too.

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I have an '89 TriStar. Random thoughts:

1) checkout the mechanicals, have a pro do it
2) the bow retaining strap on the trailer is f'd up, what happened to it?
3) for $7500 you can't get hurt too badly, you might end up selling it in a couple of years for $6500
4) your kids are small enough that it won't be too crowded, but it'll be tight. There's not much storage
5) When I bought mine it needed all new trailer lights, new tires, new wiring
6) if those rub marks on the starboard side are so easy to rub out, why doesn't the owner do it?
7) test drive, test drive, test drive
8) it's all glass, no wood to rot
9) it's 21 years old, expect to do some fixing

2) bow retaining strap? what is that? i dont know what to look for.

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Is that a replacement engine or did MC offer GM powerplants in '89?

Corey at my local MC dealer said that the GM engine was an option in 89. Rare, but an option.

PocketThunder
05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Depending on where you plan to boat, it could be great for the family or a regret. If you plan to boat on a weekend, with rather choppy water, I don't think you'll be happy. The hull on this boat is rounded up front, and flat for the rear 75%. This boat will not "cut" through any waves...it takes a beating. It also plows at slower speeds...meaning if you turn at a slower speed, it's like driving a bulldozer.

On the other hand, if you plan to use the boat on relatively calm water, it's a great choice for an intro boat on a budget. Has a respectable wake, and is good enough for wally skiing.

The bow will be good for kids only. It's extremely small with no storage in the boat. Tandem axle looks cool, but is unnecessary...double the cost to replace tires, bearings, etc.

I would recommend the 205 over the Tristar...but I understand the budget issues and if you know what you're getting, best of luck.

It will get used on a relatively calm lake on the weekend at the inlaws cabin up in Northern Wisconsin, so that means about 6 weekends in the summer we are going 200 miles one way with it. New "trailer" tires would be a must. I agree.

Otherwise it will get used on rough choppy Lake Minnetonka probably once, then we wont go on that lake on the weekend ever again. So yes, what we "want" is the Prostar 205, what we "need" is just a nice starter boat to get us on the water.

Paul

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
It will get used on a relatively calm lake on the weekend at the inlaws cabin up in Northern Wisconsin, so that means about 6 weekends in the summer we are going 200 miles one way with it. New "trailer" tires would be a must. I agree.

Otherwise it will get used on rough choppy Lake Minnetonka probably once, then we wont go on that lake on the weekend ever again. So yes, what we "want" is the Prostar 205, what we "need" is just a nice starter boat to get us on the water.

Paul

You will be just fine with that boat on almost any of the Northern Wisconsin lakes. My '77 has been in a few of them. Minnetonka would be for a calm day and a healthy respect for the other boats around you. As you know, there are a ton of lakes around here that you can hit and be plenty happy.

Doesn't look like too bad a deal and a great way to get into the MC world.

Miss Rita
05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
bow retaining strap? what is that? i dont know what to look for.

The second pic down on the right shows a piece of steel at the bow that has an "s"-shaped curve, it's supposed to be straight. Ask the owner to explain, I'm sure there's a story. In the video it's straight.

Ask the owner to give you a demo on how to load the boat, it's a little bit tricky.

I hate my retention strap, and will be replacing it soon with a conventional bow stop and winch.

PM me if you'd like.

etduc
05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Retaining strap holds the boat, to the trailer. Do not rely on winch strap, to hold front of boat, to trailer. There should be some form of mechanical attachment. (Retaining strap, trailer buddy,etc.) When trailering, strap the back of the boat, to the trailer. Many people don't, but in an emergency, it makes a difference in towing characteristics. (Father-n-law lost a Glaston that way, years ago.)

Cosmetics, Lowe's has the exact marine carpet. In the Tristar, the carpet can be installed in sections. Took me 3 hours (front seat-to the stern),plus 4 stitches in the thumb. Otherwise, piece of cake.

Swim platform, glue rubber swim platform mat, to it. Some will use industrial gasket material.
UV resistant material is available, thru various marine outlets.

Be sure to buy a good spare tire, UV does it's damage, get a cover for it. (It's not just for vanity.) My spare de-laminated, last year. (It had never, been on the ground. However, it was 10 years old.)

Not a bad boat, for your use. I paid, about the same for a POS Tristar. But it did well, in calm conditions, good 1st inboard. You will have to learn to drive it. People in the bow, will get wet, if you're not careful.

JohnE
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
It's a good boat. Small interior but fine for 2 adults and 3 small kids. I had an '88 back in '06. If you had a budget to buy a 205, I'd suggest you do so, but a tristar in decent shape is worth $7500 all day long. Likely easy to sell when you do decide to upgrade for that kind of money.

trguy
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey! For a 22 year old rig, that looks like a very nice well kept boat. I have an '88 myself and like it a lot. Would prefer a boat that handles choppy water better and offered more bow space, but theTristar 190 provides some nice times - particularly for the price.

Regarding setting aside money for additional expenses, that's absolutely right. I spent $5500 for mine last year in considerablly rougher shape and spent easily another $5000 just to get it right.

Will I ever get that money back? Heck no, but its recreation.

Lars
05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
You're in Minnetonka eh? We're over in chan and there are several lakes around that would be better than tonka for you. I saw that boat on craigslist, I hope someone on here can grab it!

cmw
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a 90 Maristar w/Indmar 454. Same story as trguy(money spent). Ours drinks the gas, has a hard time in chop and numerous other things, but we love the boat. If I sold the boat today, I might loose a couple thousand dollars. I have had more than a few thousand dollars of fun with it. Tried to talk the wife into a newer Mastercraft, but we spent the money on a travel trailer, so we can spend more time at the lake. The boat you are looking at looks much nicer than mine when I bought it. Good luck, whatever your decision might be.

pkskier
05-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I have an '87, basically raised our daughter and numerous friends in it with no problems. Yes there were times I would of like to have had more interior and storage space, but we always made do and had a great time. It has been a great boat over the years. BTW I am closing in on 1,600 hrs, if I remember from this weekend I am at 1,582 or 1,583 with no major problems.

Matt L.
05-05-2011, 01:02 AM
We had that exact same boat some years back. Was awesome.

We sold it and replaced it with an X-30 and 240SC because we felt the side rails were too low and the kids could go over the side too easily.

If you get it be sure to get a foam padded pylon cover. My oldest was sitting on the bow floor and decided to stand up just as I hit the throttle to pull my brother in law up. Sounds just like an aluminum base ball bat when a toddler smacks his melon into it. Had to wake him up every 2 hours all night. That stunk. 13 now and only seems a little brain damaged. I think thats mostly just him being 13;)

Good luck!

Matt

Hoosier Bob
05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Tristars Rule! Love those rides and that one looks very cool. Fun boats for sure.