PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the water out of here???

rjracin240
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Have a 1988 PS 190, hoping to get some suggestions on how to get the water out from the void under the bilge pump. There are several screw holes from the old bilge pump and also a couple holes just in front of where the bilge pump goes. Through these screw holes you can see water sloshing around. Any suggestions on how to get the water out??? 66201

Red spots mark the locations of holes on second picture

ProStar Slalom
05-04-2011, 02:45 AM
I didn't realize there was a void between the bilge and the hull. Hmm...all I can think of is maybe a small straw/tube with some suction. You'll definitely want to seal those holes real good with the new bilge pump install.

BNIROOSTER
05-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Try using an oil pump like the ones that use 1/4 inch tubing to pump oil from the dipstick tube.

rjracin240
05-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Try using an oil pump like the ones that use 1/4 inch tubing to pump oil from the dipstick tube.

Agree that sticking a small tube down there and hooking up to a pump or vacuum cleaner will be the way to get the water out....but it looks like I would have to drill a small hole (3/8-3/4") to stick a tube of a decent diameter into the hole to evacuate this water. Any suggestions on how to seal this afterward??? My thoughts were to use a automotive style plug like used in the floor pans with some caulk around it.
Just trying to tap the wealth of knwoledge from the forum before I try and reinvent the wheel and drill a hole in my bilge :confused:

Barefooter92
05-04-2011, 07:39 AM
I would use marine epoxy to seal the hole after your done removing the water.

My question is why there is a false floor in the bilge area?

rjracin240
05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
just bumping to get the lunch crowd input!!!

Went back to some sales brochures and guess under the floor area there should be foam, definitely under the bilge pump area there is a void space about 5" in depth.

Miss Rita
05-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Try a shop vac, see how much it will suck out before sealing the holes

mayo93prostar
05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
wet/dry shop vac

JLeuck64
05-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but once water enters a void like you are describing, the only way I know of to remove it is by replacing the floor.

FrankSchwab
05-05-2011, 02:12 AM
I think you'll find that you can suck out the water that's there...and more will leak out of the foam..which you can suck out...and more will leak out...etc.

Drill a larger hole, and suck out what's there. If water comes back, then you have a problem. If it stays dry, you're good to go. Seal the hole with epoxy, or a short Stainless Steel bolt with epoxy or 5200 sealant under the head, and you're done.

I'm an inveterate tinkerer, so if the water came back I would find a small pump (say, a windshield washer pump), some 1/4" plastic tubing, and a sophisticated timer. 10 seconds on, 10 minutes off, and let it run a few days until no more water shows up. Change the timer to 10 seconds on, 60 minutes off, and run again. Repeat until you're satisfied you've gotten all you're going to get, then seal it up. Sounds like a winter project to me.

/frank

BNIROOSTER
05-05-2011, 04:55 AM
Agree that sticking a small tube down there and hooking up to a pump or vacuum cleaner will be the way to get the water out....but it looks like I would have to drill a small hole (3/8-3/4") to stick a tube of a decent diameter into the hole to evacuate this water. Any suggestions on how to seal this afterward??? My thoughts were to use a automotive style plug like used in the floor pans with some caulk around it.
Just trying to tap the wealth of knwoledge from the forum before I try and reinvent the wheel and drill a hole in my bilge :confused:

You can get a pump with a 1/4" tube at west marine for $19 or so. Schwab has a great idea also.