PDA

View Full Version : Infinity

Mr. Bill
07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
OK... I KNOW this must have come up a million times BUT....

Has anyone owned, drove, skiied or whatever in a Infinity? I remember when they first came out I was like "No way... He's back!" but then everything kinda fizzled. Any scoops?

6ballsisall
07-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't remember the whole gig between those. I know a very succesful business man who was a dealer of Infinity boats and quite the slalom skier and he had a ZX1. It skied ok, tracked really well but the wake was nasty hard as the rope got shorter. From what I was told by this individual he was worried about the stability of Infinity and wasnt sure if they would pull thru. Last I heard this individual got rid of his Infinity and is back in a Mastercraft or a Correct Craft (I can't remember)

bigmac
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't remember the whole gig between those. I know a very succesful business man who was a dealer of Infinity boats and quite the slalom skier and he had a ZX1. It skied ok, tracked really well but the wake was nasty hard as the rope got shorter. From what I was told by this individual he was worried about the stability of Infinity and wasnt sure if they would pull thru. Last I heard this individual got rid of his Infinity and is back in a Mastercraft or a Correct Craft (I can't remember)

My next door neighbor has had several MasterCrafts over the last 30 years, but for some reason they bought an Infinity at the beginning of last year. They were always telling me how much the loved it, but I note that they sold it at the beginning of this year, and with their kids out of the nest, they're looking pretty hard at my 230 VRS.

rodltg2
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
ive never seen one on the water but saw one at a boat show, man are they ugly! imsure they ski great though but no market for it.

6ballsisall
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Boattrader has a few listed

Heres one

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/2/80086032.htm

T Scott
07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I took one in on trade a few years back. I must say, the interior was extremely roomy. The boat had a great hole shot and decent slalom wakes. I noticed a massive rooster at 22 off but 28 and shorter was much better.
Overall nice boat with a lot of clever features. However, they do not hold their value whatsoever and will be near impossible to find parts for them.

USC8791
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Only complaints that I've heard are that they are uncomfortable and noisy. Mixed reviews on wake.

rmc1
07-20-2005, 10:25 PM
the infinity boat company was started by rob shirley the same person who started mastercraft, chris lapoint, and gary mahlar a senior driver from florida. while it is true some of the first boats were hard to ski behind they did improve as the season went on.when it came out it was very roomy which some of the other boats copied. it was around for a few years, why I don't know, if they could have stayed in business knowing them I do believe that they could have produced a good boat to ski behind

Mr. Bill
07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I knew the history about Rob, MC and Infinity I just never had the chance to ride in or ski behind one. I have no plans on buying one... Just thought since this is a MC board someone might know how o'l Rob is doing these days. Is Infinity still in business or out of the game?

6ballsisall
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I thought they had already gone out of business but I did see some new 2004's still for sale. I know his production of boats in 2004 was less than 50 total. Who knows what 2005 held for him

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Basically, a slalom specific boat. I remember reading something about a reverse v-drive. Just not enough market for slalom any more to compete.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Any connection with the car company?

peason
07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
http://4waterski.com/Assets/MultiMedia/INFINITYARTICLE.pdf

Here is an old artilce I found but the website for Infinity Ski boats no longer exists.

Mr. Bill
07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Just found out that he is designing boats for Custom Dive Boats Inc. - Big boys... 40 footers and what-not. Hey, at least he is still doing what he loves!

T Scott
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM

None whatsoever......

Doug,
The infinity does have a reverse V-Drive. Basically, they put the motor in backwards and used a v-drive tranny. I understand that their hull design needed the prop to be a foot or two closer to the front, so this is the way they did it. I did not notice the boat to be noisy.

Tom

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 10:41 AM

No, Toyota is the only Japanese car company I've ever known to produce a straight drive inboard. I don't believe Nissan followed that lead.

Mr. Bill
07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
I forgot about the Toyota ski boats! They still doing it? I have heard horror stories about getting them serviced. I have never seen or met someone who has seen one of those anywhere on a lake. Found out from a friend who knows a guy who knows a guy... etc... etc...

phecksel
07-21-2005, 11:26 AM
I forgot about the Toyota ski boats! They still doing it? I have heard horror stories about getting them serviced. I have never seen or met someone who has seen one of those anywhere on a lake. Found out from a friend who knows a guy who knows a guy... etc... etc...
Neighbor has one. He's a recreational skier. He loves the boat, but one of our club members said it had a substantial wake.

Datdude
07-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I thought I remember hearing/reading Epic (Toyota) having problems with their molds/hulls. I believe they have stopped making them as there was a dealer near my house and they have not had a boat there in about 2-3 years. Speaking of boats not made anymore, how about the Ski Ray Spitfire closed bow?

Evan Jones
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
What is the difference between a reverse V-drive and a regular V-drive?

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Engine placement I suppose. Not sure how it is "reversed," but in the infinity, the engine was in the middle.

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I thought I remember hearing/reading Epic (Toyota) having problems with their molds/hulls. I believe they have stopped making them as there was a dealer near my house and they have not had a boat there in about 2-3 years. Speaking of boats not made anymore, how about the Ski Ray Spitfire closed bow?

Toyota isn't making them anymore. My uncle has a Ski Ray open bow. Nifty boat, but the wake has a heck of a rooster tail.

smsunman1
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Engine placement I suppose. Not sure how it is "reversed," but in the infinity, the engine was in the middle.
Didn't the thing have the output shaft facing foward with a v drive transfer case so they could get the propeller in the center of the boat. This would make the boat plane out in a more shallow angle.

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 03:05 PM
The point was to get the prop further forward. Make sense to me.

rodltg2
07-21-2005, 03:13 PM
what about elan/american skier. anyone seen or skied one. i heard they were really good for skiing.

Mr. Bill
07-22-2005, 02:20 PM
what about elan/american skier. anyone seen or skied one. i heard they were really good for skiing.
We used to have quite a few on our lake back in the day... They have changed a great deal since then. better boats back then... Pretty smooth to ski behind.

Mr. Bill
07-22-2005, 02:20 PM
haven't skied behind anything new(er).

CoFooter
07-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Skied behind a 2004 Infinity last year. Actually has a pretty good slalom and barefoot wake. No big stern roller when starting out either because of the engine placement. Quick too. I understand that they went out of business (last boats in 2004) and we're trying to work some type of a deal to have Svfara (a Canadian company) build their slalom boat (they had a traditional V-Drive wakeboard boat, too.)

Smitty
07-22-2005, 05:58 PM
The last that I heard about Elan/American Skier was that Ben Favret is still running the company. However, I think that they only produce about a dozen or so boats a year. They put out an Eagle Air wakeboard boat, which is basically a v-drive version of the volante. They haven't had a new hull design in over 10 years. My cousin use to own the business but gave up after in went bankrupt and sold it to Ben. Great ski boat. Awesome hole shot and tracks on rails. Poor styling and no marketability. I would be willing to put it up against any other competition ski boat for just performance and skiability.

rodltg2
07-22-2005, 06:29 PM
i called them to ask questions but they dont seem very interested in selling one. im not to interested in anyway but i was curious about it.

H20skeefreek
07-22-2005, 11:11 PM
If anyone is interested, the south mid atlantic district of West Marine is actually a dealer for Elan boats. We have an Eagle Air in stock at our Gainsville, GA store. If anyone want's to take a look email me.....it's a really nice boat. full ballast system, Boss tower, v-drive, open bow, and an Ipod hooked to the sound system. I think it might have perfect pass, but I'm not sure. it's 45K.

6ballsisall
07-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Skied behind a 2004 Infinity last year. Actually has a pretty good slalom and barefoot wake. No big stern roller when starting out either because of the engine placement. Quick too. I understand that they went out of business (last boats in 2004) and we're trying to work some type of a deal to have Svfara (a Canadian company) build their slalom boat (they had a traditional V-Drive wakeboard boat, too.)

I am guessing that Infinity was bought at Shortline Auto Group? They/he is the only dealer I know of in Colorado for Infinity.

Brent
07-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Infinity is a V -drive , the prop is about a 1 ft1/2 furthur forward then traditional ski boats (which makes handling amazing) ! The gas tank is under the floor. Everything about the ZX-1 was about slalom. It would be great if Mastercraft did a bare bones slalom boat in that vain (that is thier roots)!

CoFooter
07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey, JRandol, actually skiied behind Shortline's owners boat.

6ballsisall
07-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey, JRandol, actually skiied behind Shortline's owners boat.

Good stuff!! Nice guy, I know him fairly well. He's done very well for himself.

smsunman1
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Maybe, dr Micheals could get to 44off with his current set up and this boat.

6ballsisall
07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Maybe, dr Micheals could get to 44off with his current set up and this boat.

Not sure how an Infinity would make a ski set easier?? :confused: Its AWSA approved

smsunman1
07-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I forgot it comes with a pivoting pylon.

rodltg2
12-14-2005, 03:48 PM
i saw this pic on the nicholls site. its the new svfara one, basically the old infinity. it looks pretty cool. hurry and look at it before the man deletes it.then again maybe he wont , since it is designed by Rob Shirley.

Diesel
12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
i saw this pic on the nicholls site. its the new svfara one, basically the old infinity. it looks pretty cool. hurry and look at it before the man deletes it.then again maybe he wont , since it is designed by Rob Shirley.

Is it a V drive??

east tx skier
12-14-2005, 04:01 PM
From what I've read (which is probably the same as what Rod read), it's the same boat. So yeah, I think it's a vdrive.

Diesel
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
From what I've read (which is probably the same as what Rod read), it's the same boat. So yeah, I think it's a vdrive.

That explains it..

The shape of the motor box is what I noticed first, which definitely leads one to believe they kept the v-drive configuration.

east tx skier
12-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Diesel, although I am by no means endorsing a competing brand on this site, from further research, I can confirm that it is a mid engine vdrive as was the Infinity.

BrianM
12-14-2005, 05:44 PM
From what I have read so far it is the exact same boat with different graphics, better build quality and a new name. Yes, still a V-drive.

quincyfirefighter
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
where's the pic!!

VTJC
12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Press Release from SVFARA: http://www.svfara.com/press-releases/2005/PR_July%2018_2005.pdf

Model Gallery: http://www.svfara.com/showroom-main.asp#

Lets hope the boats are better than their website!

I ski with two guys that each have Infinity's they both love them. Lots of room in the 21' closed bow.

Jamie
http://www.svfara.com/images/showroom-main-2-boats.jpg

east tx skier
12-15-2005, 10:48 AM
where's the pic!!

It was either deleted or Rod deleted it. It's no secret that MasterCraft does not allow us to post pictures of other manufacturers boats on the board that it pays to maintain. Yet, right, wrong, or otherwise, we persist (that's the royal we) because we are willful little children.

ski_king
12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I am gllad to see like MasterCraft, another one of Rob Shirleys designs live on.

Diesel
12-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I am gllad to see like MasterCraft, another one of Rob Shirleys designs live on.

It's a shame Rob Shirley's design cannot "live on" a MC forum. Ironic isn't it!!

Anyone been asked to drink the Kool-Aid yet?? :D

rodltg2
12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
where's the pic!!

i didnt delete it, but thats why i stated to hurry and look at it because i thought that may happen. it is a rob shirly boat however so i also thought it may stand a chance.

rodltg2
12-15-2005, 01:27 PM
bsedies the infinity svfara model , the other kind of look lke malibus. dd they splash or buy their hulls?

madcityskier
07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Got out on an infinity for the first time today. Compared to my stars and stripes roomy quiet powerfull and no spay to speak of. At trick speed wakes were smaller and table was perfectly flat. Steering was a little clnky, that could be maintenance. Performance was on par with little brother's stars and stripes 190 as were other aspects aside from space. Rooster tail seemed smaller, but as I never got past 15' it didn't come into play. Nice boat overall.