PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Housing Drip?

X2M
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Everyone!

After summerizing the boat today we noticed a steady drip coming from the backside of the Impeller Housing. It is dripping from the shaft off of the fly wheel that drives the impeller. Anyone know what could be causing this drip and is this something we need to worry about.
Boat is an '05 X2 with the MCX and we change out the impeller every year.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

GT500 MC
05-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone!

After summerizing the boat today we noticed a steady drip coming from the backside of the Impeller Housing. It is dripping from the shaft off of the fly wheel that drives the impeller. Anyone know what could be causing this drip and is this something we need to worry about.
Boat is an '05 X2 with the MCX and we change out the impeller every year.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Sounds like you need a doctor....

sorry, you lobbed a softball on that one...

JLeuck64
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Replacing the raw water pump is the easiest solution, not the least expensive but the easiest. The pump seal is leaking for the drive shaft that couples to the engine crankshaft.

X2M
05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Replacing the raw water pump is the easiest solution, not the least expensive but the easiest. The pump seal is leaking for the drive shaft that couples to the engine crankshaft.

Thank you JLeuck64. :)

Thought that may be the problem.

JLeuck64
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Your welcome Tink! ( ;

macattack
05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
There are lots of threads on this one...many folks replace the rear seal (~$15) vs the whole RWP. I just replaced my rear seal; it took about 30-45 minutes. Depending on how fast the drip is, it could be normal...

Indmar site under FAQ (http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html) a couple drips per 5-10 seconds is OK.

"7.4 There is a small amount of water dripping from the water-circulating pump on the front of my engine. Is this normal?

Yes, it is not unusual for a small amount of water to drip from the weep hole on the underside of the water-circulating pump. The seal in this pump is cooled and lubricated with water so a small amount of water leaking from the pump is possible. Leak rates of a drop of two every 5-10 seconds is not excessive. Leak rates higher than that or a steady stream of water indicated that the seal has been damaged and the pump should be replaced with a new or remanufactured marine circulating pump.

If you run your boat in extremely shallow water or run it aground, it is possible to draw sand or other debris into the engine, which could damage the circulating pump as well as the seawater pump."

X2M
05-04-2011, 12:29 AM
There are lots of threads on this one...many folks replace the rear seal (~$15) vs the whole RWP. I just replaced my rear seal; it took about 30-45 minutes. Depending on how fast the drip is, it could be normal...

Indmar site under FAQ (http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html) a couple drips per 5-10 seconds is OK.

"7.4 There is a small amount of water dripping from the water-circulating pump on the front of my engine. Is this normal?

Yes, it is not unusual for a small amount of water to drip from the weep hole on the underside of the water-circulating pump. The seal in this pump is cooled and lubricated with water so a small amount of water leaking from the pump is possible. Leak rates of a drop of two every 5-10 seconds is not excessive. Leak rates higher than that or a steady stream of water indicated that the seal has been damaged and the pump should be replaced with a new or remanufactured marine circulating pump.

If you run your boat in extremely shallow water or run it aground, it is possible to draw sand or other debris into the engine, which could damage the circulating pump as well as the seawater pump."

Great info macattack! Thanks!

I did a couple of searches before I posted the thread but couldn't find what I was looking for. Last year we were on a private lake that was quite shallow with a very sandy bottom... so that last part makes sense. The drip is more than 1 or 2 drops every 5-10 seconds. Probably double.

Did you purchase the seal online or through a dealer?

Thrall
05-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Got the seal thru Skidim for my 190. Pretty easy fix, like puting a seal in a trailer wheel hub except not greasy.

macattack
05-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Great info macattack! Thanks!

Did you purchase the seal online or through a dealer?

Bought the seal through our MC dealer...$15.92 last year...mac

Jeff d
05-04-2011, 09:18 AM
That drop per 5 seconds is for the water circulating pump (Belt driven near the top of the engine), not the raw water pump (Shaft driven at the bottom, the one with the rubber impeller). I don't think there should be any dripping from the raw water pump.

jwroblew
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
If you catch the problem early enough, bearings should still be good. I just rebuilt 4 of the raw water pumps for a friend of mine. The seals were still actually good on 3 of them just the spring that presses the seal against the shaft was broken. If it is the spring you should be able to replace it. The spring cost about $1, and you don't need to take the whole pump a part to do it.