PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a replacement crossover boat

soho_mc
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Due to some unfortunate events we need to replace our 205v with something before summer. We would like to get back into a v-drive, with the crossover abilities of the 205v hull. Do you guys have any opinions about the ski wakes of the current model of x-2 or the x-15? Or opinions about the boarding wake of the direct drive x-series boats (x-7, x-9)? We are not extreme skiers or wakeboarders but would like to be able to enjoy all the different sports on the water.

06x2
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
The x2 has great ski Wakeboard and surf wakes best all-round boat of the x boats that I've been behind depending on where and how much wieght is I'm the boat andbat what speed the wake changed alot at 10 huge surf wake at 20 crisp ramps and anything over 30 is very flat. I would definitely add an x2 to your test drive list. I might be a tad byest because I own one but try it out I do believe you will agree

Thrall
05-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Well all of them will let you enjoy either sports. The X2 (new style) and 15 are generally going to run you more than an X7 or X9 becuase they're bigger (seat more people) and you can find older models of the 197 and 209.
My X2 is bearable for skiing (slalom) over 30mph, but I'm not a very good skiier and mostly board and surf anyway. X15 I've heard is similar.
The DD boats will both throw a crisp wake, enough to do inverts off of with some weight.
Of course the prev owners son of my old 190 could do a bunch of flips off of that with a nearly empty boat!
Boils down to what you have to spend and what you like.
Also the new X2s and X15s are not going to be as quick out of the hole or handle as well as you 205v or any of the DD's. I missed the handling and snort of my LT1 190 for a while, but the X2 blows it away for what I use it for.
X14s and X14 V's are considered true crossovers, moreso the V, but you won't really find any of them for under 40k, like the X2 and X15.

mccobmd
05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
It's the same hull as the 205V but I ended up with the X1 over the X2 (both 2006) because the ski wake is better and 1/2 of my bunch ski. If they had the x14V in 2006 that's probably what I would be in right now but paid for is worth a lot.

GT500 MC
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I have the x14v (2010) and it was purchased due to it's crossover ability. Wife, myself, b-in-law all ski (amateurs at best) and the wake, or lack thereof, is more than adequate for us. Kids and myself board and with stock ballast it has great ramp and lip, plenty big enough for any tricks we try. Have not tried surfing yet--have been told we may need to add some weight but we'll know more on that this summer. It does everything pretty well, give it a grade of B or B+ on all functions, but nothing A+. Thus, crossover...Love the versatility. I don't hang out with a lot of pro's so haven't heard any complaining.
I looked at the x2's, even though smaller boat it seemed to have a bit more room. Great board/surf boat, lacking a bit on the ski-wake front. Though as Thrall pointed out, they've been out longer so you can pick them up a bit cheaper. Haven't seen a used x14v less than 58k.
x15 same as x2--great wake/surf boat, bigger, not great ski wake.
Quite frankly, all three of the boats mentioned are great multi-purpose boats. We just tend to get a bit nit-picky.

Age Fighter
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I have an X-14 DD and it is a very good cross over boat. Having said that, from what I hear about the X-14v (with wake plate) it is an even better cross over boat.

I looked at an X-2 but did not like the slalom wakes at all but it's incredibly roomy for a boat that size. Had an X-9 and the X-14 DD is better for slalom and not quite as good for surf/board.

soho_mc
05-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. Like I said we are not extreme in either direction as far as skiing vs. wakeboarding. We free ski mostly just cutting hard with only a few runs through the course a year and the wakeboarders are up and coming so an x-star sized wake is not needed (or wanted) either. So at this point the smaller v-drives are appealing because of their seating arrangemnet mostly and their versatility that we have grown accustomed to. That being said the boat is not going to be a troop transport carrying the whole crew all over the lake, we have other boats for that. Did MC ever make the 209 in a v-drive model?

Age Fighter
05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. Like I said we are not extreme in either direction as far as skiing vs. wakeboarding. We free ski mostly just cutting hard with only a few runs through the course a year and the wakeboarders are up and coming so an x-star sized wake is not needed (or wanted) either. So at this point the smaller v-drives are appealing because of their seating arrangemnet mostly and their versatility that we have grown accustomed to. That being said the boat is not going to be a troop transport carrying the whole crew all over the lake, we have other boats for that. Did MC ever make the 209 in a v-drive model?

The 209 morphed into the 214 / X-14, and yes, they make it in a V Drive and folks who have that particular boat are almost cult like in their love of it.

GT500 MC
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
The 209 morphed into the 214 / X-14, and yes, they make it in a V Drive and folks who have that particular boat are almost cult like in their love of it.

Sad but true....one of the reasons is the unique seating config. as compared to the majority of the x-boats. You either love or hate it.

cf_koch
05-03-2011, 05:54 PM
The best thing to do is go to a dealer and test drive the boats that you are interested in. We did this and found that the Maristar 215 (same hull as X-15) made for a great cross over boat to free ski and wake board behind on lakes that often do not offer smoothest of water conditions. Even heavily loaded our 215 offers a better wake and hole shot than an I/O though not as good as a DD along with plenty of seating and storage for a day on the water.

Age Fighter
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Sad but true....one of the reasons is the unique seating config. as compared to the majority of the x-boats. You either love or hate it.

Yes, and apparently with the V drive, the X-14 is a very good wake and surf boat -- and with the wake plate (plus the v drive engine slightly forward of some v drive boats) a very good slalom boat too -- with plenty of room -- a combination that is doggoned hard to achieve. And they look great as well.

( Almost has me reconsidering my choice of the X-14 DD -- which I love)

wheelerd
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. . . . Did MC ever make the 209 in a v-drive model?

The 214/X-14 DD and VD are different hulls than the 209 though. Most people consider the 214 to be superior in most respects to the 209.

JohnE
05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
The 209 was never offered in a V-Drive. The 214/ X14 DD replaced the 209/ X9. Aside from being large DD ski boats, there are few similarities. A little misleading to say the 214 morphed from the 209. It really morphed from the 197 as it was designed to have a nearly identical running surface at slalom speeds. As far as the interior layout/ lack of sunpad, I believe it is due to the engine placement....that it is too far back to allow for a back seat and sunpad. And that the placement is where it is to achieve the performance it needed.

Age Fighter
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
The 209 was never offered in a V-Drive. The 214/ X14 DD replaced the 209/ X9. Aside from being large DD ski boats, there are few similarities. A little misleading to say the 214 morphed from the 209. It really morphed from the 197 as it was designed to have a nearly identical running surface at slalom speeds. As far as the interior layout/ lack of sunpad, I believe it is due to the engine placement....that it is too far back to allow for a back seat and sunpad. And that the placement is where it is to achieve the performance it needed.

You're right, so let me clarify: the 214 did morph from the 197 design wise, but it was the next generation of the 209 from a target market standpoint. That's what I meant by morphing.

soho_mc
05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the input on the various models, but it looks like we will be staying with what is familiar. We seem to have found an '06 X-1 that fits our bill.

mccobmd
05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Personally I think it's a great choice (biased because I have one). No ballast timers, outflow on the ballast is up high so you know when they are empty and even though the tower is not as fancy it doesn't need bracing. Would recommend taking out the hard tanks in the rear and putting in 750lb fat sac's. Even if you don't surf it frees up a ton of room. Looking forward to pics.

j4rowell
05-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Personally I think it's a great choice (biased because I have one). No ballast timers, outflow on the ballast is up high so you know when they are empty and even though the tower is not as fancy it doesn't need bracing. Would recommend taking out the hard tanks in the rear and putting in 750lb fat sac's. Even if you don't surf it frees up a ton of room. Looking forward to pics.

I have an 09 x2. Absolutely right about the ballast timers. PIA. I have 700lbs in each locker and it's extremely tight.. So there's two advantages to an x1. No timers and you can fit more weight in the rear.

However my tower is pretty and I have room for two people and a car seat in the bow. I dont have kids, just speculating...