PDA

View Full Version : wiring 3 batteries

jdeml
05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
So just wanted to double check before I start this process. I am repairing the damage from thieves in the near future. Have 3 batteries with a perko and black block (isolator?) in my 04 Xstar. I plan on wiring crank battery to pos 1, and the 2 other deep cycle batteries linked parrallel to pos. 2. Is this correct? I was wondering if linking the deep cycles in parrallel with 2 guage would be ok. I am running 3 amps off the deepcycles and know all those wire guages. Any yeah or nieghs is appreciated. Or better yet diagrams. I see alot on 2 battery setups and this makes sense to me. What do yall think. Thanks

airdrew99
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Just my 2 cents: On my F-250, I have two batteries that are hooked in parallel all the time (they are not isolated by any kind of switch). When one battery dies (not gets low on charge, but dies), it will take out the other battery that is hooked in parallel with it. Ask any diesel truck driver that has two batteries. One of our rules is that the batteries have to be replaced in pairs to help keep this from happening. Like I said, just my 2 cents. I hope this helps.

Drew

jdeml
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Just my 2 cents: On my F-250, I have two batteries that are hooked in parallel all the time (they are not isolated by any kind of switch). When one battery dies (not gets low on charge, but dies), it will take out the other battery that is hooked in parallel with it. Ask any diesel truck driver that has two batteries. One of our rules is that the batteries have to be replaced in pairs to help keep this from happening. Like I said, just my 2 cents. I hope this helps.

Drew

That is correct, that is why im wondering if I hook both deep cycles (stereo) up in parrallel then if I ever did run down my stereo I would always have the switch to flip it to my starting-cranking battery and could make it home. Basically Ill be listening to music alot parked and instead of just one battery I was just gonna link another to make it last longer. Will always charge the deep cycles back at home as the alt wont prolly get that done.

Yellow X9
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
So just wanted to double check before I start this process. I am repairing the damage from thieves in the near future. Have 3 batteries with a perko and black block (isolator?) in my 04 Xstar. I plan on wiring crank battery to pos 1, and the 2 other deep cycle batteries linked parrallel to pos. 2. Is this correct? I was wondering if linking the deep cycles in parrallel with 2 guage would be ok. I am running 3 amps off the deepcycles and know all those wire guages. Any yeah or nieghs is appreciated. Or better yet diagrams. I see alot on 2 battery setups and this makes sense to me. What do yall think. Thanks

I have 3 batteries in mine, and wired just like you describe above, I leave my Perko on the all position all the time with no issues.

jdeml
05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I have 3 batteries in mine, and wired just like you describe above, I leave my Perko on the all position all the time with no issues.

Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. Also what guage did you use to run them in parrallel?

craig3972
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a small blue top and a set of booster cables - works well on other boats without power.

Thrall
05-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. Also what guage did you use to run them in parrallel?

2ga is sufficient.