PDA

View Full Version : no power at ignition

ttu
05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
guys need some help please. 07 x2 with rtp. i went up to the storage a month ago and put the platform back and put the battery back in. battery was fully charged and after installing listened to the stereo and even turned the motor over to make sure everything was good.

well went up 2 weeks ago and pulled a dinged up prop to be repaired. at the time i turned the ignition key to the acces position to listen to the stereo. nothing. turned the key to the forward position and still nothing. ballast, lights, bilge pumps all working. thinking that the battery was dead i put the maintainer back on to recharge.

went back up today to install the prop. checked the battery and it was fully charged and still nothing at the ignition. called my dealer (90 miles away) and asked for advise. he said to check the terminals at the battery. did so and still nothing.

i am only running a single battery. any ideas?

thanks for reading and any advise.:confused::confused:

ttu
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
btw, i did check all the fuses under the dash on the driver's side and nothing was tripped!

vision
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Is the shifter/throttle in neutral?

ttu
05-02-2011, 09:41 PM
yep! there is nothing in either left side acc mode or right start mode. gauges are dead but all flip switches are working!:confused:

ahhudgins
05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Just because the shifter is in neutral doesn't mean the neutral switch is good or your linkage is good. You need to check for 12V on both terminals (measuring from ground) to make sure it is closed. After I had my used boat for a few months I found out that it would start even if my shifter was NOT in neutral. Traced the ignition wire back and found a jumper wire across my neutral safety switch. My throttle linkage had some slop in it and it didn't always go back to exact neutral at the transmissioin. I guess the dealer or the previous owner rigged it.

I would start at the BAT terminal on the ignition switch and trace it back with a volt meter.

ttu
05-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Just because the shifter is in neutral doesn't mean the neutral switch is good or your linkage is good. You need to check for 12V on both terminals (measuring from ground) to make sure it is closed. After I had my used boat for a few months I found out that it would start even if my shifter was NOT in neutral. Traced the ignition wire back and found a jumper wire across my neutral safety switch. My throttle linkage had some slop in it and it didn't always go back to exact neutral at the transmissioin. I guess the dealer or the previous owner rigged it.

I would start at the BAT terminal on the ignition switch and trace it back with a volt meter.

good ideas! thanks.

ttu
05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
sorry for the bump but hoping to get some more advice before i have to take it to the dealer.

thanks again.

JimN
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
yep! there is nothing in either left side acc mode or right start mode. gauges are dead but all flip switches are working!:confused:

If you can't measure 12V through the switch on the accessory, crank and run terminals, the switch is bad as long as the switch wasn't rewired and was wired correctly in the first place.

If you use a jumper wire to connect the Battery wire to Crank, it should crank and if you connect it to the purple wire, the gauges should come to life. The neutral safety switch has nothing to do with any of these but the safety switch at the throttle does. If that switch is bad or was bypassed and the splice is bad, you won't see any life at the gauges or the ignition system.

ttu
05-03-2011, 10:18 AM
jim, thank you.

no modifications have ever been made to the ignition or wiring. like i said it all worked a month ago and now nothing.

JimN
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
jim, thank you.

no modifications have ever been made to the ignition or wiring. like i said it all worked a month ago and now nothing.

He ignition switch needs to be checked first. If the battery lead has no voltage, the reason must be found. It may not have been connected at the battery or starter. It could be the circuit breaker, too. If it stays in but is bad, it won't provide voltage/current to the ignition switch.

ttu
05-03-2011, 10:39 AM
jim, this probably does not help diagnose this problem. there are 4 positive leads and 4 neg to the battery terminal. Also one of the red cables goes thru a small black box that is located on the floor next to the battery. It appears to be a 4 amp fuse of some sort. not really sure if it goes to the amp or the ignition. i followed the cable and it goes thru the floor under the observer seat.

thanks again.

JimN
05-03-2011, 11:29 AM
jim, this probably does not help diagnose this problem. there are 4 positive leads and 4 neg to the battery terminal. Also one of the red cables goes thru a small black box that is located on the floor next to the battery. It appears to be a 4 amp fuse of some sort. not really sure if it goes to the amp or the ignition. i followed the cable and it goes thru the floor under the observer seat.

thanks again.

Post photos of the black box, starter connections and wires going to the battery.

ttu
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
jim, i am going up to the storage up at the lake tomorrow to try to address. thanks

ttu
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
before i head up to the storage this afternoon anymore ideas for me to check for.

cbryan70
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Short day for you at the office today? :-) I would test the ignition switch like has been said.

JimN
05-04-2011, 01:45 PM
before i head up to the storage this afternoon anymore ideas for me to check for.

Do you have a test light or multi-meter? Bring some extra wire and terminals, too.

ttu
05-05-2011, 10:09 AM
well it turned out to be this red button located back by the engine.

thanks jim and everyone else who offered advice. all is good and hope it stays that way!:rolleyes:

JJMorris3
05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Wow. What the heck is that red button?

Table Rocker
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow. What the heck is that red button?Main breaker

ttu
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Main breaker

just really suprised me everything else worked!

table rocker, i will be up at table rock on memorial day weekend.

Table Rocker
05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
just really suprised me everything else worked!

table rocker, i will be up at table rock on memorial day weekend.I'll be there too. Look for a '96 205 SD in the cow creek area.