PDA

View Full Version : Marine amp vs. car amp?

hardycm
07-20-2005, 01:16 PM
I bought a non-marine amp that I want to stick in my '88 PS 190. An electrical engineer friend swears I need to mount this with shock-absorbing material b/c the marine amp components are mounted more rigidly to the circuit board.

Does anyone believe this? IWhat's the consensus on the best place to mount an amp?

RackAtak
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I bought a non-marine amp that I want to stick in my '88 PS 190. An electrical engineer friend swears I need to mount this with shock-absorbing material b/c the marine amp components are mounted more rigidly to the circuit board.

Does anyone believe this? IWhat's the consensus on the best place to mount an amp?
I mounted my "car" amp on the floor under the observers seat on 1/2" nylon spacers to keep it away from moisture and to give it complete air circulation. No problems so far...pics in my gallery.

6ballsisall
07-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I dont claim to be the source for this stuff but the only difference between the two I know of is some increased corrosion protection on the marine one. If I remember, there are quite a few people on here with Car Amps in their boat and haven't heard of any problems as long as they are mounted correctly so the ventilate

wesgardner
07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Just mount it....when corrosion finally gets it, rip it out and replace....cars endure shock as well....

Wes

hardycm
07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
RackAtak,

Aren't you worried about water getting into your amp? I'd think wet bodies sitting on that seat, not to mention the occassional rain shower would do her in?

Regardless, sounds like I'm over thinking this one -- will probably rig a platform and support it up under the dash. Thanks all for the quick input.

RackAtak
07-20-2005, 02:18 PM
The cover on my Sony amp will only allow water to enter from the bottom. If someone gets in the boat wet, they sit on a towel so major drippage isn't a problem. On vacation this year the amp did get soaked and stopped working due to the boat sitting on the trailer through 2 solid days of rain which caused the boat to flood and the 1/2" spacers were not enough to keep the amp out of the water. I took the amp out, removed the top cover and the circuit board and found everything soaked. I took a blow dryer to everything and reinstalled it and it worked fine and continues to work as if it were never wet :D

BriEOD
07-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I put two amps under the seat and heard a lot of cons about it. I've put 45 hours or so thus far since doing it. I've had water over the bow and a week of vacation with 16 people that we put 27 hours on the motor. I haven't had one problem, those puppies have been bone dry. Plus in my boat you can't put a whole lot under that seat anyway because their is only 12" or so of free space so I think it's a great spot. :twocents:

phecksel
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM

Your EE friend probably believes and maybe even bought an isolator pad for his electronic equipment. I don't have the URL available, but the guy actually sells pads to isolate equipment from the planetary harmonics :)

EE friend in the high end audio said the only real difference is sealing, and price. He has all automotive equipment. As long as the equipment is kept out of water and minimize moisture, it's fine.

P