PDA

View Full Version : 1999 LT1 - Trashed?

Locascio
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey all, new here...Why? Because I have been looking for a boat for awhile and found a deall on a 1999 MC with a trashed engine. Yep, the girl that owned it decided not to winterize it. Now it's at a MC dealer having a Jasper Marine longblock installed.

Question is, should I be nervous? The moter is being installed by a Mastercraft dealer, and comes with an 18 month warranty. The price is still below all other 1999's on the market....

What should I be nervous about - oh, the rest of the boat looks great!

Thanks!

JLO.

seth25
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I bought the same type of boat last year. 2000 Maristar 230 with 160 hrs. Original owners, husband and wife divorced, wife got the boat and didn't winterize it. It was in storage in a garage for three years. Block froze and cracked. The wife took it to a reputable dealer here in town on consignment and had a new long block installed. I put 80 hrs on it last year and other than the water pump going out, no issues. The interior and rest of the boat are in great shape. The steering cable was stiff when I bought it, so I put a new cable in it. I was a little skeptical at first, put it coming from a very reputable dealer, the low hours on the rest of the boat, the cosmetic condition, the warranty on the engine, and the reasonable price made it worth it in the end.

Locascio
05-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, it's a Pro Star 190.

Thrall
05-02-2011, 11:17 AM
If it's a qualified mechanic/dealer and a Jasper engine I wouldn't be worried. Engine replacement is more straight forward than major electrical issues IMO. Besides, there's only 2 major mechanical components on the boat. Engine and trans and 1 of them will be brand new.

broncotw
05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
You should be fine with the 18 month warranty and the service being performed at a MasterCraft dealership....

I would feel pretty safe in making this transaction.....

Send us pictures of that 190 PLEASE!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Jasper engines are top of the line. I was a rep for Jasper for years and have a Jasper engine in my truck with over 250,000 miles on it without a problem.

I would also replace the exhaust manifolds. When I got my boat, the engine had been replaced for the same reason, but they used the original exhaust manifolds and it turns out one was also damaged as well.

Locascio
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
You should be fine with the 18 month warranty and the service being performed at a MasterCraft dealership....

I would feel pretty safe in making this transaction.....

Send us pictures of that 190 PLEASE!!!

Havent bought it yet and wont untill the engine is replaced. After that, there will be pics!!

Locascio
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Jasper engines are top of the line. I was a rep for Jasper for years and have a Jasper engine in my truck with over 250,000 miles on it without a problem.

I would also replace the exhaust manifolds. When I got my boat, the engine had been replaced for the same reason, but they used the original exhaust manifolds and it turns out one was also damaged as well.

Can the exhaust manifolds be tested? They said they were going to pressure test the heads, checking the valve seals I guess? I know little about engines. If there is a test, I would like to ensure it takes place!

Jerseydave
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Can the exhaust manifolds be tested? They said they were going to pressure test the heads, checking the valve seals I guess? I know little about engines. If there is a test, I would like to ensure it takes place!

You said they were installing a long block, which comes with new or rebuilt heads on it. Make sure you get it that way.
The manifolds can be pressure tested by a radiator shop, but since they are 12 years old now would be the time to install new ones.

Change your trans fluid, check the trans oil cooler to make sure it's ok too.
The boat sounds like a good one, your going to love the way direct drives handle if you've never had one before. Good luck and welcome!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM

I don't know of a way to test the exhaust manifolds, though a person could make a plate for either end with fitting.

Miss Rita
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Great boat, new engine, good price. What's not to like?

JimN
05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I bought the same type of boat last year. 2000 Maristar 230 with 160 hrs. Original owners, husband and wife divorced, wife got the boat and didn't winterize it. It was in storage in a garage for three years. Block froze and cracked. The wife took it to a reputable dealer here in town on consignment and had a new long block installed. I put 80 hrs on it last year and other than the water pump going out, no issues. The interior and rest of the boat are in great shape. The steering cable was stiff when I bought it, so I put a new cable in it. I was a little skeptical at first, put it coming from a very reputable dealer, the low hours on the rest of the boat, the cosmetic condition, the warranty on the engine, and the reasonable price made it worth it in the end.

As long as the water circulation pump is replaced with the correct one for an LT-1 (if that's the pump you were referring to), it should be OK. The block and/or heads will have a series of numbers in the casting and as long as they were given to Jasper, you should have the right engine.

Jim@BAWS
05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
You better get it ALL in writing. The block maybe warrantied from JASPER. But probably not the labor or the parts that are transferred from the old block...You better check

Jim@BAWS

Locascio
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
You better get it ALL in writing. The block maybe warrantied from JASPER. But probably not the labor or the parts that are transferred from the old block...You better check

Jim@BAWS

Yeah, The installation comes with a 60 day warranty (from the MC Dealer) but existing parts are not warrantied as far as I know.

Locascio
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
You said they were installing a long block, which comes with new or rebuilt heads on it. Make sure you get it that way.
The manifolds can be pressure tested by a radiator shop, but since they are 12 years old now would be the time to install new ones.

Change your trans fluid, check the trans oil cooler to make sure it's ok too.
The boat sounds like a good one, your going to love the way direct drives handle if you've never had one before. Good luck and welcome!

Why would the manifolds go bad over time. The boat only has 330 hours on it. Seems like minimal use?

Also, What transmission came in these during this time. I have heard power slot, direct drive, V drive etc...can anyone explain these to me...pros and cons?? (been searching the forums for info)...Thanks!

TX Wind
05-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Yes, the exhaust mans can be tested. All you do is put a plug in one end and an air fitting on the other(we are talking water side here). If you see or hear air coming out the exhaust ports, they are cracked. If the boat wasn't winterized, chances are they are trashed.

If it were me, I wouldn't let ANY reman. place touch my engine. For the price they usually charge, you can do sooooo much more yourself. That's of course if you don't mind doing the engine work. I wonder what she would let the boat go for as is. You might be surprised at how much money you could save and how easy it is to replace that LT-1. It literally takes about 30 minutes to pluck one of those babies out with basic hand tools.

TX Wind
05-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Would I be worried about the reman engine? NO. I just think you could save some coin and get a better job. If it's below market value, and you like it, then get it. The reman engine isn't likely to give up the farm, MC will do the marine work right, and you almost never lose money on a used inboard ski boat if you buy below the normal market. Example, we pd $4500 for our 85 S&S 12 years ago. Think I'd let it go for that now? NOT!

Locascio
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Bump...can anyone answer the transmission questions I had......

Also, What transmission came in these during this time. I have heard power slot, direct drive, V drive etc...can anyone explain these to me...pros and cons?? (been searching the forums for info)...

Thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
A Pro Star 190 is a direct drive boat with the engine is in the middle of the boat. An X-Star is an example of a V-drive boat where the engine is in the back of the boat.

Your boat was available with and without the power slot option. Look at the plate on your transmission. It will tell you the transmission ratio. The power slot came with a 1:52 ratio where the non power slot had a 1:1 ratio.

The power slot trans gives more power out of the hole. The non power slot version will have a little more top end and perhaps some better fuel economy.

Locascio
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Ok thanks, the boat tops out at about 42, does this give a clue as to what trans it might have? Also, which is better or is it a preference thing?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Either trans is built like a tank. It is strictly personal preference and how you use your boat. 42 mph is no clue. You might check the accuracy of the speed with a hand held GPS. Good to calibrate your speedometers from time to time.