PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Drain Plug

aggies0025
05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
My Drain pug is stuck! When I had my boat winterized I guess the shop over tightened the drain plug in the boat. I have tried to get it loose by tapping with a hammer then getting a wrench on it but its NOT moving. I used a fly by night guy to winterize it and he is now nowhere to be found or else id take it back to him. Has anyone had this problem before???

Thrall
05-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Never had this problem, it's probably cross threaded.
Since the plug (and the socket) are brass they are relatively soft. I think your 1st option would be put a bfw (big effing wrench) on it and crank it out. Best case the threads on the socket are ok and just replace the plug. Worst case if the socket threads are messed up I'd replace the whole drain plug assembly 'cause I wouldn't trust the boat to a messed up drain plug.
Is it a T handle plug or square plug?

Skipper
05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
T-handle plugs have a square base where you can use a wrench to loosen/tighten. Larger wrench=more torque. Also, 12-15 inch crescent wrench on the handle of the T-handle is another option.

02ProstarSammyD
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
at worst case I would grind off the T handle and throw a socket on it with a big freaking breaker bar. Before I did that I'd spray some liquid wrench into it from above and below and let it sit for a night. Amazing what that stuff can do.

JohnE
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Never had that problem, but I also want to ask why someone would put the plug back in after winterizing? Good luck with it.

JimN
05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
The bolts on the raw water pump are brass- all of the other parts that look like brass are bronze and are much harder. Also, if you hammered on the plug, don't do it from the side unless you want the stem to break off.

Personally, since whoever serviced it re-installed the plug (not a good idea), I would have them remove it. If they booger up the hull fitting, they can fix that, too.

pmkkdx
05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
are you referring to the drain plug in the hull or one on the engine? not trying to be anal here, but are you sure you are loosening (not trying to tighten more)???

Jerseydave
05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
If it's the hull drain plug (either t-handle one or plug at transom) you could try spraying it with freon to make it contract or shrink then try to loosen it. Or you can try a heat gun around the area the plug goes into but be careful not to start a fire or damage the gelcoat.

ahhudgins
05-02-2011, 10:01 PM
are you referring to the drain plug in the hull or one on the engine? not trying to be anal here, but are you sure you are loosening (not trying to tighten more)???

I was waiting for someone else to ask first. My son tried to drain the oil out of the car (my car) and stripped the hole in the aluminum oil pan. He couldn't get it loose so he put an extension on the racket.....while turning it the wrong way.